• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Interesting Round of Golf with nututhugame

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
nututhugame has improved tremendously these last couple of years to the point where he regularly crushes me into a pathetic pile of mush. He's way too long for me to complete so yesterday he played for nothing on one of my "passes" I got with my gold membership. I told him he had to play the blues (7000 yards approx.) and I got to play the golds (6200 yards approx) and off we went, thunderstorms looming in the distance. We only had rain on the last hole (but the lightening bolts were flying accross the sky on 17 and 18).

This little "fix" really helped make the day more competitive for me and in the end after the smoke cleared nututhugame still prevailed but only by one stroke. I didn't feel like I was totally overmatched (even though at the same tees I would have been) and it turned out to be a great day. Hope nututhugame thinks so too.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
This is how my dad and I compete as well. He plays from the whites usually somewhere in the 6200-6500 range and I play the tips 6800-7300. With that he gets one strokes a side and we are pretty even. This usually puts us at about the same clubs into greens on par 4s and 3s. It has made it a lot more enjoyable for both of us to play together.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I do think so. It was a good day. Only thing is, I was near irate that we didn't get a cart girl till the 15'th hole. The one lightning bolt was just so right on time. Jer hit his drive and at the moment we were both watching his ball a huge bolt came all the way down in the background. Kinda scary backdrop. We were definately more even playing from a similar distance into the green. Made for a noticeably faster round having less stops with the cart too. We even hit into the same ponds and bunkers.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I'll play in rain. I'll play in snow. We even played one Memorial Day in Minnesota when it was raining ice pellets. I will NOT play when there is even the hint of lightning!!!! The clothes will dry out. The clubs and bag will dry out. You can warm your hands over a fire or over a hot cup of coffee. You usually don't survive a lightning strike.
Every week, I buy a Powerball ticket. One of these days, I'm gonna win a Powerball jackpot and retire. They say your chances are better to be struck by lightning twice than win a Powerball jackpot once. With those odds... if lightning crackles anywhere in the area, I'm headed to the clubhouse.

If short games are anywhere near matched, it makes sense to play from tees that would better suit one's tee game. Two of our regular group hit it a lot longer than the rest of us. We "old farts" can out duel them with our short games and have pretty even matches. Played a couple years with a group at a different course. There, one of our group was significantly longer off the tee and his short game was solid. He always played from at least one set of tees further back than the rest of us. He'd usually still beat us by a couple strokes. But, now and then one of us would have a good day and get him. It was far more competitive with him playing a longer course than we did.

It's also amazing the change in WBL since I joined ShotTalk a few years ago. Back then, if someone out drove him we would be guaranteed of hearing about his new driver purchase the next week. As we mature, I guess he's finally come to the realization that lots of things... including our driving distance... get shorter with age!!! :>)

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
I'll play in rain. I'll play in snow. We even played one Memorial Day in Minnesota when it was raining ice pellets. I will NOT play when there is even the hint of lightning!!!! The clothes will dry out. The clubs and bag will dry out. You can warm your hands over a fire or over a hot cup of coffee. You usually don't survive a lightning strike.
QUOTE]

Lightning can strike in broad daylight. Back in high school I was out playing a round when all of a sudden lightning hit a tree about 200 yards away. It was sunny and warm outside and there was only 1 cloud in the sky. It was such a weird feeling. I could feel hair on my arms rise up.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Lightning can strike in broad daylight. Back in high school I was out playing a round when all of a sudden lightning hit a tree about 200 yards away. It was sunny and warm outside and there was only 1 cloud in the sky. It was such a weird feeling. I could feel hair on my arms rise up.

Thanks for ruining the rest of my life.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
"Lightning can strike in broad daylight. Back in high school I was out playing a round when all of a sudden lightning hit a tree about 200 yards away. It was sunny and warm outside and there was only 1 cloud in the sky."

A few years ago, a similar incident happened at a high school in our area. Girls Soccer team was practicing. No t-storms in the area. No dark clouds. Nothing that would give any hint as to danger. Lightning struck one of the high school girls, with instantly fatal results.
If it's your time to go, there is little you can do to prevent it. However, pushing your luck by playing golf in a t-storm is just thumbing your nose at the "Big Guy in the Sky".

🔥 Latest posts

Members online