• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Install ideas?

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks for input guys.

Doug, I'm not planning on having my hitting area that far away but even if I do miss one it's a vacant lot for me too so nobody's gonna get hurt. I'm gonna have to make sure it's high impact pvc though cause I don't want to do this twice.

I've thought about the wind issue and decided to fix the frame in place. Because this net is weighted at the bottom it only has to be attached at the top. A strong wind should only blow the net and not the frame if it's attached properly. But I can see how a net attached on three sides would act like a sail.

Rock, I think my most current design would be sort of like a hockey cage, whatever that is. :p Here's a crude drawing of what I'm thinking. The two short lines in the back represent the fence posts that I can strap it to. They just happen to be 10' apart and buried in concrete. At some point it may easier to just dig the damn holes and bury a couple of posts. :)

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
That would be to easy

Man that would make it far to simple. If all you did was set two flag poles with a ten foot reveal. Then you would just be able to run it up the halyard when you wanted to use it and drop it to avoid wind problems. You most certainly can not do that, it would show fore thought and planning, then your wife would have expectations for your next project, and you would be forced to live up to those. Eventually this leads to your wife telling every person she comes in contact with how handy you are. Its a slippery spiral slope my friend.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hockey cage? You wear a cage on your helmet to protect your face.

Hockey net, yo. Or, failing that, a goal.

:D

Nice design, BTW. You must be using the latest in CAD technology. LOL.

R35

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Davebud, my original idea was just to bury two poles but I live in the land of rocks. By the time the holes are dug my back will be so far gone I won't be able to use the net for months.

I have to have a bag of potting soil to plant anything here. Dig a hole, get rid of the rocks, put dirt and plant back in hole.

Rock, I was hoping that drawing wasn't too teknakal for ya. :) All I have is an old version of publisher so I'm a little limited.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Thats what teenagers are for

Find a local teen, and pull out a fresh $20.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It just dawned on me....

Why not just buy onion bags full of those water balls and just smoke them out into the wilderness? Then, take the dogs for a walk and buy one of those picker so you can grab them again on your travels.

I think this is a sound answer to your problems. :D

R35

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
If I had a wilderness in my back yard that might just work. I'm gonna get a bag of balls to practice with though. DOGB has a bag of 100 ProV1 for $35.00. People sure lose alot of those huh?

I might check into the auger but I don't think they go through granite. Seriously, a 3' or 4' hole here is big deal.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I thought you said you had a huge lot next door? WTF? :D

If you're digging 3 feet down to support a structure that might weight 75 lbs, you're nuts. You'd be better off creating a cement base for it and doing no digging.

Remember, you're gonna be standing 6 feet away from this thing all the time, so it's not like you're gonna hack one so wildly that you risk killing youurself. My only problem to date with my basement setup is that I blew a hole through the mesh once. But I had it replaced on warranty, as I found that it was brittle in places. The new one is minty, however.

I really think this is getting too complicated. You basically need a square to mount the mesh onto and an angled frame to attach and lean it on. The rest is butter.

R35

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rockford35 said:
I thought you said you had a huge lot next door? WTF? :D

If you're digging 3 feet down to support a structure that might weight 75 lbs, you're nuts. You'd be better off creating a cement base for it and doing no digging.

R35

Holy sh*t I can't believe you said this. When we moved into this house I found the poles for a volley ball net behind the garage. But I had competely forgotten about them until now. Two aluminum poles each into a concrete base. They're not 10' tall but if I could figure out how to extend them I'd be done.

Guess what I'll be doing the second I get home? Ok you're right I'll be taking the dogs out to pee but right after that I'm gonna go find those poles.

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rockford35 said:
My consulting fee is a Launcher Ti with....:D

R35

You big ol' ho I can't believe you have'nt bought one yet. I do have a Launcher 5 wood I'm not using but you'll have to send your gf down to pick it up. :D

🔥 Latest posts