• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

iPhone - How is it?

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Okay iPhone users, level with me here...

How is it really?

I've gone through all the websites with reasons not to buy and was wondering how inconvenient it is to not be able to:
* Send MMS (Picture messaging) - Can do it via email but thats pretty much only useful if the person you're sending it to has a BB, or a Treo. No good to me, none of my mates have these.

* No third party apps - So by what I've read you can only install apps from the iPhone store. So this would incude no flash games aswell? Pretty inconvenient if you ask me, but if thats what is needed for system stability then so be it I suppose.

* Itunes to sync - I HATE iTunes.... WITH.....A.....PASSION! Wont be needing to sync anything business related (contacts, calendar etc.) as thats not what I'll be using it for but just the fact that Itunes has to be used to load music. BAH!

* 2MP camera withno zoom and no flash - What is that about? The Nokia's are coming out with 5MP plus these days and Apple can't do a flash. Not a biggie but I like a little recent technology in my gadgets and figured a decent camera with zoom and flash wouldn't be hard.

* The battery ordeal - Can't replace the battery if it dies without sending it to Apple. WTF?

* Limited bluetooth - Can you even connect this thing to your computer?

Also as an aside, does anyone know of any plans by Apple to launch a 2nd generation iPhone which combats most of these problems?
Thanks guys
LH

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Well then you just talked yourself out of it haven't you?

All the things you mention are correct except the app thing.
All of the apps are third party. They are all built using the same SDK though.

I would like the MMS thing to work but it's not an issue for me.

Overall, I love it.

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Well then you just talked yourself out of it haven't you?

All the things you mention are correct except the app thing.
All of the apps are third party. They are all built using the same SDK though.

I would like the MMS thing to work but it's not an issue for me.

Overall, I love it.

Well I have tried to talk myself out of it, and yet curiosity is still getting the better of me. Most of the things I COULD probably live without. Bluetooth is the biggie for me though. Can you connect to a computer or another mobile / cell with bluetooth or is it no go?

No doubt I will end up with one but just don't wanna shoot myself in the foot too badly if I do go ahead.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I don't use blue tooth at all so I can't answer that.
Also, this is Apple we're talking about here so I suspect these things will be addressed in future releases.

Unlike Microsoft which keeps issuing the same dreck with a new name.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
My wife has an iPhone and loves it. I didn't think she would use all of its features when we bought it but she does. There are some really cool apps to, google earth is pretty neat-not all that usefull just cool. The nice thing about the iPhone though is that its a phone with all the cool feature AND an iPod.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
My oldest son has a new one and loves it. I'll ask him about the bluetooth issue.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
My wife got one that had the bad battery issue. It wouldn't hold a charge at all and it was really a hassle dealing with them on it. She finally said screw it and gave it back and got something else. The phone itself.....I didn't like it at all for how much it cost.....I am sure you get used to it but neither of us really cared for it.

Jason

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Lefty,

I just picked up an iphone a week ago. You sync the phone to your computer with a USB connection. The phone has a blue tooth capability but it appears not for communicating with the computer. You just use the same old USB ipod type of cord connection.

My car is blue tooth compatible so I use my phone hands-free whilst driving with the sound coming through the in car speakers.

Hope that helps.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I have the Samsung Instinct... which is just Sprint's version of the i-phone. It's neat and powerfull.. but eh, the new wears off of it. Now I think I'd rather just have a small phone.

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Thanks for all the responses everyone, appreciate it.

Mddubya - If you do find that out it would be great. Just to see if you can bluetooth connect to another cell phone and/or a standard PC. I like to share files this way with my friends.

True - Awesome, how you liking it so far? Feel free not to answer anything personal here but you go plan or buy outright. Which provider are you with? Are MB included in your package etc? Do you get 3G coverage where you are? etc.

The Apps are obviously my main drawing point to the phone (as well as the iPod capability). Some of them look amazing.

And as for Microsoft, don't get me started. I'll always run Windows just out of complacency and laziness to learn a new OS but everything else I try to get Open Source just so I don't have to put up with Microsoft's :horse:.

So is there any rumours in the states of a 2nd generation iPhone being released? Anything? Anyone?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
It would be third generation.

I have the 2nd one (3g).

I have heard nothing but I also pay no attention.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
only good thing about iphone to me is apps that will help me w/ schooling (like anatomy, med terminology, etc) and be able to get wifi w/o 3g network.

w/ my current phone, i get 3g network on my phone, 3.2mp camera, slow motion video at 120fps, all the basics. i do get stuck at work w/o 3g network, but i also have computer.. so iphone... while a good phone, not worth all the hype.. especially itune. mine's pretty bad, but itune's even worse. i'll carry extra mp3 player instead.. zune comes to mind...

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I don't use blue tooth at all so I can't answer that.
Also, this is Apple we're talking about here so I suspect these things will be addressed in future releases.

Unlike Microsoft which keeps issuing the same dreck with a new name.

Copy and Paste? The most simplest process ever, everybody wants it, yet Apple hasn't given the iPhone this option.

I'd get the iPhone if the bill wasn't $83 a month. I'm still considering it, but that's a lot of coin. I can just buy a normal phone and an iPod touch.

And they're due to release a 32gb iPhone soon. It's been 246 days since they've updated the iPhone and it's usually only 126. So you know they're waiting on something to come out.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Ok Lefty, my son says the bluetooth works great. He practically lives with his ear bud in, lol. He did say you have to use the supplied cable to sync it with your computer though. His radio in his car isn't bluetooth capable so I can't help you there. But his phone will connect with my Blackberry via bluetooth because we have shard some ring tones that way if I recall correctly?

And he has tons of songs on his phone and listens to them all the time when he is working out. Said it sounds great.

Also, he has been using his phone to surf the web and buy and sell stuff on ebay till his laptop comes in so that part of it works great too.

And I've seen and played some of the games he has on it and I have to admit, they are pretty neat. If my Blackberry wasn't so new I'd most likely get one myself.

🔥 Latest posts