• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

increasing swing weight?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
LOL, they call it high density, but really its just thicker.

Try golfsmith website they have it.

The reason MOI is better with a fixed ball position is because by making the irons prgressively feel heavier they will tend to bottom out at the same point of the swing arc. People who move the ball back as clubs gets shorter tend to have trouble with MOI matched sets for this reason.
The reason you hit the ball further if you play wedges further back is simply that you deloft the club at impact doing this.

That is a really interesting observation Lyle. I've never had my irons MOI tested, but they were advertised in 1999 as being specifically designed for just that. One of the swing changes in the the lessons I'm taking has me changing ball position in a more classic style (long irons off left heel, then progressivey further back as clubs get shorter). I've always placed the ball in the same spot for all my irons, and narrowed my stance as the clubs got shorter. There are a lot of changes happening right now, so I don't know how the ball-position thing is working relative to my "pseudo-MOI-matched" irons, i.e. whether what I'm being taught is causing problems. I will keep your ideas in mind.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Eraser,

Just keep trying till you find what works. Thats the beauty of this game and why guys like me are always tinkering. There are no hard and fast rules to anything.
Myself I play every club in my bag from the 12 'oclock position including my driver.

Whatever works, and I cant emphasize that enough.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Eraser,

Just keep trying till you find what works. Thats the beauty of this game and why guys like me are always tinkering. There are no hard and fast rules to anything.
Myself I play every club in my bag from the 12 'oclock position including my driver.

Whatever works, and I cant emphasize that enough.

I just wish I could play more, so that the week to week variability could be dampened a bit. Then my tweaking would have more significant measurability. As it is, I make a change that works great one week, then the next my swing goes to hell, then it comes back, etc. It's a problem we all face, but one that is lessened when we have the chance to play a lot. We (us?) weekenders never know what swing is going to show up, so we try different things and hope for the best.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
lyle, by having BG w/ decending weight shafts, do you think it's MOI matched?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Do do it with 100% accuracy you need an MOI machine. They are costly and not readily available (yet).
I use a system that was devised by a few people on Tom Wishon's forums.
Basically you use swing weight as your giude. Find an iron you like the best in your set and check its swingweight. Say its D2 and a 6 iron. Your MOI set would look like this:

3 - D0.2
4 - D0.8
5 - D1.4
6 - D2
7 - D2.6
8 - D3.2
9 - D3.8
PW - D4.4
GW - D5
SW - D5.6
LW - D6.2

You can achieve this by adding weight to a current set or by using .4 increments between clubs instead of the standard 1/2 inch.

🔥 Latest posts