• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

IG's demo review

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So anyway I sneaked off to the Golf Store one evening while in the US and hit just about everything I could. Spent 2 hours demoing everything and here's my thoughts.

1. Only do this if you have nothing else to do!
2. Make sure to warm up, this is a lot of hitting required. I could hardly move the next day.
3. Make sure to tell the guy at the start that you are "seriously" buying clubs tonight. Then fake a "can't quite decide" at the end. I had that dude running round getting me a load of clubs. Boy was he pissed off at the end. I did buy a glove, some balls, hat etc. but he thought Christmas was coming.

Top of the list for Irons
The MacGregor blades - I tried the V Foil M565 but the M675 are about the sweetest thing I have ever hit. They look fantastic, and feel so solid. I wish I had a chance to try them at the range, but from 2 iron right though to wedge, (yes Folks I hit every one) I was in awe. I have only read some reviews of these irons but they are now top of my Christmas list. They had Rifle 5.5 shafts, sweeettttt!

I tried the Ping blades (quite nice), The Mizunos (30s, 32s and 33s) - I wanted to like these but they were not even close to the MacGs (I only hit the demo 6 iorns with S300 DG shafts. Admittedly they looked the best. Wilsons Fi5 - I really wanted to like these, but somehow they felt quite dead in my hands, perhaps I got tired toward the end.

Top of the list for Driver
The Launcher (Composite). I tried to like the Ping, the Ignite, the Cally 454, Cobra but nothing came off the face as nice as the Cleveland. I have never hit one before but it felt lovely, made a loud thwack and felt very balanced. No complaints about any of the others. Only regret is that I didn't get to try the new Titliest.

Top of the list for Putters
Liked the Ping Doc, and Monza. Scotty Camerons felt nice but I think they are overpriced. I tried to like the 2 ball (new and old) but that's a head messer for me. Nothing really jumped out at me to make me want one.

Wedges

Cleveland CG10 Balck Pearl. Nothing else to add. Looks awesome.

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
I hear you on the irons, those mac's are sweet, though I liked the Mizunos a bitter more, but they were close. The comp Luanchers is also da-bamb.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Wedges
Cleveland CG10 Balck Pearl. Nothing else to add. Looks awesome.

I understand the Black Pearl is even better. ;)

Sorry, but anyway, you won't regret getting one of these. Great wedge. :)

AMcNeel

Awesome
Feb 23, 2005
lol IG if you had done that to me i would have flipped...we have to tape up everything that the customer hits. . .sooo... not only would i had to run around and get you everything you it would take me about 2 minutes more per club to tape up the damn thing. . .but we get people like you in the store all the time, they come in and wate our time and then we never see them again. . .so i wouldnt worry about it. . .

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
AMcNeel said:
lol IG if you had done that to me i would have flipped...we have to tape up everything that the customer hits. . .sooo... not only would i had to run around and get you everything you it would take me about 2 minutes more per club to tape up the damn thing. . .but we get people like you in the store all the time, they come in and wate our time and then we never see them again. . .so i wouldnt worry about it. . .

I gotta admit that I do take advantage of the retailers on clubs.

I really like the job our Golf Director does for us. When you are a club member - it is quite expensive. Our monthly dues are $335. That's just to say hello and walk onto the property. My average monthly bill is about $550.

The point is you are spending about $6-$7K per year to be a member and if you have a Golf Director who does a crappy job - it really, really sux. You are spending all that $$ and you have someone that you either do not like - or who cannot run a good golf operation. Sometimes they hire crappy assistants or bag boys and your service level stinks.

Well anyway, our Golf Director has been with us for 10 years. He is outstanding, and we get good service everywhere. So I want him to be happy and one of the ways I do this is to buy equipment from him.

He has a "standing informal pricing policy" - he will match the price of any/all local retailers. These include Edwin Watts and Dick's - huge companies with big buying power.

So what I do (and many of my fellow members) is to go out a demo stuff from these companies and make our decision. Then return the demo clubs and order it from our Golf Director. At first, I thought that he would place an order with a distributor somewhere and I would have to wait a week or so for it to arrive. Nope. He goes to the same store where I demoed the club and buys it at some sort of "professional discount" and then sells it to me at their retail price. So I while am certain that they are not passing it on to him at their cost, this means that they are still making a profit on the club - just less than if they sold it at full retail.

I think it works out OK for everybody. The retailer makes a little, the Golf Director makes a little and I get what I want at a competitive price. Also the Golf Director does not have to stock every brand because he knows that some of the members will simply tell him what they want regardless of whether he carries that equipment line or not. This is what I did with my Ogio Grom bag in February. He did not carry the brand but got it for me...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You bastard, IG. ;)

I just bought my Mp-33's and now your making me wish I had have gone with the M675's. :(

I like the 33's, but those Mac's are so sleek and sexy..

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
You bastard, IG. ;)

I just bought my Mp-33's and now your making me wish I had have gone with the M675's. :(

I like the 33's, but those Mac's are so sleek and sexy..

R35

Do we need to get a pool going to guess how long it takes for you to get them? ;)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
DaveE said:
Do we need to get a pool going to guess how long it takes for you to get them? ;)

He's a closet Ho. Claims he is not a Ho but we all know that he is a Ho.

Probably claimed he played the Cally's for five years - but only played em for a season.

Just long enough to have a Callaway avatar and switch to Mizunos.

Yup - those McGregor's will be sitting in his garage by the end of the season.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
Probably claimed he played the Cally's for five years - but only played em for a season.

A season and a half, thank you very much. :p

Before that, I had a set of Ping Zings that I used for 2 rounds. Didn't work for me. And before that, a set of Ping Eye Clones, had those for close to 12 years.

Ho? Maybe. But i've seen worse cases. ;)

R35

PS....M675, hey?....hmm....LOL...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
A season and a half, thank you very much.

Canadian Season = 45 minutes. :p

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I'm dying to try this new titleist driver it is meant to be a beast.

Also had a surprise phone call earlier from IG, looks like it could be IG, KA, Dave and myself soon permitting I have no exams etc..

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
I hit the new Titleist two days ago a couple times. It is nice but not any longer then the 983 series, just a little more forgiven on off center hits. I tried the 905 S with Fuji shaft. Nice but not worth 400 as of now.

🔥 Latest posts