• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron Ball Flight

killingmesmalls

Mar 27, 2020
Country
United States United States
Hi all,

First time poster here but have been playing for about 5 years. Overall, I think my game is pretty solid for how much I play (high single, low double handicap on the weekends). Recently I’ve been noticing something interesting about the way I hit my irons. For instance, I hit my 7 about 150 but the ball flight is hugely high. I even notice with my wedges hitting a 48 sub 100 and towering. I’m hoping to get more distance in exchange for some of the height I put on the ball. If anyone has had a similar problem or some advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Well, let's see. You didn't mention graphite so I'm going to assume the shafts are True Temper SL 85 shafts. The heads are considered super game improvement which generally means more weight low in the sole to help get the ball up and the shafts are light weight and designed to also help get the ball up. If you're better than bogey I think I can assume that you hit your irons fairly decent. What I mean by that is on a decent angle of decent around the center of the face. With that being said and without seeing your swing my guess is the shafts are the wrong fit for your swing. Sounds like you would benefit with a high kick point shaft like the True Temper Dynamic Gold line, etc.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
As Greg said, the D200 is a game improvement iron with a hugemongous sole. It is designed to get the ball elevated and, for you, evidently does. Also, did you change shafts in these? The standard OEM shaft for the D200's is a True Temper Uniflex. Those are supposed to be a "one size fits all" shaft. A high swing speed will could well see a high ball flight with those shafts.
Personally, I would be happy with 150 yards from my 7-iron. Of course, at 73 years old, I don't have the distance desires of the young flat-bellies. IMHO, the secret with irons isn't distance. It's consistency! If you can consistently get a certain distance from a certain iron... you will score much better than just seeing how far you can hit it.
Good luck! Hope you work it out so you can enjoy this great game of golf!!!!

🔥 Latest posts