• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

If you knew it was Illegal, would you hit it???

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Below is a preview of the soon to be released driver from Geek.

aimg11.imageshack.us_img11_9864_bastardv.jpg

Basically, a DCT with (supposedly) ultra hot face that is (again, supposedly) way hotter than USGA guidelines....but he will NOT be sending it to the USGA for review, knowing it will fail.

SO, assuming it's hot, would you use it?

My opinion is, the same as it was when Callaway introduced the ERC...if it's not legal, I refuse to use it (on principals alone)....but apparently, my stance has caught a lot of heat ifrom some others...

Am I in the minority???

buykrux

May 15, 2009
id use it just to see how far it goes
there is nothing wrong IMO for using it in a round, but when it comes to tournament play id keep it in the car
IMO distance doesnt make too much of a score difference for me, i have a cobra i bomb but its not as easy to work as my mizuno which is 10 or so yards shorter
i shoot better scores with the mizuno overall because its never in trouble, plain and simple

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I wouldn't.

I'm a huge fan of Geek, but that head is hideous. A step back, as far as I'm concerned. Awful.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Kinda like the olson twins?

I would hit it for the same reason i would hit the 'hammer' lol, just to see.....if i were playing a tournament though, i obviously would not use it.

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
Using it for tournament play, or even any type of friendly competition, would be cheating.

I'd certainly play it just for fun, though.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I don't think I would even bother with spending the money on it unless I just got my hands on one for dirt cheap.

My question in this thread is does this mean some of the previous generation heads are gonna slide down in price?? I would like to get my hands on another driver head and have been looking at some of the Geek stuff.

Jason

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I find it awful looking, but if I was able to hit it better than my current driver I would do so. I don't compete and very very rarely play for money so I would be alright.

Anyway, what would a non-conforming driver do for me? Taking my 150yd straight + 150yd hook into a 150yd straight + 200yd hook? Yeah, that IS an Improvement! hehehehehe

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I find it awful looking, but if I was able to hit it better than my current driver I would do so. I don't compete and very very rarely play for money so I would be alright.

Anyway, what would a non-conforming driver do for me? Taking my 150yd straight + 150yd hook into a 150yd straight + 200yd hook? Yeah, that IS an Improvement! hehehehehe

It would add 6-8 yards to your drive. Minimal change. I don't understand this endeavour at all. Makes zero sense.

R35

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
no

reason? If I ever break any personal records, number of birdies, low round, whatever, it wouldn't feel right

runninlope

Aug 8, 2008
I wouldnt use it, And to be honest USGA faces are pretty hot with a ball and you wouldnt gain enough yardage with that club to really notice. It would probably get you 5 to 7 yards with what used to be a 300 yard drive. alot of this stuff is Gimmic. They dont sell you a nice club they sell you a nice sales line.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'd use it (if it worked) to mess with nututhugame's mind.... :D

Also Wi-Golfer, sssmokin, ejdahl21, and other Wisconsin Shot Talker's minds I guess...

I don't play in tournaments, just for fun. If we were playing for money of course I wouldn't use it.... :rolleyes::confused:

OP
indacup

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Thanks for the input guys.

I will not carry this head.

Not only is it really unethical to make something that is illegal, but due to the extreme thinness of the face, there will be a minimal, if any warrantee...certainly not for face breakage...and that is going to open up a can of worms for the dealer...AND buyer.

I see no real value in this product.

Too bad, I like Geek and I like Steve,,,but this time, I think it's a bad business move.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.