• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm stuck on wedges...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm wanting to experiment and try some different wedge set ups.. What do you all use?

I know guys who play with 3 wedges and a PW.. Some that use just a PW.. Some that get a 56 and their PW..

Others who mix it up based on course, and the way they play.

I'm using a 52* and a 58* right now.

My 52 is my go to club and my 58 I use in the sand mostly or from deep greenside trouble.

However, I'm wanting to try 3 and see what I can do, and what works.

Is it better to go for the 50-54-58 or 52-56-60?

I've got all the clubs, but a 50 and a 56...

Or am I being retarded in the fact that I'm only between 4* of loft in each and there isn't a reason for them all?

I love my 52, but part of me thinks a 50* would better suit me.. The 58 and the 60 start getting iffy with me "scooping them.

Any help, info, tips, info?

My wedge play is horrid from top to bottom.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I carry three wedges as seen in my signature. I recommend that you look at what your needs are. For me I hit my pw 145yds which means that I have a lot of distance to account for when I am out on the course. That is why I carry three wedges. If you don't hit your pw that far you may only need two wedges. I would never go below two wedges.

As for adding some consistency to your wedge play. The key to hitting wedges that carry consistent distances and have the spin to stop and/or back up when they hit the green is hitting down into the ball. The way I found that works best for me with this is to focus on a blade of grass in front and slightly off center of the golf ball. This will promote a steep angle of attack, ball first contact, while maintaining a slight in to out golf swing. This works really well with a skip and stop type shot, and if you practice it you will be surprised just how easy it is to pull this shot off even under pressure. Hope this helps.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm not very far with my PW.. I'm struggling lately with it and getting consistent shots.. Dont ask me how, but my irons are fine, it's my wedges.. Maybe my mind games.

I'm closer to 120 ish with my PW..100-120 is a good range..

From 150-160 I grab my 7i or 6i and it gets me on the green usually and drops and stops.

What I've been trying to do is use my 54 and 58.. 58 being my sand and shoter shots, and my 54 for chipping and shots that I'm under 100.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
what wedges you go with will greatly depend on the loft of you PW. You want to try to keep it a consistant spacing, so you don't have 2 clubs that both go 95 yards.

raven34

Jul 14, 2008
Go take your 3 sets of wedges as you've described and hit them in groups to determine how far you hit them and which group suits your game.
You should be able to borrow the 2 you don't have from the pro or shop if you are serious about buying.
By the way 3 wedges is the way to go.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I carry a PW, 50*, 54*, and a 58*.

I find that my scores improve when I can take a full cut at the ball from 125 and in.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
My PW is a Tm RAC TP CB, and according to TM, it's 48*.. I haven't checked to see what MY club is exactly, but going by them(which is good enough) it's 48*

I could only assume to stay in the 4* seperation. Which is why I figured the 52-56-60 combo is key.

However.. I hate my lob.. Hate hate hate. I'll 100 times over rather use my 58*... I also love the hell out of my 52* as it's my all around club for anything under 100, and up to mere feet.

Grr... I guess I'll just have to try them all out and see what leaves me with less of a gap.

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
If you hate your 60* lob wedge and love your 58* then i would say this is a easy choice to make, i personally cant hit a 60* and use a 58* and also a 52* to fill the gap and my pw is 47* and i dont carry it often but i also have a 64* that is sometimes use

pw- 115-120 yards
52- 100-105 yards
58- 85-90 yards
64- 60-65 yards

🔥 Latest posts