• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

IRELAND - Southwest trip

clydesdalecm

Sep 6, 2008
For those going to Ireland, I am a 5 HC and just wanted to provide a non-based ranking to the 7+ courses I played over the pond.

1. Lahinch
2. Waterville
3. Doonbeg
4. Ballybunion
5. Killarney Golf & Fishing Club
6. Dromoland Castle course
7. local parkland course near Ennis
8. Tralee

Lahinch - You know you in for a challenge when your caddy says "Old Tom Morris built this course" and proceeds to take your lob wedge out of your bag, throws it to the side and says, "we'll pick it up on the way in, you won't be needing this"...for me, Lahinch was exactly what an Irish golf trip was all about. The sun was shining. The wind was blowing (20MPH, which was considered to be "calm). There are beautiful water views on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 16, 17, 18. We saw goats on the course. The track was beautifully maintained. If you mishit a shot by a little you really weren't penalized too much, miss it by a lot & you are in 8" of rough. There are two completely blind tee shots (one on a Par 3, the other on a Par 5 approach). Plus, the food after the round was excellent. Service, golf, scenery, everything for me = A+.

Waterville - So there is a helipad right next to the clubhouse. The caddy says, "That is where Tiger lands his chopper when he is warming up for the British". Any track where Tiger "warms up" is good enough for me! Like Lahinch, many beautiful ocean views. Very difficult but fair test of golf. I particularly appreciated that 16, 17 & 18 (all on the water) are forgiving holes that rewarded good shots & were holes you could make birdies on coming in. Eat dinner at the inn about 1/2 mile down the road when leaving the golf course. I shot my best round of the week here (81). One of the best days of my life.

Doonbeg - the toughest test BY FAR (I shot 90 here). But spectacular clubhouse, range & course. A true test of golf, but for me a bit TOO PENAL at times. 30+MPH winds plus high rough in places where approach shots can bounce into made this a tough day. I believe it was the 14th? hole, Par 3, 105 yards. Looks & feels just like #7 at Pebble. Awesome hole. My highlight was on the 1st tee. I had never played with a caddy & this was my second round in Ireland. Par 5 straightway, and I pound a 300+ yarder downwind and the caddy simply says, "Brilliant shot". I for one have an extra spring in my step when ANYONE says brilliant shot to you!

Ballybunion - Over-rated is an appropriate word for what they charge you. Plus I'm a republican and there are pictures of Clinton everywhere...lol. But really...this IS a great track, but there are definitely better values for your money at the 3 above listed courses. With that said, I had an experience I may never have again. We were a threesome, and the starter says, "we have a single that will be joining you." Great. So this 88 year old gentlemen rolls up wearing plus fours, had a leather (old) golf bag, blade irons, I swear he had a hickory shafted driver...the whole deal. While we wait to play, he says to us, "I'm from New Zealand, and I've played this course once a year for the past 50 years. I'm getting too old to play the whole thing so I'm only going to play #1, #2, #17, & #18." I think this is very cool, figure he'll slap around 10 shots a hole & be on his way. I swear to God he nutted a drive down the middle, made par on 1 and bogey on 2. The nicest swing I've ever seen. It was like someone dropped him from the sky & said to us, "This is the way you act, look & play on a golf course boys, now have a nice round & I hope you learned something today."

I did.

KILLARNEY G&F CLUB: This is private so you need a local to help you out. We were staying at the Agadoe Heights Resort & Spa & it just so happened that the conceirge was a member there. He got us out on 1 of the (2 or 3) championship courses where they've held Irish opens, etc. Great track with beautiful lake views all day.

DROMOLAND CASTLE COURSE - Very nice parkland track & seeing the castle is something you should do if you're flying in/out of Shannon airport. VERY WELL maintained. Some dramatic holes & a fun/easier course vs. some of the very difficult tests listed above.

"Unnamed OFF THE BEATEN PATH COURSE" - We stayed at in Inn in a town called Ennis. They pointed us to their "local muni" is you will, a local parkland course. Green fee was $13USD. WHAT A GREAT IDEA THIS WAS! The course was GREAT! I mean I would have paid $70+ in the states to play here. If you're making the journey to Ireland and have an early or late time booked at a premium course, do yourself a favor & play 36 and go off the beaten path!

TRALEE - Unfortunately, someone has to come in last place. This is an Arnie track. Nothing really wrong with it but nothing spectacular about it either. Course was nice. Food was average. Caddy was average. (One good thing, this is one of the few courses that lets you use a cart (ex. if you have an eldery person in your group).

That's my report...one thing I can tell you. I WILL BE GOING BACK TO IRELAND. Overall great trip. People are great. Food was great. Golf was AWESOME! :)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
1st off, welcome to Shot Talk!

Great reviews, thanks for posting it. I'm not sure if I'll get over there to play, I definitely want to, but if I do, at least I'll know where to go.

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
First off I can't imaging your caddie called The Open Championship "the British", that is if he was a Euro! That out of the way, you missed a peach at Dooks. Waterville was a little too Americanized with all of the Cart paths for my
liking... Ballybunion is my second favorite course on the planet, only surpassed by Ekwanok in VT... When we were there in October the weather was perfect..Can't wait to go back!!.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.