• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm an old man - the years fly by

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
About godknowshowmanyyearsago - I was at a medical meeting down at the beach. I sold computers to medical practices at that time.

This was a meeting where all the docs brought their families (and we brought ours) and it was a great example of a "working vacation". Work from 9-12 and then go to the beach or play golf.

I had quite a few customers there and I was dressed for golf at the mid-morning break. One of my customers came up to me with his ten year old son and asked me if I was playing that afternoon. Of course I replied affirmatively..

Next thing ya know - he asks if his kid can go with me....says he is a good player....yadayadyadyyadayada....

I am thinking that I CANNOT believe this crap, but of course I say, "Sure doc, I'll be delighted for Scotty to play with us..."

His mom drives him out to the course and I meet him on the practice green. She pays at the shop and we are ready to go...

First tee, I get up there and hit it long but in the woods on the right. Scotty stands up there and knocks it about 190 with his driver straight down the middle.

I go into the woods and hit a low runner out into the fairway. Scotty gets out his 3 wood and hits it about 170 straight down the middle. He is short of the green.

I hit on and am about 20 feet away for par.

Scotty stands up there and hits his chip to about three feet and without further ado - drains it confidently.

I miss my putt.

Without boring you with all the details, the first hole was very indicative of the entire round of golf. Scott played from the men's tees and fashioned a very respectable 84. I shot an 86 and was blowing it by him but was all over the golf course..Scott Never hit a ball out of the fairway. No, I don't think he got even close to the rough. Straight down the middle every time.

So time passes. I always read the morning paper for the golf scores...USPGA, LPGA, Champions Tour, European Tour, local amateur tourments - shit anything about golf - I read about it.

I start noticing his name in the Juniors - Scott Weatherly. He is a pretty good playa.

The years pass and I see he has gotten a golf scholarship to Auburn. From time to time I see his name listed in the field of collegiate tournaments in the Southeast.

So today, I come home from playing and plop down in the kitchen to eat. I am ravenous and heat up last night's Chinese leftovers.

Turn on Golf Channel and they have live coverage of a Nationwide event.

Scott Weatherly is leading the field.

Although I don't feel old....it blows me away how fast time goes by...

Mister Bater

Jan 13, 2005
Bravo said:
About godknowshowmanyyearsago - I was at a medical meeting down at the beach. I sold computers to medical practices at that time.

This was a meeting where all the docs brought their families (and we brought ours) and it was a great example of a "working vacation". Work from 9-12 and then go to the beach or play golf.

I had quite a few customers there and I was dressed for golf at the mid-morning break. One of my customers came up to me with his ten year old son and asked me if I was playing that afternoon. Of course I replied affirmatively..

Next thing ya know - he asks if his kid can go with me....says he is a good player....yadayadyadyyadayada....

I am thinking that I CANNOT believe this crap, but of course I say, "Sure doc, I'll be delighted for Scotty to play with us..."

His mom drives him out to the course and I meet him on the practice green. She pays at the shop and we are ready to go...

First tee, I get up there and hit it long but in the woods on the right. Scotty stands up there and knocks it about 190 with his driver straight down the middle.

I go into the woods and hit a low runner out into the fairway. Scotty gets out his 3 wood and hits it about 170 straight down the middle. He is short of the green.

I hit on and am about 20 feet away for par.

Scotty stands up there and hits his chip to about three feet and without further ado - drains it confidently.

I miss my putt.

Without boring you with all the details, the first hole was very indicative of the entire round of golf. Scott played from the men's tees and fashioned a very respectable 84. I shot an 86 and was blowing it by him but was all over the golf course..Scott Never hit a ball out of the fairway. No, I don't think he got even close to the rough. Straight down the middle every time.

So time passes. I always read the morning paper for the golf scores...USPGA, LPGA, Champions Tour, European Tour, local amateur tourments - shit anything about golf - I read about it.

I start noticing his name in the Juniors - Scott Weatherly. He is a pretty good playa.

The years pass and I see he has gotten a golf scholarship to Auburn. From time to time I see his name listed in the field of collegiate tournaments in the Southeast.

So today, I come home from playing and plop down in the kitchen to eat. I am ravenous and heat up last night's Chinese leftovers.

Turn on Golf Channel and they have live coverage of a Nationwide event.

Scott Weatherly is leading the field.

Although I don't feel old....it blows me away how fast time goes by...

Mr B, I hope that young man remembers your kindness in letting him play with you. Had you refused or been mean to him, his future may have taken an altogether different path, something far less honorable.

Like running a golf chat room...

Mister Bater

Jan 13, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
Or perpetuating a preposterous identity story. :D

Mr Sling! Touche, old boy, touche!

But, Mr Bravo will back up the tale, as will Irish!

But, to be perfectly honest, it bothers me not if KA's reputation - or mine- is slandered. Will bother him, though..! hehehehehe...the sensitive wee Jock that he is.

Think what you will!

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Mister Bater said:
Mr Sling! Touche, old boy, touche!

But, Mr Bravo will back up the tale, as will Irish!

But, to be perfectly honest, it bothers me not if KA's reputation - or mine- is slandered. Will bother him, though..! hehehehehe...the sensitive wee Jock that he is.

Think what you will!

I will vouch for MB's veracity...

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
What a great story Bravo... I follow up from time to time on some of my former students that are currently playing hockey in the Q (For those not familiar it's the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League - basically a stepping stone to the NHL) I wonder if any of these kids will ever get drafted.

Bravo - On another note, are you still in the healthcare IT business?? I only ask, because that is what I am currently doing.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
VtDivot said:
What a great story Bravo... I follow up from time to time on some of my former students that are currently playing hockey in the Q (For those not familiar it's the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League - basically a stepping stone to the NHL) I wonder if any of these kids will ever get drafted.

Bravo - On another note, are you still in the healthcare IT business?? I only ask, because that is what I am currently doing.

No I am not in it now but may return to it - bc our current business is going poorly.

What do you do?

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Nice story Bravo. Looks like Scott's daddy hit the jackpot... not that he needs it anyways :p

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Bravo said:
No I am not in it now but may return to it - bc our current business is going poorly.

What do you do?

Am a software engineer. We sell different types of software to pretty much every health care market possible. The project I work on, is a web based claims billing software... much more fun than teaching little punks :)

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yes I have a background in this. A friend here works for Cerner Healthcare Systems. They have a claims processing center here that clears millions of electronic claims each month...

It's a small world.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Bravo said:
Yes I have a background in this. A friend here works for Cerner Healthcare Systems. They have a claims processing center here that clears millions of electronic claims each month...

It's a small world.

I haven't heard of Cerner yet, but we partner with several large clearinghouse type companies (WebMD, GatewayEDI, AnthemBCBS), so maybe in the future we'll team up with them somehow. The company I work for is called IDX, it's a pretty large company, I work in a small division (50 or so FTE's) that does the exact same thing that your friend's company does. I am currently on the development side of the ball, but have spent time doing both support and implementation. I am prob one of the lucky few who enjoys their work... (we won't talk about my last career though ;)

We like living in the US as well... we have started our green card process and hope to become permanent residents soon. Our son was born here so he's a dual citizen now.

Well that's my life story - please flame me now, I deserve so after this post ;)

WILL IT EVER STOP RAINING?!?!?!?!

Members online

No members online now.