• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

In your humble opinion - Best gear?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Driver - I'm going to agree with Rock on the original Big Bertha - I could never hit one, but they were nice and changed the game

Irons - I think the King Cobra's are up there (distance wise they were great - but that's what happens when you stamp a "7" on a 6 iron)

wedges - I have to go with the classic -the Wilson sandwedge - I think everyone has one in the garage or basement. followed by any of the clevelands

putters - all time, I'd say the bullseye style first, followed by a tie between the Rossie and B-60

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
1. Taylor Made r7 Quad TP first to go mainstream with the interchangeable weights.
2. Callaway FT5 best sounding composite driver out there

Fairway:
1. Taylor Made Tour 200 Smoothie
2. TaylorMade V-Steel

Hybrid:
1. Adams Idea Pro
2. Callaway Heavenwood

Irons:
1. Miura the softest forgings anywhere
2. Mizuno solid feel

Wedges:

1. RAC TP
2. Adams Pugielli

Putters:

1. Rossa TP
2. Cameron

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
And me.

I never got this.

"The 580XD is the best bang for the buck. But I don't play one."

WTF is that?

R35

Never liked it all that much myself, went straight from the 510 TP to the r7 TP. Had a tour issued 580 XD for a while, but couldn't keep it in the bag for too long.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Drivers
1. Do I need the answer this? R series. From the 510TP all the way to the current line.
2. 9 series. If I wasn't playing a TM I'd go for one.

FW's
1. Taylormade... why? 200steel up the current R7TP's, longest and easiest to hit FW's for me. IMO thier FW's are even better than the driver line.
2. Tour Edge, made a name for themselves with the Exotics

Hybrids
1. Sonartec by a long shot. They still have one of the best in the MD and the thing is like 5 or 6 yrs. old.
2. Adams, again, like TEE have made a name with the hybrids

Irons
1. Mizuno, hit one... if you like a Ping or Callway X series better?? You'd prefer to drive a dump truck instead of a Corvette too.
2. Bridgestone, again, hit one.
(just to note... Miura buries the competition but I disclude them due to price and availability)

Wedges
1. Vokey
2. MP series
I could play either of these and be happy with them

Putters
No vote here. Whatever holes it. I don't care if it's a Circle T worth more than a used car or a 37yr. old Anser. There is no best putter... only the best puttee's.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
With only a few years into this game playing non-knock off clubs (I was cheap SOB, hmm, still am actually) I submit the following:

Driver:
Callaway - gave us the oversize driver
Nike - the only driver that I've been able to hit straight every time

FW:
TM - VSteel all the way
Adams - really did to FWs what Cally did to drivers, only in the other direction wrt size

Hybrids:
Sonartec - truly a more forgiving long iron replacement and not just a small FW
Adams - really pushed this category before other OEMs got on board

Irons:
Miura - man, I wish I wasn't so damn cheap...
Mizuno - solid forged irons for the playa AND the mid-capper

Wedges:
I'm not qualified to comment in this one - my first real wedge was a Vokey

Putter:
Odyssey 2Ball - revolutionary
Ping Anser - really, I mean, my Studio Style Newport 2 (like so many others) is simply someone elses twist on that simply classic design

Ball:
I'm listing Titleist here for obvious reasons but I don't know how long they will hold this position - Bridgestone, Srixon, and Callaway are coming on STRONG.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I don't know how to answer this. Best gear? That depends on who's swinging the clubs. If you're talking about most important gear, historically:

Driver - TaylorMade Metalwood. The first successful metal driver. Changed the game forever.

Fairway - Adams. The upside-down head was revolutionary. It worked, and people bought it by the millions.

Hybrid - Adams. The innovation that started the hybrid revolution.

Irons - Callaway Big Bertha. The first irons that delivered on the promise of maximum forgiveness.

Wedges - Cleveland. The company simply would not exist without them. #1 seller for a reason.

Putter - Ping Anser. Look how many heel-toe designs are still being sold.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Are the Adams wedges really that good? I've been tempted to try them for ages now.
The Pugielli wedges are, not the Watson series. Max Pugielli is one of the premier club designers in the world. They have a very classic look to them and the milling on the face is as crisp as any wedge out there, very deep marks and very solid feel.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Driver
1. Tour Edge Exotics
2. Snake Eyes Viper Ti-4

Fairway
1. Tour Edge Exoctics
2. Tour Edge Bazooka JMAX Carbon

Hybrid
1. Tour Edge Bazooka JMAX Tour
2. Cleveland Halo

Irons
1. Mizuno MP-60
2. Snake Eyes Viper Tour

Wedges
1. Srixon WG-504
2. Snake Eyes 653 Tour Milled

Putter
1. Heavy Putter A1M
2. Yes! Carolyne
3. Scotty Cameron Newport Series
4. Scotty Cameron Red X2
5. The rest of them....

Well, thats my list of what I could squeeze out of my brain. I have not explored all of the options avialable, so it is by no means a finshed list. On most of the items, they are the same ones that are in my bag. If I did not believe them to be the best for my game, why would I play them? In most instances where the #1 is not in my bag it purely comes down to acquisition cost/value at current prices.

Enjoy,
ualtim

🔥 Latest posts