• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

In Honor of Ash Wednesday...

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Here's my favorite Lent joke. Well, okay, it's the only Lent joke I know:

A Catholic fellow and a Jewish fellow were discussing their religious traditions, specifically atonement and sacrifice, Yom Kippur versus Lent. The Jewish fellow asked the Catholic fellow what he’d given up for Lent that year.

The Catholic fellow said, “This year, my wife and I agreed to make the ultimate sacrifice—we gave up sex.”

“Wow!” said the Jewish fellow, “How did it go?”

“The first week, we felt pretty good and holy about it,” replied the Catholic fellow. “The second week was really hard, and by the third week—well, we didn’t make it. One morning, my wife bent over to pick up a grapefruit that had rolled onto the floor, and that was it. Right then and there.”

“Sounds serious,” said the Jewish fellow. “Can you go back to church after something like that?”

“Oh, there’s no problem going back to church,” answered the Catholic fellow. “But I don’t think we’ll be returning to that particular Safeway.”

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
:biglol:

Having been raised Catholic, Lent is one of those habits I still stick to. Did wonders for me with Mountain Dew, and other things. That little nudge to make better habits, with a little one on the way, I'm giving up cursing this year.

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Kids will do that for you, too!

Lent is how I gave up smoking. I knew I couldn't get my brain around quitting forever, but I could quit for seven weeks. When Lent was over, I never went back.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
:biglol:

Having been raised Catholic, Lent is one of those habits I still stick to. Did wonders for me with Mountain Dew, and other things. That little nudge to make better habits, with a little one on the way, I'm giving up cursing this year.
So, who's going to teach him when to use *!?$ instead of &#!? ? ;)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
So, who's going to teach him when to use *!?$ instead of &#!? ? ;)

When he's older. My pops was very very blunt with us boys when we got older, so that when we saw it in the real world, wasn't much of a suprise. Worked wonders, I've been chewed out, yelled at, all that stuff and doesn't really phase me.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
'Atta boy. It's confusing to me why people need a holiday to make a positive change in their lives...

Agree. Is it not better to make the change for yourself? And then most people continue their bad habits after "Lent" is over.

I'm far from Catholic anymore, but I still feel that it is good to have some structure and something to remember to better myself. Just like Valentine's Day is to have a structured day to be great to my wife, it is not that it shouldn't happen every day, it is just symbolic and I'm not taking her out to 100 dollar dinners every night. :p

Honestly guys, I know some of you on here have a crusade against religion, but good things do come of it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.