• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

iGolf Triton

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
iGolf Triton / Bushnell Yardage Pro XG

I just recieved in the mail a new iGolf Triton. This is their latest gps unit that just began shipping on Jan. 12th. I have it plugged in to charge before I fire it up. They don't yet have the course image for any of the courses I play and I hope they get their butts in gear getting them up in the next few weeks. This unit is supposed to give you the full outline of the green just like other brand's expensive units. Until they get my courses up I will have to live with the same yardage files used with the Neo that only give yardages to the front middle & back.

I will get a full review up here once I get to use it. Hopefully the folks at iGolf read this and get to work getting the courses uploaded!!!!!

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I just got back from trying out the new Triton.

I am very impressed. I downloaded my home course and loaded it onto the unit. The software is easy to install and use. So far they only have distances to the front middle and backs of the greens for my home course. i have submitted a request for the green outlines and they claim it takes about a week.

I goofed around on the 4 holes closest to the clubhouse. I have to say the yardages are spot on. The center of the green as programmed into the GPS is spot on the center of the actual green.

Another impressive feature is the shot distance feature. Being injured I was only able to hit wedges and a few 8 irons.

One thing I did that was very interesting is that it was very windy today....about 15 to 20. On one of our longer holes, from the middle of the fairway I hit 6 balls directly into the wind with a pitching wedge and 6 balls directly downwind with a pitching wedge. Using the shot distance feature I was able to see that into the wind my average was 95 yards with a long of 102. Downwind the average was 158 with a long of 167.

I also hit some 60* wedges into the wind and found they were going 60 yards.

I played with the unit for a little over an hour. It is very easy to use. So far I am thrilled with it. I will report back once I have the full course image loaded in.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

I also hit some 60* wedges into the wind and found they were going 60 yards.

Fisher, I'm curious about why you hit the 60 degree into the wind. A strong head wind can play havoc with a lob wedge. Wouldn't it have been better to play something like a half 8 iron to keep the ball low & out of the wind?

(not having a shot at you, just curious)

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I was goofing around on the course. No bag. 3 clubs, 6 balls and a putter.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Great to hear, if for no other reason, iGolf is keeping a strong thing going.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
My home course was finally mapped. It only took 21 days.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
Fisher, can you tell me the size of the file for your home course. Normal files are only 7k, so I'm wondering how big the new files are. Do you end up actually downloading two separate files, one for the yardages and the other for the image, or is it all one file?

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
The image files used in the Triton are 34kb. It is one file.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Well the Triton died yesterday. The unit worked fine for my whole round and when I checked my score at the end I also checked the battery and it was at 40%. I then turned it off. When I got home I plugged it in to charge and I noticed that the display was not saying "Battery Charging" as it normally does. I immediately unplugged it and tried to turn it on and it won't come on. The synch software knows the unit is connected but it shows no courses in the memory and it won't let me add any. The display comes on and the backlight comes on but the display is blank. My guess is the memory or sofware in the unit went haywire. I'm surprised there is no reset button on these things. My car GPS has a reset button on it and about three times in the past year it has crapped out but came right back once I pressed and held the reset button.

I guess I will now get to find out how good their warranty department is.:mad:

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I sent it back day before yesterday and hopefully I will have it back in a week or two. Its amazing how addicted you can get to a golf GPS. I played the last two nights after work and felt completely lost on the course without it.

The beauty of these things is knowing what yardage you need to hit exactly picking a club and forgetting about it from there on. If the GPS says I got 155 to the flag I know a smooth high 7 iron is perfect. There is no doubt entering into my mind at that point. Now I just have to make a swing.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
The beauty of these things is knowing what yardage you need to hit exactly picking a club and forgetting about it from there on. If the GPS says I got 155 to the flag I know a smooth high 7 iron is perfect. There is no doubt entering into my mind at that point. Now I just have to make a swing.

that's the beauty of all GPS's, unfortunately, your mapping issues and especially your hardware issues with that particular device make saving a few bucks not worth it.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Well, I got a brand new Triton in the mail today to replace the one that died. The turn around was 6 days door to door which is very good considering this was shipped coast to coast.

My biggest fear is that since the first Triton died after only about 3 golf months of actual use, how long will the replacement last. Will it die right after the warranty ends? What then?

Hopefully I have better luck with this one. I will keep everyone posted.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.