• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm so pissed off I could spit....

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
You may have answered your own question....

It's ruining my time out there....

As a result of this situation, I haven't played golf in three weeks which is very very rare for me....I'm still pondering what to do...

Bravo I can see that you take this situation very seriously.
As would any one else, I'm sure.

Here's my read on it.
If you have a friend that disrespects you, he/she isn't much of a friend to begin with.
Now the question is, is he trying to cheat you specifically, or the whole group.
Cheating is blantant disrespect-period!
I wouldn't play with that person(s) whatsoever.

You've got a hard decision to make, no doubt.
If it were me, I'd continue to play with your group until someone breaks the rules and then call him on it, right then and there.
Wether the guy's 70 or 20, what's right is right.
Perhaps some others in your group have had enough too.

Either way it's not worth you not playing the game you obviously love!!!

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
They cheat the whole group, not just me. I am in a quandry about this...I'm going to give it some more time....I may wait another week or two before playing again. My game stinks anyway....:(

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Bravo, this is easy to say when you're not involved, but to me you have 2 choices:

1. Leave the group so you can enjoy your golf more. This runs the risk of alienating your friends.

2. Call them on the cheating in an upfront, polite, but firm manner. Make them aware of the inner struggles you've had with this and that you're at the point of either them playing right or you leaving the group. If they're truly good friends, it will get resolved in some fashion without the friendships being lost.

And, not meant rudely to you, but after 3 weeks of struggling with it, you need to pick a direction and move on.

I will tell you that I had some problems (non golf related) with a dear friend of mine. I waited over a year to address them. During that year we didn't speak much and spent little time togther. One night at a local bar I took him out into the parking lot and said "Look, somethings wrong between us and I'm fed up with it. We need to resolve it here and now so we can go back to being the friends we really are." About 15 minutes later it was resolved, and we're back to being great friends and golf partners. It was a hard thing for me to start, but it was the best thing.

Now go play some damn golf!!

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
TSV: I'm just a regular member...and frankly its one of our 'leaders' who is causing me so much grief.

MCD: You are giving me good advice. I need to get over this one way or the other. Tight golf groups have such great relationships. I think I may take a couple of the other guys out to lunch to talk with them about it first, then approach the others.

When I meet with the offenders, they are not going to act positively about this. I'm going to get a negative reaction so its gonna be tough.

You're right though...I gotta move on one way or the other....

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I think I may take a couple of the other guys out to lunch to talk with them about it first, then approach the others.

You may be surprised that they've noticed the same thing, and are having an equally difficult time coming to grips with the issue and what to do about it. One thing's for sure, it's not worth letting something like this affect your own love of the game, and the longer it goes on the more this annoyance and golf will become entwined, making it harder to separate your feelings for the two.

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
TSV: I'm just a regular member...and frankly its one of our 'leaders' who is causing me so much grief.

MCD: You are giving me good advice. I need to get over this one way or the other. Tight golf groups have such great relationships. I think I may take a couple of the other guys out to lunch to talk with them about it first, then approach the others.

When I meet with the offenders, they are not going to act positively about this. I'm going to get a negative reaction so its gonna be tough.

You're right though...I gotta move on one way or the other....

I was hoping you were the man in charge. I have ran our group in the past, got pissed about a few things, let the disorganized guy take over and it has worked itself out as it got their attention.

I think you are on the right path. Go to lunch with some allies, and then address the problems. We had to straighten a guy out a few years ago about fluffing lies. It was really awkward, he went cuckoo, accused everyone else of cheating and then straightened up. We don't see him as much and he still has some bitterness, but at least he respects the game when he comes out.

You are right, you have got to do something. Golf is supposed to be fun.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I played on Sunday morning for the first time in a month...had a nice hangover from the night before (celebrating a little too hard the Alabama victory over Arkansas in the final 8 seconds!).

It was a beautiful morning and there were eight of us. I played with one of the cheaters and he moved his ball in the rough again....

I've decided that since the amount of the wager is so small (our team won $2 a piece), that I am simply going to ignore it. I love playing with the other guys...they are a blast to play with and I am close friends with several. They let it bounce of their back and I have come to grips with doing the same.

Life's too short to lose several friends because of a couple of scoundrels....

I shot an 89 - highest score in quite awhile....but we've had a good bit of rain finally and the course looks really good....unlike East Lake....

bassman1308

old guy
Jan 24, 2007
Life's too short to lose several friends because of a couple of scoundrels....

Bravo:
You made a wise decision.

🔥 Latest posts