• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron Opinions Needed

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I have been playing Ping S59 irons with the Nippon shafts and absolutely love them. Problem is I'm playing so much I'm wearing them out! I had bought them used to start with but next year I want a new set of somethings yet to be determined. If I can get them with the Nippon shafts that would be even better. I'm leaning toward the following. I DO NOT like the NASCAR look of the new CB irons so don't even suggest those (TM, etc). I want a nice clean looking iron similar in performance (and offset) to the S59's. Here's my list. Please comment and give me a hand. Thanks.

Mizuno (MP series only but which one?)
NOT any Pings that start with a "G" or any letter other then "S" as S58 or S56
Wilson ? (Some love the new ones)
Something else?

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
How about Nakashima? I hit some at a fitting session and they are very good irons - you can get them with the Nippons and a some custom options here Nakashima NP2 Forged Irons, Nakashima Irons

Mizuno MPs....well you can mix them up suit you, 4-5 irons perhaps a little more forgiving and 6-PW in something like the 53 or 63 perhaps? Prices at Golfsmith are similar to the Naks I see but I'm not that familiar with what a set of irons would cost in the US and don't know what kind of extra charge there would be for the shafts if you wanted the Nippons.

How about Adams Pro Black CB2 Iron Set 4-GW with Steel Shafts at Golfsmith.com ? Rave reviews when they were launched and perhaps a set you had forgotten about as an option?

The irons I play are sweet but I was armed with a redundancy cheque and would usually be out of my price range. If they aren't out of yours they are worth a look.

Good luck in your search - it's always fun trying out different sets.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I've never seen a set of Pings "worn out". Their heat-treated 17-4 Stainless has been almost indestructable. (I guess when and old man hits them 120 times/round and plays 7 rounds/week...... :>)) One option would be to send them to Ping, this winter, and have them refurbished. For little cost, Ping does a good job of refurbishing and they will come back looking like new.

If I were looking, today, I would definitely consider the S56. That club has rec'd excellent reviews. The Mizzy's are nice, but forged. If you are wearing out Pings, Mizzy irons will be gone in half the time. SIL ended up with a set of MP32's I used to own. He has pretty well worn the grooved clear off the short irons. A couple guys at our club have ordered K15 Pings. Those are not as "gaudy" as the G series and set up pretty well.

You have really enjoyed your Nippon shafts. Ping is one of the few OEM's where you can order specific shafts and get the clubs within days. Ordering a set of S56 or K15 irons with your Nippons from PingWRX would be another option.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Why not buy another set of S59's and go with what works? If you can't get them with Nippons, swap out the shafts and sell your old set for a few bucks to offset the swap charge.

R35

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Warbird,
You like Pings, so why screw around? I don't know what kind of money you want to invest in these, but owning a set of the new Ping Anser Forged irons that I had fitted with the Nippon shafts, 1.3 degrees upright and 3/4 inch longer are terrific.
I believe you can find some used sets on Ebay. Well worth it. I had played a set of Ping BeCu ISI's since 1996 before changing to the Ansers late last year. Very clean, nice set up, good feedback, the fitting produced some greater length and better trajectory than old set. Believe me you will like these sticks big time.

Here's my review of last year:
Won a small claims verdict and decided to use it to splurge on some new sticks. As many here know, I've been playing Ping ISI BeCu's since '96. Always loved them, but with age my strength, swing and the rest of it changed a bit. I looked and looked and tried and tried some more but could never find a set of irons I felt comfortable with. After much research and soul searching, I found Ping's new Anser Forged Irons. Forged in China, assembled in the US, but only sold in Japan (supposed to be released in limited quantities in the US in November or early 2011).
I got fitted professionally and sent the specs to Tourspecgolf in Japan. 3/4 inch longer than standard, Nippon lightweight steel R's, upright 1.3 degrees.
First day out, couldn't hit a shot. Wanted to kill myself or take up bowling. Went to the range with tears in my eyes to work things out...CABOOOOM! Got my swing adjusted to the new look, feel and set up and went to town. These sticks are terrific. Soft forged feel that I was used to from the BeCu's, nice classic set up at address, topside just a little thicker than the ISI's, but in no way a shovel look. It's a forged cavity back with a sort of muscle back look and feel that reflects a finesse and power energy to it. Also, none of that multi-colored, souped up design on the caddy side of the club head like the G10's and G15's...very clean and classic.
The pre-fitting was essential for the investment I made and worked out well. These are really different Ping's. The design is structured for nice feedback, that I like and the ball stops every bit as well as the old groves delivered on the ISI's. For those who don't cotton to Ping products, this model could really change your mind. In fact, I see the Japanese divisions of TaylorMade and Cobra also came out with similar forged designs.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Actually haven't wore the S59's out but need some kind of excuse to get new irons don't I? In any case I can take my time looking. I think the S59's are becoming a little out of my league as I age. I don't want the soft Mizuno's either. Our sand traps are more like "gravel" traps here and they'd be trash in one summer I think. So the newer S58's, S57's or S56 Pings are in the running. So is some of the new Wilson Staff irons.

Barkz

Aug 26, 2010
Actually haven't wore the S59's out but need some kind of excuse to get new irons don't I? In any case I can take my time looking. I think the S59's are becoming a little out of my league as I age. I don't want the soft Mizuno's either. Our sand traps are more like "gravel" traps here and they'd be trash in one summer I think. So the newer S58's, S57's or S56 Pings are in the running. So is some of the new Wilson Staff irons.

WBL I have the s56's with DG s300's in them. I think they are great club and IMO a lot better than the s57's which I have also owned. Out of the MP series I found I preferred the 62's over the newer 53's and 63's. They just felt a lot sweeter to me. If I was looking at Mizuno's I would definitely try some of the older models.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
How about MP58s? They are by far the best looking iron I've seen, and performance equals aesthetics in this case...

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
As with all equipment you should play whatever suits your eye and what you feel most comfortable with. As much as it hurts to say this (and it DOES), if you like Ping's then stick with them. But if you were to consider other options my personal preferences for you would be:
Titleist AP1
Adams Pro Black CB2
Mizuno MX 200 or 23's

Good luck with the search.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I like lefty's picks. I think the Adams look really good. I know one thing, if you're concerned with how well they hold up...don't buy forged. My clubs look like they're 10 years old.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
nututhugame and I have an "experiment" going. We switched irons for a few days for fun. He has the Wilson Ci9's. (I was hitting the S59's pretty good today)....

Why am I doing this? Driver is straight and long. 3-wood and hybrids are improved. Chipping is fantastic. Putting is unbelieveably good. Irons are the score wrecker lately. Shanks, left, right, short, long. Just stinko. I know it's the nut on the handle but maybe something more forgiving might help? We shall see.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Man, you're going to drive yourself crazy. Pick a set, buy them, play them, deal with it, go forward, enjoy life!!!!

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Man, you're going to drive yourself crazy. Pick a set, buy them, play them, deal with it, go forward, enjoy life!!!!

MyBluC4

That sounds too boring. I don't change irons hardly ever so have to make it drag out......

🔥 Latest posts