• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm so pissed off I could spit....

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I wrote a post a couple of months ago about guys in my group who cheat....I then brought up a set of simple (albeit not strict ROG) rules and asked the group if they would all abide by them.

1) Can roll the ball in the fairway - cannot touch it elsewhere.
2) Putts in leather are considered good.

All other ROG apply.

Well we were out playing yesterday and two guys hit errant shots near each other. My playing partner was in foot-high grass and one of our opponents ball was obstructed by a tree.

As I am helping my partner look for his ball in the high grass, I look over and sure enough this guy has picked up his ball and is hand placing where he can hit his shot freely out of the rough.

So we keep playing.....grrrrrr. We get to the 15th and a storm comes in....lightning...raining sideways for about 15 minutes. Lots of standing water on the course.

After talking with the shop, we decide to pack it in. The threat of more weather is about 30 minutes away and the clouds are still low and black. So we are driving from the 15th tee to get our balls where they lay and then back to the pro shop.

The other guy drives his cart around the backside of the green (within 10 feet) and then over the 16th championship tee and between the other tees and the shoulder of the cart path....leaving tire tracks the whole way through.

From this point, the way back to the pro shop while staying on the cart paths is very clear. Drive down the 16th fairway until you reach the 16th green....at that point there is an 'escape' cart path which winds around the cart barn leading you to the 10th cart path. This keeps you from having to drive over the 17th and 18th fairways....

So of course, we drive down the cart path and he drives all over the damn course (spraying up water behind the wheels) leaving tire tracks everywhere.

After years of playing with a group of about 8-9 guys, I am considering 'switching groups'. This is not easy as the groups form up on their own.

It's ruining my time out there....

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Only you know whether a private talk over a drink or two, in which you clearly state your unhappiness with certain behaviors, will be accepted in your particular group.

I've had discussions with the guys I regularly play with regarding their anger and negative talk on the course. I simply told them that I play golf to have fun, and that, while I understand occasional anger, their non-stop negative attitudes were ruining the days for me, and that if it continued, that I would have to consider not playing with them anymore.

They understood, and have become much better.

Fortunatly, I don't have a problem with them cheating or being inconsiderate. The guys I play with try to play by the rules, and they are pretty conscientious about taking care of the course (I still find myself filling their divots from time to time, but that's another story...)

In short - have another chat with them and make it clear that you enjoy their company, but are having a hard time with their behavior. See what happens. If they tell you to f*ck off, then they made your decision easy.

DVS

Aug 15, 2007
I know what you mean. My regular group isn't too bad. Most of them abid by the rules and if they do break it, its usually because they were unaware.

How from time to time, when paired up with random people, the lack of golf and course etiquette is very frustrating, especially when I have already corrected them a couple of times over the course of a round.

why is it so hard to avoid stepping over my putting line! why is it so hard keep quiet and still when I am getting ready to tee off?!? grrr.....

But in your case, since its your regular group....I agree with the other post and I'd also advise you to have a talk at the "19th hole" (the watering hole!). I'd recommend that you talk to these individuals one at a time, or at most 2 at a time. Because many times, if you try to have a conversation with a whole group over a drink, things turn to mockery and very rarely will anyone take it seriously.

And if that doesn't work, I'll join ya! Just don't step on my putting line! lol

Good luck.

-DVS

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Bravo, I understand completely. Which I why I have no regular playing partners and why I rarely play "social" rounds of golf. :D

I like to hit golf balls, so I go to the range a lot.

I like to play golf by the rules, so I play in tourneys a lot.

Other golf just isn't real golf to me.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You guys play ticks, correct? See that's crap. Just say "if you want to cheat, then it's gonna cost you ticks". He should see that right off the bat.

If you're playing for fun, then just let it go. They're only hurting themselves.

R35

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
well ez and i play all the time and when ever we play match play, he won't let me put my ball on the nicest place on the fairway instead of in the bunker or behind a big tree. can you believe this guy? what gives? he was yelling something like "legit" or "honesty." what do they mean?

haha..

joking aside, when me and my friends (in NC) are out on a course, we're there to have fun. sure we do keep scores, but we know that we're not in PGA and not playing against anyone. However, when there's something on the line, i say we're pretty stricted about the rules. needless to say, we don't put anything on the line. ;)

besides, lil smokes and beers will prohibit me from playing 100% by the rules.

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006

All other ROG apply.

After years of playing with a group of about 8-9 guys, I am considering 'switching groups'. This is not easy as the groups form up on their own.

I feel your pain, man. I cut back from my regular group this year. They are great guys, but their version of golf was starting to grate on me. I still go out once a month with them and have two or three other occasions when I show up. Otherwise, I play with my neighbour or the 80 year old gentlemen a few streets over, or my buddy the cop, ... .

I cut bait and have enjoyed golf a lot more this year. The times with the regulars are better and the times without are better too. It had gotten stale.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I hear a lot of people comment about how they get hooked up playing with strangers and have terrible times with poor etiquette, etc.

I must be really lucky, because nearly all the folks I've ever been joined with have been great examples of how the game should be played. I can maybe think of two people in the last 15 years that I had a problem with. Other than them, it's been great, and one of the things I love best about golf. It tends to attract good people.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Bravo, you have my sympathy. I am blessed to have a great group of guys to play with. It sure makes the weekend rounds more enjoyable.

In many, many years of playing this great game, I have had the opportunity to meet some very nice folks. Of the dozens of folks I've been paired with, only a couple come to mind as being really jerks. The good times with the good people easily cancel out the bad.

You simply may need to find a new group. That's difficult when you are not the one violating the ROG. Yet, if there is no reinforcement from others within the group it may leave you no choice.

You are welcome in our group any time!!! Hop in your private jet and I'll pick you up at our local airport. We have the first tee time on both Saturday and Sundays. You can fly in on Friday evenings and leave after our round on Sundays. Woops!!! A young flat-belly like you would kick us ol' foggy's behinds and we'd pout. Maybe I'll win Powerball this weekend and I can come south to join you instead.

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
I wrote a post a couple of months ago about guys in my group who cheat....I then brought up a set of simple (albeit not strict ROG) rules and asked the group if they would all abide by them.

All other ROG apply.

Well we were out playing yesterday and two guys hit errant shots near each other. My playing partner was in foot-high grass and one of our opponents ball was obstructed by a tree.

As I am helping my partner look for his ball in the high grass, I look over and sure enough this guy has picked up his ball and is hand placing where he can hit his shot freely out of the rough.

So we keep playing.....grrrrrr. We get to the 15th and a storm comes in....lightning...raining sideways for about 15 minutes. Lots of standing water on the course.

After talking with the shop, we decide to pack it in. The threat of more weather is about 30 minutes away and the clouds are still low and black. So we are driving from the 15th tee to get our balls where they lay and then back to the pro shop.

The other guy drives his cart around the backside of the green (within 10 feet) and then over the 16th championship tee and between the other tees and the shoulder of the cart path....leaving tire tracks the whole way through.

From this point, the way back to the pro shop while staying on the cart paths is very clear. Drive down the 16th fairway until you reach the 16th green....at that point there is an 'escape' cart path which winds around the cart barn leading you to the 10th cart path. This keeps you from having to drive over the 17th and 18th fairways....

So of course, we drive down the cart path and he drives all over the damn course (spraying up water behind the wheels) leaving tire tracks everywhere.

I read this post and couldn't help but get a little angry. It is not so much the rules deal, although we should all abide by them, it is the total and utter disregard for the golf course. This also shows a lack of respect for the future enjoyment of other players who would like to enjoy the golf course in the best condition possible. These clowns need to realize their rude behavior is not acceptable. Do they think, "Hey, I paid my greens fee, I own this course today." NOT!

Follow the rules, respect the course you play on (don't forget to fix extra ball marks on greens, use divot mix for yours and others not repaired, rake the bunkers, pick up that empty snack wrapper blowing around in the fairway and place it in the trash, etc...). Most of all, think not off yourself but of others who will come after you.

Bravo, you gotta ditch these jerks and play with some golfers.

Do I sound like a tree-hugger? Because I am not.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I read this post and couldn't help but get a little angry. It is not so much the rules deal, although we should all abide by them, it is the total and utter disregard for the golf course. This also shows a lack of respect for the future enjoyment of other players who would like to enjoy the golf course in the best condition possible. These clowns need to realize their rude behavior is not acceptable. Do they think, "Hey, I paid my greens fee, I own this course today." NOT!

Follow the rules, respect the course you play on (don't forget to fix extra ball marks on greens, use divot mix for yours and others not repaired, rake the bunkers, pick up that empty snack wrapper blowing around in the fairway and place it in the trash, etc...). Most of all, think not off yourself but of others who will come after you.

Bravo, you gotta ditch these jerks and play with some golfers.

Do I sound like a tree-hugger? Because I am not.

Thanks for your note. It is this that bothers me as much as the cheating. While we ALWAYS have a wager going on, it's not much so there is not a monetary motive here for me.

Beyond what the superintendent and his staff do - the remainder of the responsibility for keeping the course in good shape is up to the players. And the vast vast majority of members do a great job. We have sand bottles in each golf cart....and although we have a lot of walking members, those of us who take carts pride ourselves in filling not only our own divot, but several as we wait to hit. (We're filling the divots of the walkers) And when it rains hard, people with mature judgment don't need to be told to 'keep it on the cart path'.

The guy who drove all over the drenched golf course is 70 years old. A prime example of 'people who never grow up'..

Switching groups is going to be a difficult decision. The rest of the guys are GREAT people who I have close relationships with. One of them is a lawyer who helped me (pro bono) through a very difficult time two years ago with top notch legal services as well as emotional support...he wouldn't take a dime and told me if I sent him a check he'd shred it. People like this and my playing partner on the day described are dear to me....he and I played in the Member-Member together (like crap!) but had a fantastic time. He's like a brother.

I guess I am going to have to suck it up or join another group. Black or white.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Sorry Bravo, I guess I don't understand. Unless I have something on the game with the guys I'm playing with, I don't give a rat's azz how they play the game. If playing with guys that cheat bothers you so much then don't play with them. That seems pretty simple to me.

BTW - Rolling the ball in the fairway is cheating - not trying to be a jerk, but you can't have it both ways. There are two games (G)olf where you play by all the rules and (g)olf where you play by some of the rules. It sounds like you play golf and you want to be the one that decides which rules will be ignored.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I am lucky after reading that.We play for a nominal amount,£1 front and back nines and £1 ont he match,plus birdies and bits.No money at all but its just fun,the guy who wins always buys the beers anyways

But its all with the full rules of golf,no one I play with would ever consider anything else.In fact in 25 years I have never played any other way or played with anyone that plays this way.

Leave the group,golf is supposed to be fun.Or maybe preferred lies can be agreed at the start,I have no idea what ball rolling is,this must be a US definition of preferred lies.

🔥 Latest posts