• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Indoor putting surface for home?

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
My daughter and I have decided we need to do a little indoor putting over the winter. Those stupid 3' x 6' mats at Golf Galaxy are not what we have in mind. Our carpeting does not roll smoothly due to the texture (bad planning three years ago when we remodeled). We went to Home Today and looked at some indoor/outdoor turf type carpeting that might be okay.

I saw this Turf Tiles product online and was wondering if anybody has seen it in action? It's five times as expensive as the Home Depot turf/carpet. If I knew it was really nice and would last a long time, I might pull the trigger, but $350.00 for the twelve tile package is a lot if the things are crap or don't snap together after the fourth time.

I'm open to any other suggestions for a material I could use for a 10' x 10' or 12' x 12' indoor putting surface.

Turf Tiles

Kevin

Must putt better next year.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
For what its worth, I think turf tiles is what most golf shops have in their putting area.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Turf Tiles are the way to go. I spent a lot of time rolling putts on them at the last two shows trying to get the seam to change direction of roll and could not do it. Their construction is solid, I would not worry about breaking them for a long time. Putting them together is fairly easy and they are indoor/outdoor so if you keep them inside they should last for a real long time.

Compared to the other options available, I believe that the Turf Tiles have the truest roll. The sand filled greens and the higher dollar greens with the large black plastic border do not roll as well as the Turf Tiles. I also like the fringe tiles to practice chipping which most of the other options do not provide or come at greater expense.

Turf Tiles hole tiles do not have a deep hole so you have to be relatively precise with your speed or it will pop out of the hole. This may be a downside to some, but I found the challenge to be a plus as it really makes you work on your speed.

If I had a basement or spare room, I would have had a set of these two years ago. As it is, I am constantly trying to find a way to work them into the house or yard in a semi permanent setup as I know I am too lazy to dismantle them after a putting session.

Jun 24, 2006
Turf Tiles are the way to go. I spent a lot of time rolling putts on them at the last two shows trying to get the seam to change direction of roll and could not do it. Their construction is solid, I would not worry about breaking them for a long time. Putting them together is fairly easy and they are indoor/outdoor so if you keep them inside they should last for a real long time.

Compared to the other options available, I believe that the Turf Tiles have the truest roll. The sand filled greens and the higher dollar greens with the large black plastic border do not roll as well as the Turf Tiles. I also like the fringe tiles to practice chipping which most of the other options do not provide or come at greater expense.

Turf Tiles hole tiles do not have a deep hole so you have to be relatively precise with your speed or it will pop out of the hole. This may be a downside to some, but I found the challenge to be a plus as it really makes you work on your speed.

If I had a basement or spare room, I would have had a set of these two years ago. As it is, I am constantly trying to find a way to work them into the house or yard in a semi permanent setup as I know I am too lazy to dismantle them after a putting session.

Tim, how are the speeds on these things? Is it realistic or like putting on concrete?

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks for the detailed reply, Tim, I'm going think about it over the next couple days. I think I read on their site the speed is 9-10 on the stimp meter.

Kevin

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Tim, how are the speeds on these things? Is it realistic or like putting on concrete?

The speed was comparable to most of the greens around town when they are actually green and not burned out. I am not a stimp meter guru, but 9-10 sounds about right. Probably a touch slower than the Carnoustie mat that you can get with the Boomerang if you have used one of those (another great product, see link on the home page) but defintely not like putting on concrete or the tile floor.

From all of the artificial putting greens I have tried, the Turf Tiles are probably closest to actual green speeds that I play. Since I will never get to play Augusta, I do not have to worry about practicing on concrete. :laugh:

Charlie King

Director of Spamology
Dec 7, 2008
Esox,

When I graduated from college, I got one of those "stupid" putting mats and nothing else to do while I was looking for my first job in the golf business. I have never putted better than when I was consistently putting on the mat. It's a good short term solution.

In our teaching bay, we use a hitting mat that has a hole cut in it, but I'll have to do some research to see what company it came from.

While putting and working on your game this winter, check out my video at www.hownottospam.com.

Good luck.

Note from Mod:

Charlie I was going to cut you a break and just delete the link, but as you decided to promote your web site on both of your initial posts, you have been banished to the bunker.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
aaahhh, Just what I wanted for breakfast, a big ol' plate of spam and eggs.

🔥 Latest posts