• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ike makes for a crazy round

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I tried to play today before the rain sets in from Hurricane Ike. The wind was already howling about 30 mph when I tee'd off. I've worked for months to get my ball flight up, and today it bit me in the butt. First question, how do you keep the ball low to the ground on purpose?

1st tee I hit a 3 iron in an effort to keep the ball as low as possible due to a cross wind. It still got up to high and the winds caught it and pushed it into the left rough. Bogey, ok, not bad in gail force winds I think.

2nd hole the wind is to my back, I hit my 3wood and come up just short of the green, 307 yards btw, par. Oh yeah, the Scotty's are on restriction, I was using the old McGregor The Fat lady Swings, 2 putts for a Birdie, yeah baby!

3rd hole, winds are across the fairway again, crush the driver but the wind kills it, ends up maybe 250 yard drive in the fairway, I started it WAY left. Par this hole, ok, decent round going here in spite of the winds.

4th hole, short par 3. Winds are crossing and to my back a little. Grab the 56º and play the wind. Opps, not enough though, wind kills the ball and I end up in the bunker. Chip out and 2 putt for a bogey.

5th hole, dog leg left but the winds are from the left, lay up into the fairway before the turn. Approach shot into the wind almost hits a 737 heading to Memphis and comes up short, Bogey.

6th hole, par 3, 175 yards into the wind. I normally hit a 6 iron on this hole. Grab the 21º hybrid, yeah I know, I hate these things but I thought I'd give it another go. Pure the hybrid choaked down an inch but it hits the wind and hooks left, off the green. Chip on and 1 putt for par.

6th hole, from the tee box it feels protected from the wind due to trees lining the right side of the fairway. But I'm know better, grab the 3 iron and pure it, just as the ball hits it's appex the wind gust up to maybe 45mph and the ball slams back down to earth after about 175 yards in the left rough. Grab the hybrid again, aim right to play the wind and come up just short of the green. maybe these hybrids aren't so bad after all? Chip and 2 putt for a bogey.

8th hole, as I'm driving to the tee the bottom falls out, torrental downpour. I stop and put the rain cover on my bag and wait out the rain. It finally stops raining so I grab the driver, it's a long par 4. A couple of waggles to loosen up and take a swing. The club flies out of my hands and almost goes as far as the ball. 2nd question, what grips work best wet and in high humidity, Lamkin Crosslins suck!!!!!!!!!! I bust out laughing almost uncontrolably, I don't know why, it just struck me as hilarious. I grab my 3 wood after retrieving my driver and moving up to my ball and repeat the club toss routine. I can't hold onto these Crosslins wet so i give up and head back to the Pro Shop.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Here in the heart of the midwest (Kansas) we get 20-30 mph winds all the time. I played on Tuesday is a fairly steady 20-25 mph wind and it didn't seem all that windy to me, pretty much normal.

That said, if you want to hit the ball lower and have the wind affect your shots much less...

Play the ball back in your stance a bit and swing easier. The ball will come off the clubface lower, with less spin than your normal high iron and will bore through the wind better. You may have to take a club or two more than normal. Try playing a round or two this way and see how it works, it's a little different than tossing the ball up high and landing it very softly.

The guys from the UK are quite familiar with this particular shot technique. :D

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I didn't have any rain in my neck of the woods, but I will comment on the shot technique.

Much like the other poster, I just play the ball back in my stance and swing easier. Swing normally, but maybe try and push the ball, instead of hitting down on it. I'm great at it, due to punching out of pine trees and crap. :)

But on the grips.. I'd highly, highly suggest the new decade multi compounds. I know they cost a bit more than other grips, but I swear by them, and put them on everything.
With the humidity in the south, and the sweat and whatever else, grips get silly quick, and I never have a problem with my grips now.

Infact, they almost eat my gloves they are so tacky.

Try one out maybe. I've played in the rain with them, without a glove, and I was perfectly fine with it.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks FATCITY, I'll give those grips a try.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Never use a glove in the rain. And I also use the Decade grips (or the Sharpro copies). But wearing eyeglasses, playing in the rain for me sucks. :(

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
No wind to speak of when the rains of IKE hit up here...just a nice light rain that we actually needed around here. I stayed in the house and watched Football and wimmenz volley ball on the tube...no golf for me.

I use crosslines but so far, i have never been caught in the rain...never had that issue.

jonjoyner83

Apr 1, 2006
How'd you know that plane was going to Memphis?:laugh:

It was carrying a plane full of Titans fans back to Nashville to get them ready to beat Houston, kind of like they did the Jags...;)

Aw crap, you're a panther fan...nevermind.

🔥 Latest posts