• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Interesting findings after extended test session

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Last night a friend phoned me wanting some opinions on a new set of irons. He's a high handicapper, so i suggested trying out everything that he could get his hands on.

Then he made a mistake. He said "Well, let's head down to the store, hit some balls...."

Well, he went to be educated, i went to hit balls. I hit EVERYTHING. From 200 dollar starter sets to brand new sets of Mizuno's and Callaways.

Interestingly enough, the clubs that i loved the feel of weren't Callaways. They weren't Titleist. They weren't Nike, Taylor Made, Cobra, Ping or any of the big names.

They were a set of Nike Slingshot knock-offs made by a group called Precision. I hit the Slingshot thinking "how come these feel like dog doo, but these super cheapies feel like i'm puring them constantly?"

Total price, including 2 woods was 300CDN. Insane! The simulator had me hitting 7 irons about 170. Compared to a good 7 iron with a Slingshot or my trusty X-16's, at about 155-158.

The thing that I have found over the last few years is that so many irons have come out that are so good, that it's tough to tell many of them apart when it comes to feel. The lower end companies that produce knock offs are becoming better and better when it comes to quality. They just feel that damn good.

Woods are another category in themselves. The knock offs are NEVER better than OEM stuff. All those huge-ass heads are all the same. Tin sounding and terrible for feedback. I strongly beleive that 90% of a clubs interaction with the player is in the shaft. I really do. It can make or break you.

Damn those irons were sweet.

Comment as you wish. :fart:

R35

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
A blade slingshot knockoff? That sounds odd... :)

Or are you on a new wagon? LOL

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nah, no new wagons here. They just felt outstanding.

They're no unforgiving blade, mind you... :p

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Rock:

Ok times are good in your household.

Just got a beautiful new vehicle, etc.

Why not go ahead and get the irons (without woods) and give them a shot next Spring?

Less than the cost of a new Driver and you may love them....

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
We'll see Bravo, we'll see. :)

I'm happy with my driver, fairway woods, wedges, irons and putter. Might as well get something new, right?...lol...

We'll see what happens while the white stuff is on the ground. You just never know.

Club Ho, er, R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.