• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Internet service provider...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Who do most of you use for your home internet service? We were with AT&T for years for both land line and internet. Had terrible customer service issues so changed, about 5 years ago, to our cable provider. We have cable tv, internet, and land line through them. Each month, the cost seems to go up. Direct TV has some awesome deals on television service. It sounds like they package, in our area, with AT&T for internet and land line. We don't want to go back to AT&T. So, is there a low cost internet provider out there that serves basic needs... and is reliable? We just have the two of us, do no gaming on the web, and use the 'net for e-mail and some discussion boards.
Any suggestions?

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Seriously look at the way these new smartphones work. Its all wireless. Replaces the housephone also. I say that because the att service is usually slower and mobile internet may be an improvement.

It will change your boxes in the house. The cable box for example changes to somethin that connects to your phone.

I have cable. 30 meg. Its fast enough to do anything i want. I have it at work also.

I cant imagine DH or Tea or some of these supergeeks arent all over it.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I have DirecTV bundled with Frontier wireless internet for the house. I don't even have a land line.

And DFH is way more supergeeky than I am.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
When we bought our house we started with dish network for TV and our local phone company for Internet. We went to direc tv after and stayed with our local phone company for Internet. Direc tv was ok for the first year but them the price started going up. Now we have comcast for cable and internet.

If I did anything I would go back to dish network. Their DVR service, IMO, is better than direct tv. Comcast is on most lists for worst customer service but we have had good luck with them-no issues.

The fact is that once you sign up they are all about the same after the first year. I really like comcast though because we didn't need to sign a 2 yr contract like we did with dish or direc tv.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Seriously those new tvs that are wireless are gonna change it all. I think Comcast is the one that signed with discovery channel ( they have history chan and military chan etc) for internet broadcasting. This means i could do business with comcast even though they arent in my area.

They know it too. Time warner i think is putting itself up for sale according to yesterdays WSJ. The less cable companies there are the better for the day its all internet. The chans will then soon not need a cable provider either.

My phone can provide the feed and be the remote for those new samsung tvs.

Last edited:

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
We use Cox Communications for internet and cable. They're OK, but I'm been thinking about cutting the cable cord lately.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
We use Cox Communications for internet and cable. They're OK, but I'm been thinking about cutting the cable cord lately.
Yep! We have Cox here. Have had excellent service from Cox. One issue a couple of years ago. They had a service person to the house within hours. He spent lots of time changing out cable ends, etc., changed out our router and cable box... no questions asked. No problems since... EXCEPT the cost continues to spiral out of control.
Had dinner, last night, with another couple. They have Cox and are paying 70% of what we are for more channels. He and I compared bills. We're getting gigged on our internet service cost. Taking a smaller hit on our cable, compared to his. I'm going to call Cox today and see if they will work with us. If not, I'll begin shopping around.

🔥 Latest posts