• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Install ideas?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
One of my Christmas presents is going to be a 10'X10' flat panel practice net. I could dig a couple of holes and set the poles in concrete but I'm kinda lazy and I have a bad back.

The net will be set up in front of a 5' chain link fence so I've been trying to think of a way to attach a light weight post, like conduit, to the fence posts to avoid digging the holes.

The thing is, the net posts need to be about a foot in front of the fence posts so the net has room to move when hit with the massive force of my swing. :D

Anyway, here's a crappy drawing of what I'd like to accomplish. I just don't know if there's a simple way of doing this or if I have get really creative.

Ideas appeciated.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I don't think you'd need to set the posts in concrete. But you will have to allow more room for the netting to move. You'll be hammering the fence with anything above a 6 iron.

Honestly, I don't think you'd be saving much in terms of funds or your back by not buying a collapsable net. The one I have comes with tie downs to keep it stable and not blowing around in the wind. Then, once done, you can pack it up again.

My worries would be the ground. You'd need a hitting platform and something for your feet. Natural ground would be sweet, but you'd have that worn down to dirt in no time flat.

Spend some money and get some floodlights so you can hit at night. It's much cooler then. Plus, who doesn't like crushing beers and HX Blues under the moonlight?:D

R35

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I looked at the collapsable nets but none are intended to left outside. The one I'm getting is what they use at places like golfsmith so it'll last a long time.

My thinking is that if it's always there I won't hesitate to go hit a few balls when I have a little time. If I have to set up a net every time I know I won't use it as much. The floodlight idea is good, wonder if the wife would mind me adding to the Christmas list.

Think 2' would be enough?

I will have a nice area to hit from. The ground isn't level but I'm going to build up an area with dirt and crushed gravel and then use a Softee mat. Suppose to be pretty realistic and with it sitting on the ground it should give a little anyway.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
DaveE said:
Think 2' would be enough?

Maybe 3' depending on how tightly it's stretched on the frame. If it's loose, you can just pull on it at the midpoint to get a depth, then add some additional for wiggle room.

If it is stretched, the net will lossen and degrade over time. I have a kickback-type soccer net in the backyard that stays out most of the year, but gets stored down the basement in winter (where it is now). It's 3 years old, and pretty saggy.

FWIW.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Good call.

What about high impact PVC? It's cheap and easy to cut. You could weight it down and build it somewhat like a hockey net.

Oh right, you don't know what that is.:D

Basically, you build a framework with 90* angles at every corner. The bottom would be a two way to accept the framework for the bottom in which would could fill with sand or cement if you were crazy enough. Then, you could attach the netting by weaving a string around the outside of the frame and through the netting itself.

Hell, you could do this in an afternoon.:D

R35

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rock, that might work. One of the nice things about this net is that is has a border and bottom is weighted so it only has to be attached at the top where it has gromets.

If I filled the bottom with sand like you say and then figured out how to attach it to the fence posts for added stability it'd be there a long time. FWIW I called the company and they said 18" away from the fence would be ok but I think I'll still go for 2'.

Here's a pic of what the netting looks like.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ya, that looks pretty heavy duty. I thought maybe you'd have something lighter to keep the effects of the wind to a minimum. But that'll work.

R35

Don

Aug 23, 2005
Dave: Don't be too surprised at how much the wind will effect that net. I have a net in my backyard, and the wind plays hell with it if I leave it standing up all the time. I have mine so I can lay it down when I'm not using it, and I can stand it up in 5 seconds time and hold it in place by laying a 4"x4"x8' post on a surport arm on one of the uprights for the net. I did leave it up all the time until one day the wind blew the net over and bent the 2 steel poles of the frame. Your net looks a lot more solid than mine, so I'd have to think the wind will effect it even more than what it did to my net. Good luck with the net and have fun.

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Yeah, wind will be an issue but my #1 priority was durabity since I'm leaving it outside.

I might consider the idea of a frame I can lay down though, that makes sense.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Complete supply list

Four 10 foot pieces of 2" ABS

Four 90* 2" ABS corner pieces

Two 2" T=connects

Three Pulleys

Three Jam Cleats

50 Feet of Nylon rope

Two Sandbags

Think about how you would use all of these components in one assembly and you will have your framework. Viola.:)

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Dave
I would be doubtful about pvc - an errent ball would seem to me to shatter it.
i would suggest emt (metal conduit) formed in a upside down U shape, with forward and backward guy lines going from the corners to stakes on each side. A couple of cheap clips so you can unhook the front or back sides and it should lay down easy and go back up in a flash. hope this seems clear- if not ask and i will try to post a pic.
I have a 15' x 15' net i just strung between two trees but do have concerns about how long before ultraviolet light breaks it down (seems like a good quality net and got it for free from a friend :) )

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Doug,

If Dave hits the PVC with a ball, he needs to build a range in his backyard! :D

They make high impact PVC too, it should resist a golf ball if hit. Plus, it's cheap, so if you smash a section, just fix it up!:)

R35

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Dave,
I guess i was ignorant of "high impact" pvc. different than schedule 80 ? available at home depot or lowes? (always like knowing about different chit, never know when it could come in handy). thanks dave

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Oh and Dave- i have a 15'x15' net and have sent a few "sky" shots over with both driver and wedge. I will admit to standing kinda far back (20'? with driver not with the wedge :) ) and did mess with tee height quite a bit at one time. I dont worry tho, empty field of kudzu behind me. even send a few out there now and then on purpose
peace

🔥 Latest posts