• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Interesting situation with Ping

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Read this at WRX, thought I'd share it (hope you don't mind, Sling):

Usually don't do this but I bought some Eye 2+'s on Ebay. I receive the clubs (heads only) open them up repack them and overnight them to ping for the works new shafts, guyson finish, and lie adjustment. Ping calls me okays the charges, goes over specs, and all is good. I am on cloud 9 then the phone rings it's Ping, and they tell me the serial #'s come up as stolen (in 2000) they proceed to tell me that the heads have been turned over to legal and I probably will never see them again. Now I am playing the waiting game, and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

That's a cut/paste of the original post. After that, he get's a call from the Phoenix police confirming that he will not be receiving his heads back. He also contacted the seller who is a cop and just bought them on ebay a month before. Seller is going to contact his seller for a refund, but it's doubtful IMHO that's going to happen.

I'm wondering what you guys think about this...not what should he do because I think ultimately he's SOL, but more about the whole situation.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Always a risk when you buy second hand, but well done Ping, hopefully the original owner will get his clubs back. No point having serial numbers if they do nothing with the information. Great service from Ping.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
When I bought my Eye 2+'s on eBay, the serial number was listed in the sale so I called Ping before I pulled the trigger just to verify that the set was legit. They confirmed that it was A) not fakes and B) not stolen. When I received the set the first thing I dd was call Ping and re-register them under my name.

It sucks to lose an eBay purchase like that with no compensation, but if your the guy who had them stolen from you and get them returned that is just plain awesome.

OP
MCDavis

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Yep, I called Ping with the serial # to my i3's before I bought them and confirmed the specs. It's too easy not to do that.

I kinda question Ping's ability to do this 8 years down the road, though. Isn't there a statute of limitations/time limit/something on stolen property? I mean, it is outstanding customer service to the guy who had them stolen, but is that the only issue here?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm wondering what you guys think about this...not what should he do because I think ultimately he's SOL, but more about the whole situation.

Only a moron would be SOL for the money. My email to the seller would read something like this... I'll give you 24 hrs. to refund my money plus shipping, plus my shipping cost to send them to Ping. Then I am going to the State Police and filing charges against you. After that I'm going to my lawyer and deciding in what state we will be going to small claims court. Please send the amount of $XXX.XX to my Paypal. Thanks.

The seller is also guilty of mail fraud as well as receiving stolen goods. Cop or not, it's his problem to send it down the line to the buyer he bought them from if he's telling the truth. I gotta find this on WRX and go stir some $hit.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Normal statute of limitations for civil suits is 7 year, i thought only felonies are without a statute of limitations, but either way stolen property is stolen property....

I feel for the guy that lost the cash, but the right thing was done i believe. Cut your losses here and go one with your life. It will cost you WAY more money in the long run to go after this guy for the price of the clubs than it will to just let it go.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Interesting, I would consider reporting the Pings that my wife had stolen(lost) on the airlines, but would hate to think they may show up some day and would she would have to take them back and refund the money. Guess I'll leave that up to the airlines to do. :laugh:

When I sold mine, I also sent the original information from Ping that came with the clubs, which I think more people should hold on to these when they buy new clubs. When I sold them, I was going to throw it away and figured after all the stuff you hear about it may put someones mind at ease in case the hear about all the counterfeits out there in the future. Not that it really mattered, because I sold them to a friend of a friend. Anymore, as little as I ho, this is why I like to buy clubs either new, or used through a proven source that has their business to look out for if they are unknowingly moving stolen goods or counterfeits.

edit 1 - and I believe the statute of limitations varies from state to state, but would be surprised if it had not expired from 2000 in most states. Although if these crossed state lines, which sounds likely, then that may change matters as well.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Normal statute of limitations for civil suits is 7 year, i thought only felonies are without a statute of limitations, but either way stolen property is stolen property....

I feel for the guy that lost the cash, but the right thing was done i believe. Cut your losses here and go one with your life. It will cost you WAY more money in the long run to go after this guy for the price of the clubs than it will to just let it go.

OK. So he's got 6yrs. and 51weeks to file charges if he was sold stolen clubs last week. Just backcharge the CC purchase, takes 10 minutes.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
OK. So he's got 6yrs. and 51weeks to file charges if he was sold stolen clubs last week. Just backcharge the CC purchase, takes 10 minutes.

Agreed. Let the seller follow up with whomever HE got them from after the refund. And, if he's a cop, he'll know what buttons to push and what he wouldn't want getting back to his captain.

R35

🔥 Latest posts