• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Illegal Putter Grip?

TyLawrence

Mar 15, 2008
I was recently playing in a match and my opponent was using a putter grip that was narrow in the butt and progressively got larger. I know that these grips are illegal on regular clubs, but are they illegal for putters as well? I was reading about them in the USGA rule book but I'm a little confused. Thanks.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Why would a grip be illegal? I wasn't aware that any were, but then I have never read the entire rules book.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I'm not so sure that "reverse taper" grips are illegal. Actually, I'm pretty sure they are legal. And so does Feel Golf, who makes a reverse taper grip.

Feel Golf Co, Inc.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I was recently playing in a match and my opponent was using a putter grip that was narrow in the butt and progressively got larger. I know that these grips are illegal on regular clubs, but are they illegal for putters as well? I was reading about them in the USGA rule book but I'm a little confused. Thanks.
Here's the USGA rule on putter grips:

The Rules of Golf

"(ii) A putter grip may have a non-circular cross-section, provided the cross-section has no concavity, is symmetrical and remains generally similar throughout the length of the grip. (See Clause (v), below.)"

I'm confused by that sentence as well. Obviously the grip can get smaller as it travels down the shaft.

The Rules don't say anything about whether it can or can't get bigger--so I'd assume that it's OK.

OP
TyLawrence

TyLawrence

Mar 15, 2008
Haha nope, lost by two strokes. I gave out a few too many strokes and they came back to bite me. So I resorted to trying to dig up some rules violation in an effort to avoid paying.

I think I have a link from the USGA that suggests the Feel design might be illegal. Ill post it as soon as I have 15 other posts.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Enlow grips... www.enlowgrips.com... are USGA legal for use on any club including your putter. They are "reverse taper", growing larger from the butt end down.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
doesnt K.J. Choi have a large grip on his putter ?

My understandings on grips are;-

Putter grips are pretty much anything goes like KJ's or a Split grip on a Belly/Broomhandle putter. They're not aloud to be round in one hand and have a straight cross section in the other...thats pretty much the only regulation.

Grips on other clubs are not allowed to have the flat section period.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
From the 2008 Rules of Golf on USGA's website (pages 130-131 in the .pdf file of the Rules of Golf)

3. Grip (see Fig. VII)
The grip consists of material
added to the shaft to enable the
player to obtain a firm hold. The
grip must be fixed to the shaft,
must be straight and plain in
form, must extend to the end of
the shaft and must not be molded
for any part of the hands. if no
material is added, that portion of
the shaft designed to be held by
the player must be considered the
grip.
(i) for clubs other than putters
the grip must be circular
in cross-section, except
that a continuous, straight,
slightly raised rib may be
incorporated along the full
length of the grip, and a slightly indented spiral is permitted
on a wrapped grip or a replica of one.
(ii) A putter grip may have a non-circular cross-section,
provided the cross-section has no concavity, is symmetrical
and remains generally similar throughout the
length of the grip. (See Clause (v), below.)
(iii) The grip may be tapered but must not have any bulge
or waist. its cross-sectional dimensions measured in any
direction must not exceed 1.75 inches (44.45 mm).
(iv) for clubs other than putters the axis of the grip must
coincide with the axis of the shaft.
(v) A putter may have two grips, provided each is circular
in cross-section, the axis of each coincides with the
axis of the shaft, and they are separated by at least
1.5 inches (38 mm).

It looks like (iii) addresses the issue at hand -- it specifically states that the grip may indeed be tapered, but not have a bluge or rib or waist.

Members online

No members online now.