• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm getting lessons again...

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
JasonMacIsaac said:
I never took lessons in my life. I can't afford that sort of stuff. I guess my dad's old eyes will have to do.
Take the easy way out. Find a club that is doing a demo day and while you are trying clubs they will give you pointers. If they are any good at all you could actually get a free 1/2 hour lesson. I see it all the time.
This weekend we had one guy that spent 5 hours hitting balls.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Good job B, I just signed back up for my coaching program that I had discontinued during exams. Too bad it went up in price in the meantime, sheisters.

No, I'm kidding, they're cool guys. But the point is...lessons = good, glad to hear it.

And Rock, there's no way in hell that lessons are NEVER a bad thing. I remember when I first started taking a few lessons 3 years ago and the guy was great, but it was too pricey for me so I tried going to another guy that had a fairly good rep and after spending a couple hundred bucks seeing him, he turned a bad golfer into a worse golfer. I wasn't happy, to say the least. Went back to the first guy and in one lesson, I was back on my feet and shooting lower than ever.

Sometimes, lessons can be bad - it's all about finding the right teacher.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I only took a lesson once in my life, as my parents forced me to. Completely screwed my swing back then. Since then, never took any lessons either, always been an autodidact, and prefer to learn on my own. And it's not a matter of pride, just that I like finding stuff by myself.

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:
I realize that after all these years - I ain't gonna be scratch. Maybe it is these kind of mechanical checkpoints that lead to scratch play....but I have a hard time internalizing and reproducing this kind of concept.

I doubt I'll ever get to that point either. It would take entirely too much patience...of which I have nihil. Instead, my focus is on the short game. It's a lot easier to dial in, IMO.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The best $50 I ever spent...

I get out there today and in ten minutes, we both have it figured out.

I was moving my arms too far behind my body. This was causing the overthetop move and all the other crap. In about 30 minutes he has me hitting the ball like last summer.

I love the "feel method" he teaches which he said he learned from a guy named John Carroll in Naples, FL.

I cannot wait to play this weekend...Ima gonna play on Sunday this time.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I went up to our place and hit balls followed by a pretty good workout.

I hit it much better. Am playing tomorrow at 9:30 and if I can hit half my fairways, then it will be an early success.

We'll see...

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
Hey, B, I'm not too far from you. Any hints on the guy's name and is he available to the public? I can see the benefit of a 90 minute drive north, visit to the folks, lesson. . . .

🔥 Latest posts