• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Increasing the swing weight in irons

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Been thinking about increasing the swing weight in my irons. The swing weight in my irons is D2 threw the whole set except the stock taylormade PW I have in the bag. Is there anyone out there (Tmag and Lyle) who likes a heaver swing weight in there irons and how did you increase the SW, by adding lead tape or shaft plug. Also the only other thing I’ve been thinking about buying is maybe new shafts for my irons, I’m playing the taylormade T-Steps and I hit them real high and was thinking about Dynamic Gold’s or some thing else. I don’t know a lot about irons shafts and does anyone have a suggestion about some shafts I could throw in there that are a little heavier and better than the T-Steps.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
The easiest way to add weight after a club has been assembled would be to add lead tape to the head. If you just pull the grip and have steel shafts, you can put tungsten poweder down the shaft to increase the weight. If your going to go all the way and pull the heads, you can add plug weights or hosel weights (GS and Wishon clubheads are the only two I am aware of with the hosel weight option).

It all depends how far your willing to go and/or if you can live with having the tape on the head.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
I prefer a heavier swing weight in all of my clubs, they all play at a D5, with the wedges at a D6, I installed a lead tip weight in the shafts of my clubs to get to the desired weight. A heavier shaft will also increase the swing weight, so my Tour Concept shafts helped boost the swing weight as well.

I didn't have to decrease the SW, since I put the grind on them, it took some of the weight off by simply doing that.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Does the tip weight go on the end of the shaft or inside? I could throw in some tungsten powder in the shaft that sounds easy enough, the only concern is if the plug comes loose and the powder starts shaking in the shaft. Also Tmag do you know any info about the T-step shaft I tried looking on the TM site and couldn’t find any info about the specs of that shaft and how it would compare to DG’s.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
They go inside the shaft, the tungsten powder would also work, you just want to make sure that you cork the shaft so that the powder does not move during your swing.

The T Step is a lighter weight shaft, it weighs 90 grams, which is extremely lightweight, the Dynalite Gold SL will be 103 grams in S Flex, which is the closest True Temper shaft in weight. It has a lower bend point, which helps to promote a higher launch. If you were to go to a Dynamic Gold, the swing weight would go up by between 2 and 3 points per club, this would put them into the D4-D5 range. It would also lower the launch while flattening out the overall ball flight.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Thanks, I’m only looking to go up to a D4 I don’t want to get to crazy. It might come down to what ever is cheaper but it would be nice to go with a higher kick point I’m hitting my irons pretty high even when I try to hit a knock down. My ball flight is the same height as my old Cleveland TA7 game improvement irons with the DG’s I had in them. Its funny that the LT stands for low trajectory.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
It is a lower trajectory head, but the shafts are not suited to these heads, I was kind of surprised that they put the T Steps into the LT2 irons, just seemed like a square peg in a round hole in my eyes. You have a club designed to flatten trajectory and put a high launch shaft in them.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
If you were to go to a Dynamic Gold, the swing weight would go up by between 2 and 3 points per club,

tmag, this is probably a stupid question - but I was hoping you could explain why the swing weight would go up a couple points by going to the DG shaft?

I can understand an increase in total weight - going from a 90gm shaft to a 120 gram shaft, but I thought swingweight was really just a ratio - how much weight is in the head vs the rest of the club (and I know there's something about 14" in there....)

I would think, if the shaft is heavier, it could have the opposite effect on swingweight - as more mass would be away from the head in the heavier shaft?

then again, I've heard DG SL's swingweight like DG shafts - which leaves me even more confused....

anything clarification would be much appreciated....

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
tmag, this is probably a stupid question - but I was hoping you could explain why the swing weight would go up a couple points by going to the DG shaft?

I can understand an increase in total weight - going from a 90gm shaft to a 120 gram shaft, but I thought swingweight was really just a ratio - how much weight is in the head vs the rest of the club (and I know there's something about 14" in there....)

I would think, if the shaft is heavier, it could have the opposite effect on swingweight - as more mass would be away from the head in the heavier shaft?

then again, I've heard DG SL's swingweight like DG shafts - which leaves me even more confused....

anything clarification would be much appreciated....

Shafts are thicker in the tip section, so a heavier shaft would increase swing weight since more of the weight is in the lower portion of the club head. Swing weight is the club's overall weight from a fulcrum 14 inches from the end of the grip. Therefore, with more weight added in the lower portion of the shaft, there is more weight on the head side of the balance point, increasing the swing weight. SL's will swing weight a bit lighter than Dynamic Golds, due to the lighter overall weight.

🔥 Latest posts