• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Importance of looks & prestige -vs- functionality

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Also, I have now accepted that I will never be able to hit a 3 wood 250 yards off the deck in a high draw. Ben Hogan himself could spend a year teaching me, and it wouldn't happen.

So, just get a set of sticks that your eye likes, that's not too expensive, and swing in tempo with a good left wrist impact position, and then go practise your short game.

Bingo, I've got a set of Hogan Director blades, a set of TM RAC MB's, and my Srixon's. Hit them all about the same. A bad swing with the Hogans won't go as far, which can be good or bad. But as others have said, find something that you like the look and feel of.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Well, it's not a blade -vs- cavity back thing. I went to practice today and brought a couple of my 1950's burke blades from a garage sale. These things have no offset and are the defenition of mb's. The heads are slightly larger than the pings and heavier. Nutted these things all day. Not one shank. Hit my old wedges. Same deal. I'm really starting to think it's a weight thing. The s59's have lightweight shaft and the heads being pretty tiny make these clubs real light. The wedges seem light to me too (i've mentioned this before). I think that where I may have had just a wee bit of lag before has turned into some casting action hence all the mishitting. Either way... it's a fact that the Pings are going, it's just a matter of who and when. Another set is on the way.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Well, it's not a blade -vs- cavity back thing. I went to practice today and brought a couple of my 1950's burke blades from a garage sale. These things have no offset and are the defenition of mb's. The heads are slightly larger than the pings and heavier. Nutted these things all day. Not one shank. Hit my old wedges. Same deal. I'm really starting to think it's a weight thing. The s59's have lightweight shaft and the heads being pretty tiny make these clubs real light. The wedges seem light to me too (i've mentioned this before). I think that where I may have had just a wee bit of lag before has turned into some casting action hence all the mishitting. Either way... it's a fact that the Pings are going, it's just a matter of who and when. Another set is on the way.

Just for grins tape a quarter or two on the back of the head of one of the Pings and see if you can hit it worth a shit.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I"m with limp. It's mental. How hard is marketing in golf? It's easy...

When a player hates his clubs, he gets new ones. If he thinks he's going to shank it, he'll get new ones.

You shank, because your swing is screwed up. You'll get some shovels, have a good round, and go back to knockin' them off the hosels.. It aint the club.

Clubs will HELP you.. more so in the shaft area, and lengths and lie, but there is so much technology, even in todays blades... Would I be better using some SGI club, over my tiny little blades? Yeah, I might save 2-3 shots.. I'm sure I'd be in more bunkers, over the greens, etc. When I miss hit, I know it. It goes no-where, or it's short as hell. When I hit it off the toe, it's off to the right and low. When I shank it, guess what, same shank.

When I catch it right, it's awesome. Best feel, ever! But the clubs makes me want to get better. They fit me better, and while I'm only hitting a 175 yard 5 iron with my traditional lofts, it's a distance I know, and works for my game. I practice more, and I take lessons, and it makes me better. The clubs only aid it making it slightly easier.

Keep your clubs, and buy a lesson. I bet your shanks go away, and you go back into hitting whatever club you have in your hands.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Just for grins tape a quarter or two on the back of the head of one of the Pings and see if you can hit it worth a shit.

Just grab some lead tape if you can.. It makes a HUGE difference. Brandon is right. Make them heavier, and see if it helps. I have 120g shafts in my irons, and I use 70+g shafts in my woods, and 115g in my hybrid. I like a heavy shaft for my swing.

No idea what SW my clubs are, but they feel good, and make a difference in my swing. I have some MB's that are heavier headed, and I can't hit them worth a damn these days.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Done deal dude. I got new ones on the way and the Pings ARE going. It probably is mental, but in my head it's beyond fixing. It's like a marraige after cheating with a best friend. I've never struck any club so bad for so long. It's not like I hit just a couple shanks either. It's more than that. I've taken enough swings with these now to know they aint for me.

Don't act like you guys have never done this. Whether it be just a driver, putter, or whatever... Ya thought in the store that they were nice for whatever reason. After a couple of rounds knowing in your heart you hate the thing, but you try to like it. Then it becomes painfully obvious that you just bought the wrong thing. C'mon guys.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I had those Callaway X-18's & really wanted to like them, but they were the wrong clubs for me. Best thing I did was ebay those suckers.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm gonna sell my Smoke MB's I think.. Get me some GI clubs... haha.. Some Adams CB1's.. Not really GI, but more GI than anything I have around here. I can't hit something with offset, I feel like I'm going to chunk it for some reason.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Done deal dude. I got new ones on the way and the Pings ARE going. It probably is mental, but in my head it's beyond fixing. It's like a marraige after cheating with a best friend. I've never struck any club so bad for so long. It's not like I hit just a couple shanks either. It's more than that. I've taken enough swings with these now to know they aint for me.

Don't act like you guys have never done this. Whether it be just a driver, putter, or whatever... Ya thought in the store that they were nice for whatever reason. After a couple of rounds knowing in your heart you hate the thing, but you try to like it. Then it becomes painfully obvious that you just bought the wrong thing. C'mon guys.

Every hybrid I've ever owned before these 4DXs. And that's a lot. And I'm still on the fence with these, honestly.

I just wanted you to try the quarter thing to help you in the future - kind of get an idea of why you hate the things so you don't make another expensive screw up for the exact same reason. I think a decent fitter could make you like those clubs if you didn't already hate them, but like you said once it's gone it's gone. I totally understand that. So I just wanted you to do a half-assed swingweight adjustment to see what kind of difference it may make since you kept saying the heads on those Pings are too light. They aren't. They just feel light because of the balance. If it's not worth the time or the quarter, no biggie.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
IIRC, Karsten Solheim was a believer in lower swingweight and lighter, stiffer shafts for the average hacker. This is probably the reason the set of i10s I bought just didn't do anything for me: they had ZZ-65 (stiff but light steel) shafts and swingweighted at D0. I prefer the feel of something like my Mizuno MX-11s that came with Dynalite Gold R300 shafts and were swingweighted anywhere from D0 to D4 (Mizuno quality control can be a bit iffy) when I got them. I pulled the shafts, spined and reswingweighted them all to D2, and they area about as easy to hit as any set of GI clubs I have ever used.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
IIRC, Karsten Solheim was a believer in lower swingweight and lighter, stiffer shafts for the average hacker. This is probably the reason the set of i10s I bought just didn't do anything for me: they had ZZ-65 (stiff but light steel) shafts and swingweighted at D0. I prefer the feel of something like my Mizuno MX-11s that came with Dynalite Gold R300 shafts and were swingweighted anywhere from D0 to D4 (Mizuno quality control can be a bit iffy) when I got them. I pulled the shafts, spined and reswingweighted them all to D2, and they area about as easy to hit as any set of GI clubs I have ever used.

That's exactly what I was getting at - a quarter weighs 5-6gms, so taping one on the head of a D0ish club would get you in the D2-D3 range like most every other iron...it would also soften the shaft up about a step, which could add a little more feel to it at impact. Easy experiment just for kicks.

🔥 Latest posts