• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron Flex

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
What is a good indication of what flex you should be playing in your irons. I’m thinking of getting some DG S300 or maybe the R300. My driver swing speed is about 108-110 and I have never checked my swing speed with irons. I’m playing the taylormade T-steps in stiff flex right now and they are a light shaft 90 grams and the DG’s are heavier like in the 120gram range. I was just wondering since the DG’s are heavier should I look at the R300 instead of the S300. What do you think?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
if you're around 108-110 with the driver, and your swing with irons is similar, I'd say your probably in the stiff range

shaft flex isn't as important with irons because of the length, the steel just doesn't flex "that much" (compared to graphite in a driver)

if you're hitting an 8 iron from 150yds, go stiff, if you're hitting a 5 iron, go regular - if you're hitting a 6 or 7 you're kinda in the middle - take your pick slightly better feel and distance or slightly better control

if you have your taper tip irons bored out to .370, you can get Reg Flex shafts and have them tipped to play in the middle of R and S - firm flex

good luck

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
My 150 club is either an 8 or a 9 iron in calm conditions.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
that makes it easy - you'll need stiff flex

try to demo a few different shafts - I had a test club built with DG SL but will be ordering the set with dynalites because I like the feel of the softer tip - for my game, if I want to hit the ball lower, I'll drop a club and swing easy, but on most of my shots, I want that soft/flushed feeling I get more often with the soft tips

If you've liked the T-steps, (which I think I remember Tmag calling higher launch) but want more weight, the dynalite golds or rifle flighted might be the right shafts for you

JasonM

May 27, 2007
That swing speed is defenitly stiff, I'd go lightweight as well...either something like S300 superlight or GS75 S200.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Gunning,

I'm putting X-100's into my irons. I have played S300's forever, hitting my 8 iron the requested 150 yards. Now I feel that with a shorter swing, my shaft needs to recover in less time. I have tried the X-100's in my 52* and 56* and like it.

If you don't get your 5 or your 7-iron to parallel, you might want to consider some DG X-100's. Or 6.5's if you want RP's.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Thanks for all the input guys. I never paid much attention over the years to my irons shafts and I don’t know much about how the different shafts compare. From what I have read about project X shafts is they are low launch and too expensive for me at this time. I have had DG in my Cleveland’s and they felt good. I don’t know much about the rifle flighted shafts and what do the numbers like 6.0 mean. I guess overall I want to bring my ball flight down a bit and I want a heavier shaft then my 90g T-Steps to increase the swing weight from a D2 to around D4 D5 at the most. Are they any other shafts out there I should look at I don’t want to spend much over 100$ for the shafts and epoxy I’m going to try it myself.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Wanna buy some 300's with 6.0's? :) I'll sell them for cheap. lol.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
WTF, I thought you liked the 300’s, two days ago you were contemplating trading your Miura’s. How did you like the shafts I kind of leaning that way after reading up on the flighted 6.0.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
WTF, I thought you liked the 300’s, two days ago you were contemplating trading your Miura’s. How did you like the shafts I kind of leaning that way after reading up on the flighted 6.0.

No way I'm selling the Miura's. I had a moment of weakness, thank goodness I didn't go through with it... Anyway, the Rifles are stiff, stiffer than the NS 1050's for sure and probably stiffer than S300's as well. Ballflight is fairly low, which I liked and accurate as well. Taking into consideration that they faded for me and were a bit shorter than my Miura's leads me to believe they are a bit stout for my liking in the irons.

If you are interested in the set just PM me. Play the 300's or pull the shafts.

🔥 Latest posts