• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

In search of the perfect 4-Wood

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
wirehair said:
Ping G2 and Tisi-Tec 5 woods are 17 degree. G2 stock length is 43" & Tec is 42.5". The Tec is an awesome club. Hard to find but awesome.
Now that you mention it, my G2 5w would did play more like a 4 wood, and has the same loft. Although based on my personal experience, I found the G2 FW's difficult to hit consistently, and the main reason I went to hybrids. I am keeping them in case I should become a better ball striker.

I hit my old Adams FW's extremely well, I hit my new Halo's well so far, but in the 1 1/2 years I had the G2's I can't help but think I made a mistake.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I used to have a G2,it was ridiculously easy to hit,just a bit lifeless with a Graff Blue,but that might be be,played very hard,I prefer a softer 3 wood.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Gun,

I prefer the steel. The Ti is nice and high off the face (which is why they use Ti in the first place) and straighter, but the steel has the weight and the trajectory that I love.

I hit my 3 iron (which I don't play) about 225-230 on a good day. I use the 7 wood instead and can easily 3/4 it about 215. I'm good for 215 with my 4 iron on a good day too, so i don't have much of a gap.

R35

What are you, like at 10,000 feet? Related to Sasquatch? Phil Mickelson? Wait - same thing...

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Well, I finally got my 4-wood the other week and had a chance to hit it last Wednesday. I went with the Sonartech SS 1.5 17* from 3-balls golf (cheaper if you go through their web site rather than through e-bay. Free shipping!) It has a Sonartech shaft built by Penly in it and a GP Tour Velvet with a Sonartech Logo grip. The club head was still wrapped in the original plastic and it came with a head cover.

First thoughts: This is one beautiful club. It is well constructed and I love the look of the all black club head. The "driving cavity" looks a bit weird, but you will never see it at address. The shaft is a through bore which is a first for me, it looks nice, but I am more interested on seeing how it feels.

Playing the club: I did not get a chance to hit the range prior to hitting the course, so I expected the worse. I only got to use it a few times during the 25 holes we played that day, but off the tee this club is fantastic. A good trajectory that is not too high, not as boring a trajectory as expected, but still decent. The club does not have that hot feel that my 3-wood has, but it did not appear to be lacking any distance. I do not recall hitting it off the turf, so that will have to wait until I get another opportunity to hit the range or course to test that out. I did use it once out of a fairway bunker and was pleased with its performance. I caught a little sand before I hit the ball so I didn't get quite the distance I was looking for, but I did get an awesome trajectory out of the sand and the ball flew straight and true. I can't help but think that the "driving cavity" helps stabalize the club head through the sand keeping the club head on line through its contact time.

Conlcusion: Still a bit early to draw any conlusions on the club as I only have a handful of swings on it, but it feels like its going to be a winner and find a place in my bag.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.