• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

iGOLF neo GPS Review

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I have some specific questions:

A.) Do distances to the F/C/B of the green adjust depending on where you are in relation to the green? Say I've blocked a shot 20 yards right of the fairway, and I can't see the green. Is the "front" measurement, then, the edge of the green closest to ME, or is it still the distance to the front of the green in relation to the middle of the fairway?

B.) Does this device do hazard distances, or ANY sort of mapping? Is it JUST F/C/B of greens?

C.) I can probably score a SonoCaddie for $250. Is the iGolf enough of a device to warrant not getting a SonoCaddie?

D.) What is the membership fee, or equivilent?

With the NEO the F/C/B is only a single point. The Skycaddie has a patented technology where the guy that maps the course walks all the way around the green. That way the F/B map in relation to where you are on the course.

The Center stays the same, obviously. It is the center.

Most of the Neo's courses that I have D/L'd are lacking. Some are flat-out wrong. BUT, you can map up to 4 points yourself (not including F/C/B which you can also change) if you wish to. Remember to save after every mapped point.

The SkyCaddie's maps are much, much better as they actually send folks to the course to walk it and map it, just as I said above with walking all the way around the actual green.

The Neo's maps are usually off at least a little bit. Their maps are mapped through Google Earth or the like. This works, if you don't mind being off by 3-10 yards.

The NEO GPS is a great tool if you map your own spots.

But inside 100 yards, I'll take my laser every time, thanks very much.

The NEO has a fee of $35 I think for "unlimited" maps. Truthfully, it's 100 maps. But, you can download all you want then never re-up with them and supposedly they won't turn off your GPS usage.

Which reminds me, I need to download the map that I had to have them redo as EVERY point on all 27 holes was off. They didn't even have the holes correct and it wasn't close. Because of the Google Earth mapping, I think they were just GUESSING where #1 was on each course then mapped them backwards green to tee or something.

I have no idea how they screwed the pooch on that course. After I wrote them, they got back to me in about a week and said it was remapped. Not bad turnaround time really.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm leaning toward a Sonocaddie, if I get any GPS. I love the looks it gives you. Anyone ever seen one? they're cool as hell.

bryank

Rastagolfarian
Nov 22, 2006
Just picked up a Neo for $110 to my door off Amazon...now the waiting. I'm sure it won't have every feature or be as accurate as the $3-400 models...but should be enough to get me hooked on GPS :)

Long live Shot Talk - Bryan

:usflag:

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I will be just as accurate, but short on features. The accuracy of the NEO amazes me.

bryank

Rastagolfarian
Nov 22, 2006
Sweet good to hear, thanks Lyle. I figured even if it was good for front, back, center, and learning the true distances of my clubs...I'll be a happy camper.

Happy New Year! Bryan

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Sweet good to hear, thanks Lyle. I figured even if it was good for front, back, center, and learning the true distances of my clubs...I'll be a happy camper.

Happy New Year! Bryan

That's where I'm at. I used the SG5 when I was in Orlando, and while it is a very nice unit, I found that specific distances to areas is only so helpful. I prefer a yardage book, especially since I can take notes on it.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I just ordered one of these units and it should be here within a week. I'm waiting patiently and will give my own review once I get it out on the course.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Anybody know if there is a means to take coordinates off of googleearth and map your own course with this unit????

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Either Augster has bad luck, or was mistaken.

3 courses so far with my iGolf Neo and every single one was spot on. If I could have guessed, it would have been a maximum of 1 yard. However, I would see how far it was to the front, then measure my shot from that point to the physical front of the green, each time I did this it was exactly right.

I love this thing! Fits right on my belt, doesn't disturb my swing, is easy to use, and a great addition! By far the best piece of equipment I've gotten in a long while.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
We finally agree on something Jeff!! :D

I've found it is dead nuts accurate on every course I've tried it on.

bryank

Rastagolfarian
Nov 22, 2006
My Neo just got here yesterday, got everything loaded easily and hope to get out to a course today and try it out....sweet so far, couldn't believe how small it was!

- Bryan

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
We finally agree on something Jeff!! :D

I've found it is dead nuts accurate on every course I've tried it on.

We agree on a lot you boob.

I took it to my home course today, accurate there too.

That said, I highly recommend this thing! Fits perfectly on my belt on the right side, don't even know its there during my swing, which is great because I'm pretty anal. Small, accurate, cheap, reliable, and a strong battery. Great deal!

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Damn, I cant wait to try mine that I got for a Christmas present, come'on spring!

I was a bit concerned about the belt clip thing myself, you say it doesnt bug ya at all? I figured I'd end up with it in my pocket.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Damn, I cant wait to try mine that I got for a Christmas present, come'on spring!

I was a bit concerned about the belt clip thing myself, you say it doesnt bug ya at all? I figured I'd end up with it in my pocket.

I thought it would too, but I put it just to the right of my right-most loop, obviously on the front of my body. Barely even tell its there.

🔥 Latest posts