• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Interesting fitting exercise

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So #2 son wants a new driver for Christmas. I took him for a fitting with a local pro who has a simulator. The boy can hit a ball, he has a huge amount of clubhead speed and ball speed (107mph and 137mph) but hits everything with a very low and hooking ball flight. He has a very strong right-hand grip and is quite supple (I remember those days!!) so speed is not an issue. Consistency is, he plays off 11 h/c. Once he got warmed up with my Cobra F9, he was hitting 300-yard stingers with a 30-yard hook. Problem was that he was only carrying 230 yards with 70 yards of runout. His launch angle is ~7-8 degrees.

The pro hit a few shots with his own driver and was carrying 270 yards with about 30 yards of run while swinging with 130mph ball speed. So he is 7mph slower but able to hit similar distances.

The pro finally figured out that he needs a 12-degree clubhead with weighting set towards the toe to offset the hook plus an extra stiff shaft. He's going for a M5 / M6 option. He didn't have any of those heads in stock, so is ordering one in. More to follow.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I also had my eye on the new TM P970 irons with Nippon shafts. They look gorgeous and feel lovely, but the data suggested that I wasn't getting anything more from these than my current gamers (TM SLDR). The pro basically said he would be quite happy to take my cash, but if it was him, he would stick to what was already working. I may put the $$$s into new wedges instead.

An interesting aside. he said the TMs have some "hot" tendencies. I hit a 7 iron 185 yards!! The ball speed, launch etc were all identical but I must have hit a hot spot. Not sure I like that at all. Love hitting a shot that far, but not if it puts me OB behind the green.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
An interesting aside. he said the TMs have some "hot" tendencies. I hit a 7 iron 185 yards!! The ball speed, launch etc were all identical but I must have hit a hot spot. Not sure I like that at all. Love hitting a shot that far, but not if it puts me OB behind the green.

I sold my PING G400 irons for that very reason. I never knew when one of those bombs was going to go off, air mailing a green. I have a more predictable game with older tech in irons.

🔥 Latest posts