• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Impact tape

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Hello I was just wondering if anyone has used impact tape before on their irons or woods. I was also wondering if you could use masking tape? I'm thinking that the masking tape would probably work just as good and then I wouldn't have to go out and buy any. Maybe I could have someone test to see if it worked?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I go to a pretty low budget range, so you might not want to do this at a nicer one. I take a red sharpie with me and color in a little of the stripe on the range ball, this will leave the red on the clubface and it washes right off later on.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I also use a sharpie to color a spot on the ball when I hit balls into the net in my friend's garage.

par5in4

Dec 24, 2007
I've used some red duct tape. It worked great. I don't think it needs to be the red, but that's just what was available. Came off without a hitch also. I think I heard that baby powder works as well.....never tried though.

OP
Topflite_D2

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
I've tryed the baby powder and I didn't think it worked that well. And after extencive studies (3 hits) :laugh: I found that masking tape doesn't work. I'm going to try wax paper next. The Sharpie idea is a good one. I know I've drawn lines on my ball for putting and then I find the Sharpie on my club.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Masking tape didn't work for me, I like the sound of using a sharpie.

OP
Topflite_D2

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah short of buying the tape. Although I want to do this at Nevada Bob's and I don't think they want my doing that.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Buy the damn stuff. You get like 24 pieces for like 8 bucks, and can use one strip for an entire range session. 1 dollar per 3 range sessions...

Jun 24, 2006
You can use the masking tape for a driver and it will leave a mark were the ball hit but you will only be able to see it if you have half decent vision. You have to get the club head on the correct angle with the light to be able to clearly see it but it does work. You can also see it with irons but it's less noticeable.

I have also seen people spit on the driver head, spread it around and you can see a mark from that as well.

The Impact tape works much much better as it leaves a nice dark mark.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I've done the masking tape and sharpie trick. I also like using packaging tape and a sharpie on the net in my shop. I mark a ball and can hit it about 15 times until it needs more "paint".

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Baby powder, masking tape, a spray bottle full of water will all work. Masking tape probably the least IMO. For the last couple of years I have been using Black electrical tape, because I found a few extra rolls in my basement. It actually is probably my new preferred method over the others. Peels off real easy and give a pretty good image. Probably will be my only method from here on out. Although they had some pretty cool wipe off Impact tape on the show "Fore inventors only" on the golf channel. If I ever find that for cheap in a store I will probably get some. It was like a double layer impact tape that you wipe off with your thumb and reuse. Pretty ingenious. Worked on a putter as well
Shows - Fore Inventors Only - Golf Channel
Strike N Swipe Reusable Impact Tape > Strike and Swipe Golf Ball Impact Recorder

edit 1 - ... actually it looks like even though he did not win the show, Golfsmith is selling his product anyways, to mixed reviews
Golfsmith.com: Golfsmith Strike nSwipe Impact Tape - Golfsmith

... even more interesting is that I do not see the Club Caddy (winner) on the Golfsmith site.

OP
Topflite_D2

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
I was wondering about electrical tape. My dad bought 10 rolls for 5 bucks or something so I will take some w/ me when I go to the launch monitor.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
A reusable impact locater:

Caddy Patch Scored a free one at the PGA show, works really well.

Most of the time, I use an old trick I learned when I started to fly. Back when I was learning to fly we used a slide ruler like device called an E6-B. On the back of the slide rule portion, there was a wind dial with a translucent face that you would use to mark the wind direction and speed and then rotate the dial to your course to get the desired headwind/tailwind/crosswind numbers. Well after you marked it once, you had to erase the pencil mark and using a pencil eraser left horrible steaks on the face. One of my flight instructers gave us the secret to erasing it without leaving streaks. Use your natural body oil. Rub your finger on the side of your nose (not in your nose, this is not a mining operation :laugh:) and then just rub out the pencil mark. Viola, it worked like a charm.

Well, the same trick works on driver faces. If you are using a clean driver face, you will be able to see the impact mark on the face of the club. After you check out the impact, rub the side of your nose with a finger and then erase the ball mark. You will be able to pick up each new impact mark as long as you continue to erase your previous one. So far, this trick only works on metal wood heads. The grooved section of irons do not show impacts as well as the smooth titanium and steel faces of most metal woods.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Plain old duct tape works like a charm. It's 3 bucks for 150 feet and doesn't leave residue. They use it at all the shops here and it's great for leaving a mark that is clear and distinct.

You can spend all the money you want on gimmicks, but sometimes the easiest stuff is just that - easy.

R35

🔥 Latest posts