• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron Discussion Followup.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
This is actually a followup to a thread from our old new site. I kinda threadjacked one of Rockfords to get some advice on offset as well as graphite vs. steel shafts. Anyways, Mizuno was the last on my list and I had a chance to try them on Saturday. I am now the proud owner of a set of MX-23 irons with S300 shafts. Forgiving forged, quite a concept. I tried the MP-30s but they were just too small for me. At 6' 180 it turns out I'm off the rack so I could go home with my new clubs.

I got to play my first round with them yesterday it was great. I had low expectations since it was my first round but I was hitting some of the best iron shots of my life. Two birdies on the back nine, both after good iron shots.

Ok, so here is how a golf forum can help your game. Over time I've taken all of your comments that I've read about offset and shafts and then researched it myself. Then I tried many of the clubs suggested and came to my own conclusion. If I hadn't been a member of this and the other forum (GR) I don't think I would have had the confidence to try stiff steel shafts or forged. It turns out they work for me in terms of accuracy and distance. Between the shafts and the reduced offset I can now take aim AT THE TARGET without fear of going left.

Thanks again to all for sharing you're knowledge. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Dave,

Good to hear, especially about the results!

I think you've gone about this the constructive way. You did the research, got some opinions and tried out each set that you narrowed down. I think the key peice of the puzzle is the latter. Trying clubs is really the only way you can really tell what works and doesn't work for you. The smaller Mizuno's is a perfect example of this.
Another aspect that is looked over alot is the shaft. It can single handedly change the aspect of the club in your hands. I play S300's as well and love them. But, all my playing partners find them too stiff for their liking, and prefer a regular shaft. Just another simple thing that can make or break your decisions.
It really irks me when i go to demo a club and they dont have the setup for my game. A couple shops here only carry one or two of the drivers and expect people to place orders for custom clubs. How can someone assume that a driver will be great based off hitting one that isn't designed for their game? That is garbage.

Hit the clubs. If you like the feel and the results are positive, buy them. It's as simple as that.

Good work Dave, let us know how the clubs work out in the coming weeks, good or bad! :D

R35

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i hear you, we have to be careful on our purchases, it makes changing clubs all the more stressful

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
rockford35 said:
Dave,

Good to hear, especially about the results!

I think you've gone about this the constructive way. You did the research, got some opinions and tried out each set that you narrowed down. I think the key peice of the puzzle is the latter. Trying clubs is really the only way you can really tell what works and doesn't work for you. The smaller Mizuno's is a perfect example of this.
Another aspect that is looked over alot is the shaft. It can single handedly change the aspect of the club in your hands. I play S300's as well and love them. But, all my playing partners find them too stiff for their liking, and prefer a regular shaft. Just another simple thing that can make or break your decisions.
It really irks me when i go to demo a club and they dont have the setup for my game. A couple shops here only carry one or two of the drivers and expect people to place orders for custom clubs. How can someone assume that a driver will be great based off hitting one that isn't designed for their game? That is garbage.

Hit the clubs. If you like the feel and the results are positive, buy them. It's as simple as that.

Good work Dave, let us know how the clubs work out in the coming weeks, good or bad! :D

R35

Rock:

Are the S300's a Sensicore shafts that reduce vibrations?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yes, they are. Sensicore's are available in X100 (X-stiff), R300 (regular) and S300 (stiff). You can get them for irons and woods, specifically.

It does make a huge difference tho. It doesn't help with feel and control as much as it does on feedback for poorer hit shots. Sure feels nice. :D

R35

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
Dave,

R35

I will let you know, good or bad. Or should I say good and bad. At the moment I'm kinda like a kid with a new toy so it's all good. :D

🔥 Latest posts