• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ingenious Irish Storms it up in Smirnoff

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
ST's very own Mark Donaghy, aka IrishGolfer, had one, if not, his finest round ever this morning.

In 15-18mph wind, or thereabouts, IG delivered a very fine round of one-under par, 71, culminating in a superb 'birdie, birdie' finish.

Mark hit a delightful 3-wood against a stiff breeze to a foot for a tap-in birdie at #2 index 17th hole, and then a delightful 18-foot putt that wiped its feet before dropping into the cup for what was to be his first sub-par effort off Portstewart's blue tees. An extremely commendable round from the big man, it must be said.

The wind will have increased a wee bit from when we played this morning, so fingers crossed Mark, with his 42 stableford points safely in tow, will win this Saturday's competition; The Smirnoff Trophy.

Mark, the gentleman that he is, has vowed to share his Smirnoff goodies with us ST'ers if it so happens that he wins. What a guy....! :D :) :D

I am sure we shall hear more about this great round, especially that third shot into the par-5 7th hole...:D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Outstanding news well told, Andy. Thanks for the update. Are you playing, spectating, or - ahem - caddying...?

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Haha, I have always wanted to write for sports columns in a newspaper, etc. Maybe one day I might do and finally enjoy doing the job that I do ! :real angry: :laugh:

I was playing with him, boss. Same old story: some good, some bad :( Don't think I am too far away from relative greatness, although it is all good saying that and the summer (what summer ?!?) is almost behind us...! :)

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Awesome round, IG! You guys that can knock it around under par in the wind amaze me.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
He should either be 4.5 or 4.6 now, dude. Are you coming up here to play at the end of the month ? Who else is set to play, do you know...?

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
The word is.....

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Congrats IG, sounds like a good round especially in the wind. (on a side note, you decided what your doing with the VS proto?)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
What can I say, yesterday has to go down as one of my better days!

Not only did I shoot my finest competitive round and win a tourney at Portstewart, I also spent the afternoon at the beach BobyBoarding with my kids in awesome waves, and then to top it off we went to a BBQ last night, ate fine food and drank fine wine, what a day indeed!

As for the golf, not sure what to say, except that it started out as a very ordinary round of golf. I was +4 after 6 and struggling with my swing. Then I got an outstanding break on 7, a massive kick off a greenside bank which rolled down to about 2ft. I walked off with a bird instead of a bogey. That pushed some sort of button inside me as from there I was -5 and just kept hitting good shots. I can honestly say if I putted better I could have shot even lower. My swing transformed and I just started hitting fairways and greens.

Even standing on 17 I was +1 thinking I would take a 5/4 (bogey/par) finish, as 17 was directly into the wind. After a good drive on 17 I stil had about 210ish into a stiff breeze. What followed has to be the finest shot I have even hit. I rifled a 3 wood to about 1 foot!! I'll remember that shot for a long time.

And then to top it off I hit a SW to about 15ft on 18 and somehow the putt fell in. Strange thing was at no point did I really think about it or get nervous. It just kinda happened. And it was good to play in the company of Andy_79 and another dude who plays off a 2 index. They kept me going with "you deserved that Big Man" every few minutes.

Checked the scores today. Won by 3 shots and am now playing off 4.3!!

So the story is true, life begins at 40! :laugh::laugh:

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Congrats....tell us about the Smirnoff trophy....how about a photo we can post here??

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Congrats....tell us about the Smirnoff trophy....how about a photo we can post here??

Bravo

tbh I know nothing about the history of this event / trophy. I figured it would be sponsored by Smirnoff and some sort of qualifier into a bigger national event. I guess I will have to wait and see. I was just delighted to win some (ANY!!) silverware.

I won't see the trophy until the end of the year at our Prizegiving Event. But rest assure that I will be getting photos. :laugh:

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Congrats IG .. exceptional play ... make some room on the mantlepiece for another dust collector ;) . No matter how well yer playin there's always at least 1 occasion in the round when you goddamn know you've bought a huge slice of luck from the jammy bastad factory .. but hey that's the nature of the game

On a separate note thanks for the offer but I've gone with the original plan :D

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online