• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm a beginner looking for advice on my swing

Stat-K

Mar 24, 2009
Hi my name is robert I'm an emcee/producer from the bay. My room got flooded when the power went out in the room and the pumps got deactivated. Me and my friend were looking for a fusebox to turn the power back on in my room (turns out my house was so old that there wasnt a fusebox) and instead i found three golf clubs my late Uncle Jim gave me when i was about 12. I remembered all the times i went to my aunt and uncles house and he'd pull out his indoor portable putting green and how much i loved it haha, and then i remembered all the times i used to go the driving range thereafter as well and how much fun it was. So right then and there i was like yoooo joey we gotta go up to tilden and go to the driving range. Its been 2 weeks since that day and i've been hooked ever since. It was those random set of events that got me playing and i'm so happy i've found golf.

So i got on here for one main reason i want help and advice for a beginner like me. I just uploaded my golf swing to daily motion to put it on this post so i could get some constructive criticism on my swing and what i should do to correct my (Many I know) Flaws.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8ri88_p1060497

Thank you

Sincerely
-Robert

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
Try putting the vid in the shot talk forum. It'll get more reviews. Your vid is still being published so when it does, I'll come back and offer ya some advice. I suck though. lol

OP
Stat-K

Stat-K

Mar 24, 2009
I would post the video in here but it doesnt let me embed the video ::bang: :(

OP
Stat-K

Stat-K

Mar 24, 2009
There its published now and i'll post it where you said fo sho

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
All in all, for a beginner its not a bad swing.

But, you did ask for criticism so here goes. Your lower body is way too active, try to quieten it down a bit. And from that angle, it looks like you are initiating your downswing completely with your arms. Try firing your hips first. I bet you are fighting a slice aren't you?

OP
Stat-K

Stat-K

Mar 24, 2009
omg your a genius haha I am fighting a slice. It always flys to the right lol i shall take the advice to the driving range today and i'll keep posting vids thanks man

OP
Stat-K

Stat-K

Mar 24, 2009
And on top of that what club should i be primarily practicing my swing on?

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I'm not going to say much, because who am I to give lessons when I'm still taking them!
It looks to me like you are falling back onto your right leg in an attempt to help the ball into the air. You have to learn to trust that the loft of your club will launch the ball into the air. When you start your backswing you need to feel the sensation of transferring your weight to your left side as you rotate your hips open. This should also help you to hit the ball first before you take a divot. In turn, your ball should launch into the air, without any help from you!
I've had two different pros give me very similar drills to practice this. Pick a target around 100-120 yards down the range. Take a 6 or 7 iron. Take shorter backswings, accelerate through the ball and try to hit that 100 yard sign. Look for good contact, meaning divot after the ball. If you can't do it with these 1/2-3/4 swings, you shouldn't be practicing full swings. I revert to this drill ALL the time when I feel I'm a little out of sync.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Two drills for you to work on:

1. Feet together drill. Just like it sounds. Hit shots with your feet together. Hit a 7-iron off the tee, choking up a bit on the club. Don't make full swings. You're trying to feel rhythm and balance.

2. Gary Player "step-through" drill. Hit 7-irons and as you swing through the ball let your right foot push off the ground and take a step downrange. You want to feel your weight moving strongly to the left. Don't swing hard.

🔥 Latest posts