• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm now "tied in"

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I have never belonged to a club. Where I live there aren't any good 18 hole courses close to where I live. We have to drive at least 40 minutes to play a nice course. Now that my son is so into golf, I'm thinking about joining a 9 hole course that's 15min from the house. It's super short and easy, with a course rating of 67...but the greens are immaculate. It's cheap to join, but you still have to pay for a cart. I did the math and I'll have to play around 40 rounds to break even. I'm not so sure I can handle playing this little track that much. Being married, I know what it feels like to be tied down...don't think I need that. I wanna play as many holes as possible. ;)

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Being married, I know what it feels like to be tied down...don't think I need that. I wanna play as many holes as possible.
LOL..............yeah, but when you get older, sometimes the old trusty ones that you know real well, look pretty good to you. Tied down??? I never got into that bondage stuff.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Payed Petrifying Springs golf course for a "gold" season pass today. Unlimited golf with cart for the year. So I won't be going all over the place, just there. Hope nututhugame and others don't mind playing with me there. All the time.

Kenosha County - Petrifying Springs

I did it to save money and hopefully it works. Now I can golf every day ... multiple times a day all year long and not pay a dime. And I get four complimentary passes with cart to Brightondale which has two 18's and a 9.

Life is good.

What's your take on playing one course most of the time?
I tried doing a membership one year at Spring Creek in Whitewater and found that playing the same course all the time got kind of boring after a while. It was nice to be able to play as much as I wanted and not have to pay anything though.
Id probably do a membership again if my budget had room for it. Right now $1,000+ a year is a bit out of my price range. Someday when my girlfriend and I are married and she has all her student loans paid off I will definetly do the country club thing though. If Im going to be a yuppie I can be seen playing golf with the unwashed masses who think that jeans and t-shirts are acceptable golf coure attire.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Right now $1,000+ a year is a bit out of my price range. Someday when my girlfriend and I are married and she has all her student loans paid off I will definetly do the country club thing though. If Im going to be a yuppie I can be seen playing golf with the unwashed masses who think that jeans and t-shirts are acceptable golf coure attire.

$1000 bucks a year doesn't even come close to getting you country club status in VT. 4k per year there, plus initiation.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
$1000 bucks a year doesn't even come close to getting you country club status in VT. 4k per year there, plus initiation.
It wont get you one here in Wisconsin either. The Madison Muni courses cost $1200 a year for a membership, I havent even looked into what a country club costs but honestly, by the time my girl pays off her loans it wont much matter.
$4K a year will be a drop in the bucket for us by then.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Played my first 18 of the year. It was around 60º F and windy! Probably steady 20 mph. The greens were really slow! I hit my share of dubs but hit some really nice shots also. Putted good but came up short over and over and I was rapping that ball. Still was very satisfying to get out and play all afternoon.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Played my first 18 of the year. It was around 60º F and windy! Probably steady 20 mph. The greens were really slow! I hit my share of dubs but hit some really nice shots also. Putted good but came up short over and over and I was rapping that ball. Still was very satisfying to get out and play all afternoon.

Putted "well". ;)

What happened to the Scotty? Propping a window open with it? LOL.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
It wont get you one here in Wisconsin either. The Madison Muni courses cost $1200 a year for a membership, I havent even looked into what a country club costs but honestly, by the time my girl pays off her loans it wont much matter.

Great - if you can play enough to justify it. With 2 kids and hockey/soccer/baseball all the freaking time it becomes more difficult. My club was about a grand if I remember correctly, and they'll let my 7 year old play. Most places I inquired about wouldn't allow that. This way, SWMBO won't mind me playing if I can get the boy out with me every other weekend or so.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country

Great - if you can play enough to justify it. With 2 kids and hockey/soccer/baseball all the freaking time it becomes more difficult. My club was about a grand if I remember correctly, and they'll let my 7 year old play. Most places I inquired about wouldn't allow that. This way, SWMBO won't mind me playing if I can get the boy out with me every other weekend or so.

That $1200 is for the public courses of which there are 4 but you don't get anything else. No preferential tee times, etc. They are still public courses which get jam packed almost every single day. You would be lucky to actually get your $$$ worth.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Putted "well".

What happened to the Scotty? Propping a window open with it? LOL.

R35

It's "waiting in the wings" for the chest putter to screw up!! :wink:

That $1200 is for the public courses of which there are 4 but you don't get anything else. No preferential tee times, etc. They are still public courses which get jam packed almost every single day. You would be lucky to actually get your $$$ worth.

Wi

Well this cost $1500, is unlimited golf with cart any day time or date I choose. I can golf from dawn to dusk. I've called up and they told me "just come out, we'll get you on". And they did. The "Gold" membership is pretty good here. Other county courses you had to pay a cart rental and it was only good for so many rounds. So their lower rates weren't so great when you figured a couple of the yearly cart rental fees in. I don't know how many "gold" season passes they sell but they are treating me like some kind of royalty. I like it.

Gold Golf Pass including Golf Car Pass $1,495 per person
This Pass is truly “unlimited” in that it includes unlimited golf with golf car, 2 week advance tee times and range balls for the Pass holder only.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008

I dont have any problems getting on the Madison city courses almost any time of day. Friday afternoons, Saturday afternoons, Sunday mornings are when I play and its not an issue.
I actually have a lot of more problems dealing with idiots on the other courses outside of Madison that have really cheap twillight rates.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Its great if it helps you save money and golf your heart out!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.