• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Introductory Post (The Addiction)

Lamma

May 23, 2005
Hello, I'm new here so I just wanted to say "Hello".

I've been swinging golf clubs at golf balls for 7 out of the last 9 years. I say that because only once have I ever manage to break 90. Normally, I'm in the deadly fever range, around 107-110. So for me to say that I've been "playing golf" belies the sad state of affairs that is my "game".

Anyway, to the title of the post-at least the part about "The Addiction"...

Two years ago I quit the game for good. I'd taken lessons from the most reputable pros in my area and even tried Natural Golf for over a year. That's an interesting story in itself but I don't want to slow down the entire internet by posting a 10,000 word essay on the follies of letting an instructor talk one in to playing right handed when one is already a struggling lefty.

Back to the point: After 5 years of unrewarding struggle, I sold my right handed Adams irons and no name right handed woods and got me a new set of no name irons and woods that are left handed. I figured, that I couldn't totally quit due to the nature of my job, so if I had to play bad golf, I should at least be physically comfortable doing so.
But in private I told the wife, "I give up. I've never put so much time and effort into something and gotten so little out of it." See, I'm in outside sales so I can practice every day if want. And I did.

I was the kind of nut who would get to the course at first light and sneak in a round before going to work and then set up a golf game with clients for later in the week. I was the guy who would play 36 holes in a day and sometimes more. I was swinging clubs 6 days a week.

I bought book after book in the hopes of improving my game and I still have them all. It was Dave Pelz' "Short Game Bible" that finally killed me. I tried do what he said to do in the book and everything fell apart and there was no recovery. So I quit. Once and for all I was done...

That is until I absolutely had to take some clients golfing. This was about a year and a half ago. I hadn't picked up a club in 6 months. But I didn't care, I like these particular guys and they're always fun to hang with. So I arrived at the course about 3 minutes before teeing off. It's not like warming up was going to do anything for me.

The first tee I pull my three wood out of the bag and hit a wonderful shot, about 260 yards right down the middle. But I know golf for the cruel game it is and surely the next shot to the green 230 yards away would some kind of top, slice, pull, push, or flat out miss. So I grabbed my five wood and hit the green dead center. Two putts later, I had a birdie. All day long it went well and at the end of the day, I'd finished with an 86. Throw in the fact that I'd missed 5 putts inside 6 feet and it was easily the best day of golf I ever played.

"This is it!" I thought. In the past I had worked too hard and worried too much. I just had to relax and not fret over every shot. Just swing the club with good tempo and the rest will take care of itself. I was back in the game! So three days later, armed with my new confidence and casual attitude I hit a local muni course that's wide open and overall pretty straight. It's much easier course than the desert style Hidden Valley that I had shot my 86 on three days prior. So this is what it's like to shoot decent golf I thought. So I went to the local muni and shot over 120. I don't remember the exact score because I stopped counting at the 16th hole.

So I quit again. Over the course of the next year and a half I only played twice, both regrettable affairs. And I only played because of industry pressures.

But two weeks ago, I got a call from one of our manufacturer's reps and he was putting together two foursomes to play at a private country club. Everything was going to be on his company, even drinks. I hadn't been out in a while so agreed to play.
So I reluctantly went to the range to see just how much I was going to embarrass myself the following week in front of colleagues. The first couple of balls were predictably shaky. But then I hit a groove. My pitching wedge shots travelled in beautiful high arcs 130 yards down range. My long irons soared through air with wonderful looking fade on the end. My woods and driver were monster shots. But I knew better. This was just a feak occurence. Surely the game would make me pay for reshooting the equivalent of sports heroin. But no, four more trip to the range produced the same wonderful looking shots.

On Friday, the first game I had played in 9 months produced a variety of shanks, tops, chili dips, and one particular slice that was so glorious in it's sheer ugliness that it was beautiful. It traveled about 30 yards forward and well over 200 to the left. What was my score? I don't know. I would have added it up at the end but I left my abbacus in the car.

But I'm addicted again. I've already been on the Golf Smith website in order to see how much a new set of Callaway irons will cost me. Or maybe I'll go Cleveland or Ping. Why wouldn't a pathetic hacker like myself need a new set of clubs? And why would I continue to play a game that seems to take such delight in punishing the very best of my efforts? It's because I'm addicted. I never stopped loving the game, I was just mad at it. And now I've come to terms with the fact that I'm an insane masochist.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I'm sure most of here can find some part of your story to relate to. It seems lately that I quit the game at 2 or 3 times a round only to get sucked back in by a good shot.

Welcome to the asylum......err forum. :)

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Hey, great story.

I'd make two suggestions:

1. club ho'ing - Yes, you can buy a golf game. It also keeps you always hoping that the next driver will solve all your golf problems and in addition will make you attractive to the glorious, full chested beer cart girl.

2. Alcohol abuse - 18 holes, 18 shots in a bottle. 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence ? I think not!

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Good God man you must love it...don't we all.

glad you are here...we talk about all kinds of stuff besides golf.

Where do you play most often?

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Welcome to alcoholics anonymous Lamma.
What an epic story you've just told. Are you here to cure your addiction? :)

OP
L

Lamma

May 23, 2005
Bravo said:
Good God man you must love it...don't we all.

glad you are here...we talk about all kinds of stuff besides golf.

Where do you play most often?

I have to admit that as much pain as my total lack of golfing ability has caused me, I do love the game.

As far as where I play the most, I really enjoy Hidden Valley in Norco, Ca, Oak Quarry in Riverside, Eagle Glenn in Corona, and Empire Lakes in Ontario. I'm moving back to Riverside in a month so I'll be close to the General Old golf course, which by the way is a decent enough track if you get a very early start. But if you go on a Saturday or Sunday after 8:00 in the morning you may very well be stuck with a six hour round.

OP
L

Lamma

May 23, 2005
Loop said:
Welcome to alcoholics anonymous Lamma.
What an epic story you've just told. Are you here to cure your addiction? :)

I'm not an alcohlic... I don't go to the meetings... Unless they're at whatever bar I'm drinking beer and losing at Goldentee to one of those guys who can shoot -18 on the video game but are even worse than me at actual golf.

And no, I'm not here to cure my addiction. I'm here to embrace it and to simply have fun at being a terrible golfer. Every round I do hit a few great shots, say 5 or 6, but that means that the odds of me making a great shot on any given attempt is around 15-1. Once one can embrace odds like that, there has to relieved surrendering. My goal was once to shoot in low to mid 80's consistently. Now, it's just to have a good time.

By the way, if at any time anyone sees me asking for tips, please ban me forever. I've gone through 5 solid golf pros who I actually believe wanted to tie 20 of those heavy warm-up clubs to their feet and jump in the deepest water hazard on the course when they saw me coming. So no one who can't actually see the horror that is my swing can't possibly help me.

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes. It's good to be here.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
You're right Lamma, having fun and a good time is what unites us here. One good shot is all what is needed to make us come back.
BTW, you've answered correctly to my addiction question, or else we would have pin you on the target board :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.