• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Improved my ball striking a ton!

jchase

Sep 23, 2008
So i usually a sweeper of the ball no matter where i am or how far out i am from the green. Or if i put an effort into hitting down on the ball i usually hit it fat. Well i just happened to see online or see on here where someone said to look at the front of the ball well that just didn't work for me. I would usually hit it fat!!!! Well i thought if i am hitting it fat why not aim a little bit further forward of the ball.

So i was just playing around at the muni across the street and started aiming about an inch in front the ball. And VOILA!!! Taking nice divots that started in front of the ball. Great ball flight but small pushes which just need to aim a bit left. But if anyone is struggling with this part of your game try aiming a bit farther forward than just the front of the ball. Stuffed a couple of shots to inside 10 feet from 125, 150, and 175. Shots were actually holding the greens also which has been a problem of mine! Just thought i would share this to anyone that might need a bit of help with this part of their game!

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Looking about a half inch infront of the ball has improved my iron striking as well. I'm a picker generally, and have been compressing the ball so well, I even spun back a 8i the other day, off the green!

Hope it continues to work out for you.. Can't help you with the pushes, as I'm in the midst of getting over them myself!

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
My ball striking made an improvement when I put the ball back further in my stance. Some of the WI guys can tell you that I play almost every iron off my back foot. I have become a more consistent ball striker by doing so. I am a ditch digger though. I take beaver pelts the size of Florida on a regular basis. You really know when you hit down on a ball when a 5 iron spins back about 3 feet.

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
I also increased performance and mainly confidence in my iron play by moving the ball slightly back in my stance. Now the majority of my irons/wedges I hit clean and crisp and take a nice divot. In the shot time I have been playing I have found many things that work for me in many different sources. Still the best advice I ever heard was naturally from Tiger, noone plays the game the same way, so whatever makes you hit the ball better consistantly, do it. I have taken some tips from tiger, some from random other sources... not really my iron play as much from tiger, he plays his mid/short irons from the middle of his stance to produce optimal spin... dunno how he does it but clearly the man is a freak.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My ball striking made an improvement when I put the ball back further in my stance. Some of the WI guys can tell you that I play almost every iron off my back foot. I have become a more consistent ball striker by doing so. I am a ditch digger though. I take beaver pelts the size of Florida on a regular basis. You really know when you hit down on a ball when a 5 iron spins back about 3 feet.

spartyon8

I'll vouch for that! spartyon8 takes some huge Debbies! And he's dynamite with his irons.

Definition:

Debbie. A large divot resembling the pubic area of a local Waushara county Wisconsin girl who was very popular in the bars years ago.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Definition:

Debbie. A large divot resembling the pubic area of a local Waushara county Wisconsin girl who was very popular in the bars years ago.

I think I've met Debbie ... or maybe it was her twin sister. :laugh:

OP
J

jchase

Sep 23, 2008
Was hitting the irons wonderful again today!!!! Stuck a 115 yd approach to 3 feet!! Put a 160 yd 8 iron to about 5 ft! Man i love having this new weapon and aspect of my game somewhat figured out! Now to get the long stick to cooperate with me. Any tricks on improving striking with the driver?

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
I used to be a GIGANTIC slicer off the tee because I went after it with all I had in the tank. What I try to do, and it has worked wonders this year, was to "throw" the clubhead at the ball. I made sure that on my downswing I could feel the clubhead being pushed away from my body. This naturally got me to swing on the correct plane and produce soft draws. The only downside to this approach is that I get the occasional block like I did on the first hole of the Lawsonia WI golf outing. Ouch that was a rough first hole.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I focus on the front of the ball. Swing through it like its an hologram.

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
Something that i've been working on is lifting my head up a bit at address. When i am not taking a divot i know my head sinks down, and throws my whole swing off.

BigDaddy13440

Jul 24, 2009
Me, I'm just the opposite. Used to play the ball back in my stance, could bomb my irons (165 yd PW, 225 yd 5I), but had no consistency. Over the last few years, I've changed my swing to more of a "sweeper", play everything from 1" front of center (5i) to 1" back (SW). Have lost 45-50 yards on each iron, but my dispersion has dropped from 20 yards wide to 5-7 yards. My scores have plummeted, from averaging 43.5 for 9 holes (2 years ago) to consistently carding 38's and 39's this year.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.....

🔥 Latest posts