• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Interesting Tiger Hypothesis

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
Nothing suprises me much about professional athletes these days. I miss the old Babe Ruth hot dog and beer diet days.

Legrandfromage

Aug 28, 2004
Tiger is just getting fat

Steroids? I don't think so, why would he think to benefit? I believe his advancing age, marriage, good chow, no worries about sex, big boat, lots of travel, lucrative endorsements, Tiger has discovered the 'American Way' of life. And he is settled in to enjoy it. Along the way he will win some golf tournaments but his point has been proven and he doesn't need to stretch the envelope any more in his professional life. In fact it would be ok with me if he just retired and then we wouldn't have to keep hearing about how everybody has to beat him. The Open was a good example, he was never a danger to the winner, who played his own game without any pressure other than toiurnament pressure. Why does Tiger get the adulation and the attention? Just like Paris Hilton, made her splash, now will get married and fat and make babies and bye-bye fame.

My opinion, does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the sponsors, editors or other contributors. Maybe it does. Any comments??

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
LGF, in that Tiger fest that TGC had, one quote from him stands out to me:

"Records were meant to be broken."

Jack always said he'd be done when he was 35, hell, definitely by the time he was 40. Today, he says he's going to retire after the British (oops, I mean the Open Championship), because he is simply no longer competitive. We'll see.

If what you say is true, Tiger would have been done long ago. He has an acute sense of history, and truly believes he's the best ever. He appears to have a need to prove that to himself and the world, and frankly, he's got a lot of Majors to go.

And he ain't getting any younger.

If he was not focused that way, why bother with all the swing changes? Besides, his endorsement deals won't be nearly so sweet if he stops winning. It takes a mound of cash to keep Team Tiger going. Just imagine what it must take to keep Stevie in race cars. ;)

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
Farquod said:
My mom, who is 76, agrees with Devin. She has been a non-Tiger fan for several years now (before his "slump"), noting how much he "pouts and mopes."

She likes Phil and Freddie, FWIW.

Appearances can be so deceiving, especially in front of a public camera. I Read alot of player interviews on golfdigest.com and everyone speaks of Tiger so highly; they all describe Tiger as very laid back, cool and with great humor. I think it takes one's peers and friends to know one best rather than a third perspective.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
CKGuY914 said:
Appearances can be so deceiving, especially in front of a public camera. I Read alot of player interviews on golfdigest.com and everyone speaks of Tiger so highly; they all describe Tiger as very laid back, cool and with great humor. I think it takes one's peers and friends to know one best rather than a third perspective.

No argument. That wasn't the point, tho, it was keeping up the image of the game and the player as per the First Tee.

Phil and Freddie both keep up the public persona that would fulfill those requirements; Freddie is being himself, Phil, perhaps not, according to the opinions of their peers.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
You may also think about the fact that, since Tiger has become the ratings cow, prize money has skyrocketed. Would the majority of the players out there publically trash the tour cash cow?

And, while I understand your point, my point was concerning on-course action and respect for the game on-course. These actions are visible enough without asking his fellow pros' opinions about him.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
bd:

Your story about Devin was priceless. Tiger would fail the First Tee rules of conduct...Love it.

And I really agree with Farquod. I don't think Tiger is coasting...I think he is exerting a tremendous amount of effort and sincerely wants to win 20 majors.

The swing changes and the departure from Harmon were clearly a mistake but he is still making a huge amount of effort.

There was another article in the morning paper about comments made by Hank Johnson - the head pro at Greystone CC and a senior member of the Golf Digest Instructional Staff.

He reiterated once again that, "Tiger ain't back". He is not as good as before the swing changes. While that is easy for we "laypeople" to say - these comments coming from a respected swing guru are telling.

Too bad for Tiger he had some terribly bad judgement in making the changes. Maybe it was arrogance or just a brainfart. I don't know...and the steroids post was pure speculation for the fun of discussing here.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Legrandfromage said:
Steroids? I don't think so, why would he think to benefit? I believe his advancing age, marriage, good chow, no worries about sex, big boat, lots of travel, lucrative endorsements, Tiger has discovered the 'American Way' of life.

No worries about Sex??? Obviously you can't be married :)

I can't think of anything else that I worry about more.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo,

For what it's worth, this is a great topic to debate. It's big in the media, and Tiger is a big name that seems to have a "Love him or hate him" feel about it all.

I like seeing threads with multiple angles, coming from everywhere, even left field. You know you've hit the nail on the head and opened a can of worms.

This is why these forums exist.

Thumbs up.

R35

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
First, the choice of word should be carefully chosen. A theory is a hypothesis that has been proven and holds true to tests.
So this isn't a theory, it's merely a hypothesis.
Bravo, I don't want to tick you off, but words not used in their correct manner can result in miscommunication and misunderstanding, as this thread demonstrates. :)

Second, Tiger's swing changes isn't finished, but he was the leader in GIR. What let him down was the putting and the short game. AFAIK, swing and short game are completely different. Back in his domination days, his short game was nothing short of excellent.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
OK - change the title of the thread to "Interesting Tiger Hypothesis". Semantically correct now!

So what do you think? And once again Loop - this is not about performance. This has been mentioned a couple of times in the thread. It is about behavior and body build.

Do you think there is any plausability that Tiger Woods could be using steroids?

Mar 28, 2005
I personally do not think Tiger is on steroids. He works out early every morning. TGC was interviewing him at a clinic. He left a tourney flew to the clinic 5:00 in the gym breakfast, practice, clinic. I have a buddy who works out every day never touched anything to bulk up not even powder drinks. He was a scrawny 6'3 170, now he's 205. I would say Tiger is about 205-210 max. That 29" waist is BS, 32" at the smallest.
I do have to say Tiger has become a little bit of a "Drama Queen". If he hits a bad shot out of the bunker, he is picking sand out of his eyes like he got the whole bunker in them. The shirt thing at the Open was so annoying to watch. He was on the practice tee adjusting, if the shirt is bad change. It seemed like the perfect excuse just incase you blow it on the first tee. He hit it bad, straight to the shirt adjustments.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
That shirt is a good example of his size. The dude is huge. I think back to the putt off the green he made on 17 at Sawgrass all those years ago to seal the US Amateur (lovely hat and shorts combo too...) and I can't believe it's the same person.

the Anomaly

fairways & greens
Jun 17, 2005
Personally, I think the "Tiger Theory" is B.S. In '99 Tiger was 23 years old, SIX years ago. With the best trainers, strict diet, and work ethic Tiger has it's not far fetched that he could NATURALLY add all of that bulk. Another factor I look at is his dad, Earl isn't a small man. You had to know Tiger would eventually fill out.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Having a pair of tits isn't damning proof he is on drugs,neither is petulence.On the other hand wearing a pink shirt certainly is.Ban him!

🔥 Latest posts