• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm not complaining but ..

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
the figures shouldn't add up, but they do. The internet makes work for idle hands, 2 weeks ago, during some downdown I snagged a used 10.5* Geek DCT shoed with a 46 inch untipped UL540 REGULAR Shaft. OK sez I, first thing to do is take it into Mr Clubmaker and have her tipped an inch before we get out on the course. As it happened I got a call for a game the same day as it arrived, so I just put it in the bag to show the guys.

My current driver set up is the TM 460TP with stock Reax shaft giving the following numbers from a session on the Zelocity(?) monitor

SS 109mph, Ball Speed 153mph, Launch 13.8*, Spin 2,600 rpm, Carry 242yds, Roll 20yds

No need for driver on the 1st, so out she comes on #2 to the great amusement of the 4some. A pond down the right of #2 begins @ 239yards and finishes @ 257yards (mapped on my GPS). So with the aid of a slight helping breeze off the right I waggle this Limey like a piece of aldente spaghetti - well it towers off the clubface (which I'd half expected to be a balloon shot with the soft shaft) .. cleared the pond, pitch mark was 2 yards away, so she flew close to 260yards .. the laughing stopped !

The next few drives were a mish mash of pushes and pulls, undoubtedly coz I was trying to bate the snot off it. Sanity returned on the 2nd par 5, a downbreeze hole, and the first real drive with some rollout, leaving me just inside the white 200yard marker.

Anyways not to labour the point, 2 further outings In The European Club and Portmarnock (both links courses) with firmer fairways confirmed my impression that I've gained 15-20 yards using a 46inch regular flex shaft, disperion has tightened up somewhat from my 1st round, with the majority of drives favouring the right side with 5-15 yard draw. Isn't it strange that we're predisposed to bracket our own shaft flex suitability based primarily on SS ?

Anyways the clubmaker will go without my €20 for the time being... just thought I'd share with ya .. there's plenty of reviews on the DCT and Graman so I wont go into that aspect. Cheers Dave

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Your numbers seemed quite low, initially. With 153mph ballspeed, 109 SS, you should be doing better than 242 carry.

Good work :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well, glad to hear it's an improvement I guess. I assume you know your #'s are still far from optimal. 109 has + 160 ballspeed potential and with that launch and spin 272 carry would be the optimal #. I don't want to sound like a jerk, you are probably a better player than me but ideally you'd want to pay attention to where in the clubface you are consistantly striking the ball. That would be the #1 reason for the low power transfer #'s, #2 would be the shaft.

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Yeah lads, I take yer numbers criticsm constructively ... yer dead right with regard to me not optimising the full potential of a 109mph SS. I'm guessing that either (or both) Launch and Spin Rate needed addressing with the 460TP.

There was a thread posted a few years ago of a website, where you could tweak SS, Lauch and Spin, think it was a flash player gizmo .. to provide yer optimum driving set up .. I think it also included some other variable called "Smash Factor", which was a numeric notation of how solid on the clubface you hit the driver.

So yer tellin me there's another 10 yards carry to find .. wooo hooo ... but thanks for your input .. appreciated

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Aye Dave but you need a decent swing to get that extra stuff! :D:D:D

In seriousness though, you really don't. Believe it or not, Tiger has one of the worst power transfers on the PGA tour. His distance for his SS is terrible.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
In seriousness though, you really don't. Believe it or not, Tiger has one of the worst power transfers on the PGA tour. His distance for his SS is terrible.

I think it's his launch angle/spin, not his power transfer, that's robbing him of distance. Bubba swings just as fast and hits it 50 yards farther because he hits it high launch, low spin.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I think it's his launch angle/spin, not his power transfer, that's robbing him of distance. Bubba swings just as fast and hits it 50 yards farther because he hits it high launch, low spin.

True. I can't imagine it's him not hitting the center of the face. If you were to take distance/swingspeed it's poor but I'm sure his swingspeed/ballspeed is fine.

For me, the power transfer seems to be a major reason I hit the Superquad further. I hit both my Cobra and the Superquad pretty good on center. My smash factor with the Cobra was coming up as 1.4 but with the Superquad was 1.5. I had a guy who is a LD guy from UK tell me it's due to the shaft. He said the VS Proto actually has a quite poor power transfer. Has to be something, my ballmarks on the face of that thing are top dead center. I posted pics of it before, you'd be hard pressed to have better from a scratch player, nevermind a 10cap. I'm not really concerned with investigating it any further, I've seen which one goes further on the course and since I hit both about the same consistancy wise, it's a no brainer. I'll take my 6-12yds. and call it a day. I guess my favorite factor is the "par 5's I've reached in 2" factor, which the Superquad is crapping all over the Cobra with.

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Aye Dave but you need a decent swing to get that extra stuff! :D:D:D

Hah .. ya bastad !! .. I'll stick with what I have and search for that extra something ... I've tried yer limp wristed swing .. but it's not for me ..:D

🔥 Latest posts