• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Interesting shaft wiggle on Ping Driver

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Was browsing the Latest Ping drivers at the store yesterday.
R flex shafts. Held it out kind of at arms length just looking at, wiggle wagged it a bit, and WOW, the head really flexes band forth very noticeably. Way more than the R shafts in my old Cobra S9 and an Adams speed line.

I should go back and hit it in the Bay. Can’t say I trust hitting Bays though. Pretty sure the radar first reads your credit score...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
So much difference in "R" flex shafts, "S" flex, etc. I have "R" flex Recoils in my Callaway hybrids that seem stiffer than the "S" flex standard shafts in my Ping hybrids. So little has changed in clubhead size or design, the major change has been in shaft manufacture. Almost impossible to know how a specific flex designation will work until you actually hit it.
At 74 years old, there is no way I should be playing "S" flex in anything! But, I have a unique swing... somewhere between Jim Furyk and Charles Barkley. If I get into too weak of a flex, the head wobbles all over the place through the swing. And, I am one of the longer hitters in our geezer group.

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
Yes Sir. Am pushing 64 myself. Instead of buying any new clubs on "back to golf day", got a weight set to work out with.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Yes Sir. Am pushing 64 myself. Instead of buying any new clubs on "back to golf day", got a weight set to work out with.
Heck! Still a young flat-belly!! I get a pretty good workout, every day, carrying the load of quarters I win from the geezer guys back to my truck! :>) ~230 18-hole rounds in 2020. By the time I play golf and get my afternoon nap, there ain't time for things like weight lifting, treadmills, etc. Oh... My naps are often interrupted by keeping my wife's widowed girlfriends going. Have to go reset clocks for one this afternoon. She's blonde, just like my wife. They speak a different language, one I've sorta learned to interpret over the 55 years of our marriage. "Blonde", though, ain't got any words they understand about mechanical or electrical things. (Sure glad my wife isn't a member here!!!) :>)

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada

Limp uses my kind of workout gear, cash money baby!! LOL

I’ve got some grays sneaking in now that my wife loves making known. But my only work out still is lifting a whisky glass or beer can to my lips!

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
One of my buddies and I noticed the same thing with the Ping G425 stock Alta CB 55 Slate R shaft. He was demoing one and the shaft seemed really whippy. I have a G400 with the stock Alta CB 55 R shaft and it's not as flexible. He spent the rest of the round playing my driver instead of the G425 demo.

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
I have two drivers that I attempt to play.
One is a cobra SZ extreme
The other is a tour edge c721.

both R flex.
The cobra has noticeable less wiggle at the head.
I can put the heads against the wall and give a little press on them and see the difference as well.
On the course and range the difference is day and night.
Both are 10.5
The cobra launches high with a little less tendency to slice.
The Tour edge launches a lot lower.

I get the feeling that the tour edge flex is so flexy, that the head tucks under , creating a lower loft.... and it slices more.
When I try and swing faster, the difference becomes more pronounced.
I’m tempted to just zip tie or duck tape something to the lower 6 inches of the tour edge shaft to see what happens

🔥 Latest posts