• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

IG's eye on Augusta

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Great post IG...I think we need a "post major weigh in" for them all...maybe you can tee it up after the USOpen next month.

My thoughts...

I am surprised that the Euros are not making a better showing. The stretch between the late 80's through early 90's was dominated by European players from 5-6 different nations. This stumps me.

It is interesting to me now that there is no dominant Young Lion coming out of any country...sure there are plenty of good young players to go around from all corners of the globe, but the next Tiger is nowhere to be seen...Tiger is 30 years old now and still well into his prime but there is certainly no male Michele Wie on the US, Euro or Asian tours. As I thought about my own Masters picks, I looked to past champions in their 30's and 40's who had the maturity and patience to win. Frankly, I think there is a bit of a talent drop right now...

The European player I am most baffled about is Sergio. He seemed like the next Young Lion at 20 and he seems to have tailed off...

Fred Couples putting woes (sadly) have been displayed before in Major competition. I saw this in person at the 1990 US PGA Championship here. He was the best player by far tee-to-green but really got the yips and blew it to Wayne Grady...that three-jab on 14 was sickening but not shocking. Too bad for him.

We had the delightful David Feherty on our US telecast. It is facinating to hear David on the mike during this tourney because he obviously must stifle himself to some extent...but his personality still shines through.

The course changes ended up fine. So much of the hullabaloo about it all was nothing in the end...Kudos on this to the members.

I really agree that Michelson and Couples were really having fun and I could never, ever anticipate seeing Woods interact with a fellow competitor in such a jovial manner during a tourney. That was great. It shows you can still win/compete like a lion, whilst engaging with someone else.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
It was a great tourney, as most all Masters are.

Phil and Freddie are best friends as was noted earlier. Tough to be "intense" on Sunday at the Masters when you have two pals in the final group that are also nice guys and media darlings.

You'd never see that with Tiger and anyone else in the final group.

Tiger is now 0-27 when not having the lead, or sharing the lead going into Sunday's round at the Majors. I think CBS KNEW this stat and showed less and less coverage of Tiger on Sunday. He doesn't catch anyone from behind. He DOES close, because when you are in the final group, it's a match-play situation most times and nobody is better at match play than Woods.

Sergio Garcia is basically finished in my opinion. He got the yips with his putting way too early in his career. Tee to green, he's as good or better than most, but he's terrible on the greens. I really don't know what else he can do. Maybe a long putter.

I just WISH we could get the BBC broadcast here in the states. I absolutely LOVE Peter Allis. I wish they had that as an SAP broadcast or something during the Masters. Anything to get rid of Nantz, Wadkins and Clampett. Feherety is good, but reeled in by Augusta, and Kostis is always excellent.

Give me the BBC broadcast and Kostis.

The US Open is next in line for the Mickelslam. There are a few parallels between Phil and Hogan. Hogan didn't win his first major until he was 34, and then he won 8. Phil has won 3 out of 9 IN THE TIGER ERA! Something that would have been unheard of 5 years ago.

I have no idea why someone hasn't, in the modern era, tried the 2 drivers thing before. A LOT of folks will be trying it soon enough. These guys are so good with their short games, they don't NEED an extra short club. Phil works with Pelz, and I bet he can tell you exactly the carry yardage of his 56* at 7:30, 8:30, 9:00, 10:00, 10:30, 11:00. When you get that exacting, it releases the need for another wedge.

I don't really like Phil for personal reasons. I much prefer Tiger to win. But the more competition there is in the majors, and week in-week out, the better it is for the fan. I applaud what Phil has done mainly because it will push Tiger even more.

I know I'm looking forward to the Masters next year already.

🔥 Latest posts