• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

If you have an extra "Thanks" this holiday season...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
How often do you turn on your kitchen faucet? How often do you turn on a bath or shower faucet? Do you, occasionally, flush the toilet at your home? Where does the water come from that gushes from those faucets? Where does the "interesting stuff" go when you flush a toilet?

We see police and firefighters and emt's portrayed in movies and on television. You don't often see the same sense of duty attributed to street workers or water & wastewater department employees. Yet, if there's a water line break on Christmas Eve, it's fixed! On Christmas Day, someone is manning a drinking water facility to make sure you have water with which to cook. Someone is operating a wastewater plant to receive the "leftovers" of a Christmas dinner that many of us just flush away.

As we near the holiday season, if you see a water or street crew working near your home take time to say thanks. Find out where your local water and wastewater treatment plants are and run a plate of cookies by... and say thanks. I fully understand these are well paid municipal employees "just doing their job". However, go one day without turning on a tap in your home or being able to flush a toilet and see just how "interesting" life would be without them at their stations.

Sorry! Just saw a muddy, cold water line crew repairing a broken main in the dark last evening. It reminded me how much we take our water and wastewater systems for granted.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Rather unusual plea for thanks, but you're right, municipal workers are often forgotten, and we do take the work they do for granted.

I would add farmers to the list of those we often forget to thank. Thanks for the spuds, Zaphod!

Thanks, Limp.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Lemme tell ya, not having water is brutal. We went 2 days without it, city's issue but they were outside every one of those hours trying to fix it. I got home at 1 in the morning and bam, they were out there. Brought em a case of coke and box of doughnuts, cause I've been there working that late on something you don't even know how to fix, with people angry at you because its not working. Great thread man.

Members online

No members online now.