• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm not sure I fully understand

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
which side of the tee box to tee up from. Is there a general rule, or is it different for every hole?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
It really depends on what type of shot you are going to play...or which side gives you a better angle to the dogleg...

Honestly, i doubt the 10 feet left or right makes much of a difference for me....i usually put more emphasis on getting a level area so the ball isn't above or below my feet on the tee box...

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
That's what I think too! I mean, it is only 15 yards. But then again, how many times would we have liked to be 15 more yards left or right of where we ended up. I'm trying to learn how to move my golf ball around the course more strategically, starting with the tee box. But I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It depends on your ballflight or for us, more like our "miss", lol. If you play a fade (slice it) go to the right side of the teebox and hit it down the left side. What looks like a few yards on the teebox can actually be 20-30yds. out where a driver is going to end up.

The opposite if you draw (hook) the ball. If that's the shot you know is pretty likely to happen, stay on the left side of the teebox. That gives you plenty of room to start it right and let the hook take it back.

I like to tee it up on the right side so close the right tee marker that it makes my playing partners nervous, lol. I'll sometimes be like 2-3 inches from it. It actually helps my tendency to get OTT somtimes as well.
icon10.gif

Yesterday I was playing with a new partner, guy from our club, against my boss and regular partner. It was funny as a few times my parnter thought I was going to be way left in the trees but my boss and his partner would say "nice shot" like as soon as they saw it come off. They know I hit a hard cut shot pretty much every time. So if I hit it left, it's almost always coming back right... if I hit it right... break out the search party cause I don't have a draw.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
It depends on your ballflight or for us, more like our "miss", lol. If you play a fade (slice it) go to the right side of the teebox and hit it down the left side. What looks like a few yards on the teebox can actually be 20-30yds. out where a driver is going to end up.

The opposite if you draw (hook) the ball. If that's the shot you know is pretty likely to happen, stay on the left side of the teebox. That gives you plenty of room to start it right and let the hook take it back.
By doing this in a general hole, it basically gives you twice as much fairway to work with, as long as you know which way the shot will spin. I fade my driver, and aim down the left side so that even the straight shot will be in the fairway. Also works well for taking hazards and OB out of play if they lie in the general direction of your shot shape. Although in the opposite, never aim where you do not want the ball to go.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
That's what I think too! I mean, it is only 15 yards. But then again, how many times would we have liked to be 15 more yards left or right of where we ended up. I'm trying to learn how to move my golf ball around the course more strategically, starting with the tee box. But I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea.

15 yd wide tee boxes? Holy crap are those huge. Most of the ones I play are maybe 3-4 club lengths wide.

🔥 Latest posts