• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron Opinions Needed

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Here's another idea, WBL. No matter what new "toys" you find, someone else can buy some just like them. Soon as you play a couple rounds with them, they're "old". Find a pristine set of Eye 2's or Eye 2+'s. Have them reshafted to the Nippons you like. Even at our home course, I still get considerable comments about my BeCu irons. Most any good looking, old set will garner more looks than new "bling".

One of my old adages was this. When I bagged the newest and shiniest irons, if my game wasn't where it needed to be the others in the group would think "He tried to buy a better game." When I would have an old set of Pings in the bag, if it was a bad day on the course no one thought anything of it. If, with those same old clubs I shot well, others would think "He sure does handle those old irons well." Wow 'em with a set of "old friends". Don't let them laugh, under their breath, as you struggle with a bag that looks like you just dropped a grand at Dick's.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I know I switch drivers "quite frequently" but in 40 years of golfing I've had a set of (1) McGregor Muirfield muscle backs, a set of (2) Wilson staff something-or-others, a set of (3) Cleveland VAS 792's, a set of (4) Ping G5's and now my (5) S59's. That's playing them an average of 8 years each. So I don't take changing irons lightly. I must be sure. I don't like the normal (G series etc) Pings because of the fat top line and offset. I just need irons that look like players irons but are forgiving. I might be playing my S59's the rest of my life. Who knows?

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
If you like the S's, but hate the G's then why not go middle of the road and check out the I's? Seems logical and I'm thinking that that is what Ping intended them for...no?

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Tried the i15's and didn't like them (fat top line). I'm liking nututhugame's Ci9's though. I'm hitting them pretty good.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Tried the i15's and didn't like them (fat top line). I'm liking nututhugame's Ci9's though. I'm hitting them pretty good.

I could never understand that "fat or thin" top line logic. Everything else in the bag has a fat top line, what makes irons play better of worse with a fat or thin top line? Ive never seen Ci9's, if you like forged and a thinner top line then you may want to look at the adams a4's or CB2's like someone else suggested....way underated irons IMO.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I could never understand that "fat or thin" top line logic. Everything else in the bag has a fat top line, what makes irons play better of worse with a fat or thin top line? Ive never seen Ci9's, if you like forged and a thinner top line then you may want to look at the adams a4's or CB2's like someone else suggested....way underated irons IMO.

I never seemed to understand it either until I played the first set of "thinner" irons. Afterwards, everything looked like a shovel. Again, "liking" the way something looks gives confidence and I am in the "thinner iron" bus as well!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I could never understand that "fat or thin" top line logic.

+1. My first ace was with a Callawy Big Bertha '95 5-iron. Talk about a 'fat' top line! After those, I had a couple sets of the '97 Big Berthas. They worked. My son still plays his Zing 2 irons... a hand-me-down set I used to bag... which have a much thicker top line than my Eye 2+ irons. Of course, my second ace was with a Titleist 690mb 8-iron... forged and with a raxor thin top line.

It remains a mental game. You have to play what looks good to you and what you have the confidence in to get the ball to the hole.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I not only prefer a thin top line, but a clean back side and sole. This of course rules out 99.9% of the irons offered in the last 10 years or so. It also explains why I'm still playing my Srixon i-506's. I'd love something a bit more forgiving but still in the players sized head. Sooner or later I'll find something that catches my eye and actually plays better than my 506's, but until then I'll stick with them.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
I never seemed to understand it either until I played the first set of "thinner" irons. Afterwards, everything looked like a shovel. Again, "liking" the way something looks gives confidence and I am in the "thinner iron" bus as well!

I know to each his own as the saying goes, but I get confidence when I hit the ball where I'm aiming, or sink a bunch of putts, drive the ball well and in the fairway. I can't honestly say that when I look down at the club that I can even see it, all I'm thinking about is the shot and where I want the ball to end up and the shape of the shot that's gonna get it there.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I not only prefer a thin top line, but a clean back side and sole.

Are you thinking about the back and sole while you're standing over the ball at address? :p

MP 58s are the most beautiful irons I've ever seen, bar none. I don't even like practicing with them for fear of sullying their beauty. I practice with my 57s

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I think if I were in the market, the Wilson FG Tour would definitely be on the try list.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Already have. I think I've looked over every iron on the planet. Thanks for the heads up though.

The current plan is to trade nututhugame for his Ci9's (I'm hitting them well) and next year look at a set of the Wilson FG tours. I was already drooling over those before you guys posted.

BTW, demoed a set of Mizuno JPX-800 irons today. Didn't like them.

Members online

No members online now.