• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irish(es) tell us about this course...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
The K Club

This is a prestigious set-up about 20 miles outside Dublin. The K Club has played host to several tournamants, including the European Open. I have walked round it a few times, but one of the few in that area I never got to play when I lived in Dublin. Green Fees are beyond reasonable (€250 ish). I'm sure Dave will have the low down. It is very much a park-land set up to it, there are two courses, North and South, both Arnie designed. The newer course, the southern one has been purpose built for the Ryder Cup. I belive it has more of a "link style" to it. They have built this course in the last 3 years or so. The players seem to like it.

Ireland is already counting down to hosting the Ryder Cup. Crowds are always great for tournamants and everyone and their dog will want to attend it. KPMG are sponsors so I may, if I play my cards right, get onto the invite list.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Irish has pretty much given the read on K Club. It was to all intents and purposes the first purpose built Country Club design in Ireland with the added prestige of having Michael Smurfit as its visionary, a multi-millionaire, most regard as the top business person in Ireland and is well known throughout horse racing industry.

I was fortunate enough to play there 6 years ago (freebie), the whole set-up just screams opulence. You do get an intimidatory sense, of "I shouldn't be here", it would be akin to walking up Magnolia Drive in Augusta. The course itself was immaculate, the attention to detail was absolute. The river Liffey, which flows thru Dublin, is an integral part of the design and from what I can remember comes into play on about 12 of the 18 holes. I remember the 1st as a par 5 dogleg right, with overhanging trees guarding the green, I trotted away with a bogey, the greens were lightening, you only had to think the ball to move to set it in motion.

I believe that Kileen GC which is 10 mins down the road from K Club received a sizeable donation from Mr. Smurfit, rumour has it that very little golf will be played on the South Course next year and that Kileen will accommodate the overspill. You can guarantee that this course will be pristine come 2006, tho I can't believe that you can gild a lily.

The original green fee for KClub was £125 Irish pounds when it opened, I think this was to ensure a certain patronage of the Golf and Country Club. Even the well heeled baulked at this amount, and they drew in their horns to around £70. It was during this time that I was freebied.

More recently we have the developments of Olde Head and Doonbeg once again charging premium green fees for the pleasure circa 250 euro. The K Club, (as it views itself the most prestigous of these developments) has increased their green fees accordingly as they feel befits their standing. I'd imagine that you would now shell out more than 250 euro

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
It is interesting that we live in a world of Have's and Have Nots.

The Haves are incredibly wealthy - despite a rocky world economy. For them, money is no object.

Thanks for the discussion of all these courses. Looking forward to the 2006 Ryder Cup....

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Is my impression that golf in Ireland has become the sport of only (mostly?) the financial elite wrong? or is it just that we are only speaking on here and gr about the $$$ courses? What I mean is, here in my area of the US, I have my pick of probably 10 courses for under $50 that are gorgeous, including 2 Nicklaus designs, probably tour quality, for under $30 (through EZLink.com).

Are there many quality courses on the Isle for the average schmuck?

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
bdcrowe said:
Is my impression that golf in Ireland has become the sport of only (mostly?) the financial elite wrong? or is it just that we are only speaking on here and gr about the $$$ courses? What I mean is, here in my area of the US, I have my pick of probably 10 courses for under $50 that are gorgeous, including 2 Nicklaus designs, probably tour quality, for under $30 (through EZLink.com).

Are there many quality courses on the Isle for the average schmuck?

Oh yeah BD. don't get me wrong .... we still do cheap and cheery here, my own course is 35 euro and some of the older established championship courses which are fantastic in their own right wouldn't leave ya more than 80 euro out of pocket. The exclusive courses, which promote themselves as resorts or CC's, have high profile backing and design, Palmer, Nicklaus, Monty, Flado, Norman and I assume for this reason feel justified in charging these fees for a 6 mile walk. I on the other hand believe that the playing company makes the game, not the course .

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
I on the other hand believe that the playing company makes the game, not the course .
Nicely said. I'll be clenching pence togeather for a flight over with a fine lot, DI, IG...

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
bdcrowe said:
Nicely said. I'll be clenching pence togeather for a flight over with a fine lot, DI, IG...

Ya know yer all welcome . we could have a Ryder Cup event !!

USA have no probs with the 12
and on the European side emmmm .. there's Irish and me and who else ..... emmmmm, Grazo !! yer Australian.... which means yer Irish or English by the ancestry rule, and even if yer Greek, Turkish yer in !!

3 against 12 ... emm we can't even get 2 fourballs out :(

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Dave Ireland said:

and on the European side emmmm .. there's Irish and me and who else ..... emmmmm, Grazo !! yer Australian.... which means yer Irish or English by the ancestry rule, and even if yer Greek, Turkish yer in !!

That leaves 4x as many crappy shots to average in for the Yanks. Doesn't see quite fair, huh? :)

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Dave Ireland said:

BTW, can I play on the Euro team? I'm mostly Irish ancestry. The bd in my name is for Briahm Devin, if that helps... I'll watch Braveheart a couple of times before coming, brush up on the accent...? :)

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Dave Ireland said:

Couldn't you use the Canadians. They could be of French ancestory. There's Rockford and who else? "Rockford" doesn't sound very French but he is apparently quite the ladies man, no?

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
DaveE said:
Couldn't you use the Canadians. They could be of French ancestory. There's Rockford and who else? "Rockford" doesn't sound very French but he is apparently quite the ladies man, no?
Francoise? Is there a code on the Emerald aginst golfing in bicycle shorts?

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
bdcrowe said:
BTW, can I play on the Euro team? I'm mostly Irish ancestry. The bd in my name is for Briahm Devin, if that helps... I'll watch Braveheart a couple of times before coming, brush up on the accent...? :)

No no !!! yer grand BD.... . yer in the team, but please no "oirish" accent, we'll just explain that you've been out of the country for a while....

he he he ... just thought of something .... ya can do an irish accent, only if it's a Northern Ireland one, (like Gerry Adams), Irishgolfer will love it, but it's our secret . no tellin him and ruining da surprise :D

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
DaveE said:

LOL..... mai oui DaveE , un romanceur n'est ce pas ??, but then again can we trust him to lay off da other golfer's missus' ....... ya only haveta look at Montgomerie for a tale of woe on that account ;)

He can high tail it back to Nunuvet or wherever and hide out afterwards, but who will have to pick up the pieces when he's gone ?? . huh ? huh ? . I'll tell ya ... Irishgolfer ;)

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
bdcrowe said:
Francoise? Is there a code on the Emerald aginst golfing in bicycle shorts?

Tailored bicycle shorts ?? .... and as you've no pockets in the lycra. everyone can see yer balls.......we're not talking Prov's

🔥 Latest posts