• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

interesting e-mail

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i received this e-mail today.the knowledge seems solid.but like everything else i dont see it happening.

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.

This wa s sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!

It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.98 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace...not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they re duce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .. and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I don't think anyone would hold out once Exxon lowered their prices 0.25 below the nearest competitor.

Here's an even better idea... ride a bike, or make less trips. :p

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Here's an idea. Outlaw V8's for anything except agriculture and shipping. No personal V8's.

That would cut huge amounts of consumption in a heartbeat.

R35

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
If people want to pay $3.30 to go 8 miles, more power to them. If gas goes to $4.50 and they're still willing to pay it, more power to 'em... Waste of money in my book, but it's not the place of government to tell people what to do with their money. People with V8's don't pay less for gas, but they GET less for it.

I bike a lot in the spring/summer/fall, and stay at a friend's house who lives close to my work (happens to be Laura, haha). I still drive 300+ miles a week because of college and whatnot.

What you must consider, is what is the value of your X-mile trip? Is it worth $3.30 for you to go 29 miles? 20 miles? 12 miles? 6 miles? It's a personal choice.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
From my point of view, sure the odd person will bike to work, or actually make an effort in using less gas. But until a solid law is instated, gas consumption won't drop substantially. What that law is? I couldn't even tell ya. People are going to argue against any law, you can't please everyone.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I wonder if I could ride my bike the .5 miles to my course with my sticks on my back?

I guess there's only one way to find out. Ill let you know how it goes on Saturday evening.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If people want to pay $3.30 to go 8 miles, more power to them. If gas goes to $4.50 and they're still willing to pay it, more power to 'em... Waste of money in my book, but it's not the place of government to tell people what to do with their money. People with V8's don't pay less for gas, but they GET less for it.

I bike a lot in the spring/summer/fall, and stay at a friend's house who lives close to my work (happens to be Laura, haha). I still drive 300+ miles a week because of college and whatnot.

What you must consider, is what is the value of your X-mile trip? Is it worth $3.30 for you to go 29 miles? 20 miles? 12 miles? 6 miles? It's a personal choice.

The trouble with your theory is that people with V8's in their cars/trucks have disposable income. They don't give a rat's about the price of gas.

It's those that do care that still pay for others "choice". Gas is priced based on supply and demand. If supply gets high because demand is lower, prices go down.

The less that gets used, the lower prices get and everyone benefits. Not just those that can afford to waste.

R35

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Of course they have disposable income. And they dispose of it, for sure. You could use this premise on ANY commodity. If nobody paid 500$ for a driver, the price of the CGB Max would go down. But you don't employ a law to regulate such a thing.

Gas just happens to be a commodity that EVERYBODY uses. Even if it cost 10$ a gallon, it's still a valuablt thing versus the alternative, which might be biking/walking 20 miles to work. Rationing is not the answer. Fact of the matter is, most people aren't getting choked out by the "high" gas prices in this country, unless they want to drive to the mall 15 times a week.

Gas prices are a problem. But again, rationing is not the answer. Rich people don't get rich by throwing away money (though those are the ones you hear about in the media). Ask yourself what it's worth to you to not have to walk places. If gas exceeds that amount, walk. That's how capitalism works. Buy something until it costs more than you value it at. When everybody stops buying, either the price goes down, or the company goes out of business.

It's WELL worth it to me to be able to travel 25-30 miles in less than half an hour for $3.30. If it went to $5.00, I'd make many less trips. I'm a part time working college student basically paying my own way. I don't LIKE paying $3.30 for gas. I'd benefit greatly by a reduction in cost. But that's just bad economics.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Here's an idea. Outlaw V8's for anything except agriculture and shipping. No personal V8's.

That would cut huge amounts of consumption in a heartbeat.

R35

Uhm, no. How about banning Suburu's and their needless all wheel drive?

Who is worse, people with a truck that gets 12 mph, driving 10000 miles a year, or people with a Civic who drive 50000 miles per year?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I say we ban any vehicle that doesn't have a Cd (coefficient of drag) of 0.33 (at most). That way we could all drive faster, while using the same amount of fuel to overcome inherent drag.

Remember - a faster society is a better society.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Uhm, no. How about banning Suburu's and their needless all wheel drive?

Who is worse, people with a truck that gets 12 mph, driving 10000 miles a year, or people with a Civic who drive 50000 miles per year?
Apparently you dont live in a place that gets much snow...AWD and 4x4(not the same thing btw) are almost essential to get around in some parts of the country, especially for those people that cant afford a truck to get around in.

I dont believe banning anything will help...never has before, eventually it will get to the point where they start pricing us out of the market and it will come down...thats the way the market works...deal with it.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I would say that e-mail has merit. It would work. Problem is, nobody has the ambition to do it much less pass on the e-mail. :)

I work with Mobil and other big oil companies on oil testing for our company's transmissions and I can say when some product isn't selling they discontinue it. They couldn't do that with gas. :)

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Apparently you dont live in a place that gets much snow...AWD and 4x4(not the same thing btw) are almost essential to get around in some parts of the country, especially for those people that cant afford a truck to get around in.

I have lived in Winnipeg, Manitoba and Thunder Bay, Ontario my whole life. These 2 areas get as much, if not more snow than any place in the US. We basically have 5 months of harsh winter and waist high snow in yards is more than common. I have never owned a 4x4 or AWD vehicle. If we can get by out here without then anyone can.

I have to agree with Rock on this. Does a mother driving kids to school, and to ballet and sports really need a 300 horsepower SUV? Its all about image imo.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
gas could kinda mirror the housing market. the price of houses rose to a point of being ridiculous, at that point "the bubble burst", and prices have since seen a severe decline. with gas as the price continues to rise people that drive large suv's but can barely afford gas will begin to move to smaller 4 door cars or compact suv's thus gas consumption will decrease changing the demand and increasing supply. then we will see prices fall again. as was stated in the email, you get used to the price of gas because you must have it so the decrease will be slow because we are used to $2.50 gas. It will never be .99 again but maybe it will be $1.29 again.

i drive a toyota tacoma, my wife drive a 4x4 isuzu rodeo, we just had a baby and have definately looked into more cost efficient vehicles.......as will all the people I see that live in a falling down house but drive an expedition or escalade......it is all about image...but at $5.00 a gallon can these people afford the image.

jason

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
I have lived in Winnipeg, Manitoba and Thunder Bay, Ontario my whole life. These 2 areas get as much, if not more snow than any place in the US. We basically have 5 months of harsh winter and waist high snow in yards is more than common. I have never owned a 4x4 or AWD vehicle. If we can get by out here without then anyone can.

I have to agree with Rock on this. Does a mother driving kids to school, and to ballet and sports really need a 300 horsepower SUV? Its all about image imo.

Image is everything down here in L.A. Its ridiculous its a race with your neighbors to see who can have the latest and greatest. People put themselves in debt just to buy crap like SUV's with 20" wheels they cant afford.

Members online

No members online now.