• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

iron out my irons

slicerdude

Feb 17, 2006
Hi guys,
My wife bought me a set of Adams idea irons, not got round to playing them yet, any body played these, its just that right now in my game i am begining to loss faith in my Nike Slingshots, do you think the Adams are good or poor choice, Mizuno G5 sound like a great set of irons, whats your thoughts.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
My thoughts- you can spend as much as you like changing gear but unless you change for a specific purpose you might as well save your money and spend it on lessons.Ask yourself what you are struggling with using the Nikes and ask a pro to sort it out,he will soon tell you if your gear is wrong for you.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I try not to do it to often, but in this case I would have to agree with Dave. Sorry Dave:)

Personally between the 3 you mentioned, and I will just assume you mean Ping with the G5, as much as I just personally dislike Nike, I may go with the Slingshots. Not that either of the other 2 are bad clubs, the features of the Nike's would just likely be more appealing to me. It seems as though you may already be looking for the next set. Personally it took me the good part of a year just to get used to switching Irons, and although after 3 1/2 years I am contemplating doing so again, more because of the aesthetics and the offset, and go to a club that will allow me to work the ball a little more, I think the thought of derailing my game when I just got it back to where I want is stopping me from doing so. To me, you have different variations of clubs in Game improvement, more of a "decent player" style club for those who have grooved their swing and now what would help and hurt based on their characteristics, and then more of the blade nature for more advanced players. I personally think unless your clubs are worn out or find something really visually distracting with the current club, any other time your money may be better spent on lessons.

Looking back I think I made a similar mistake going with the Pings i3+ irons I know own. My old ones were shelf model Wilson Tour Cast irons, which I had learned to hit pretty well and thought I would treat myself to a new set. At the time I didn't know much about the makeup of the clubs. My current ones have more offset and I do not have great deal of luck working the club and am convince it is due to the offset. The old ones were likely more club than I needed when I bought them, but I payed more attention to the cheap price than needs. By the time I stopped using them, they were likely the right club for me and I took a step backwards without knowing. One of the main reasons I started participating in golf forums, I didn't want to make that mistake again. Personally I see you making the same mistake if you go from the Nike to Ping G5, the G5 is more forgiving but if you can already hit the Slingshots, lessons may be a better option. If it is a good pro, ask him when it is time to change after you have grooved your swing and are taking even a yearly lesson. I am not saying take a lesson a week for a year, a good pro would not allow that. A single lesson or two will go a very long way. Take one, then go back when you feel you have mastered what he taught you and have other question. $50-100 in lessons will go much further than $500-900 worth of clubs if you still swing the club the same way. Even though I truly feel the irons I am now looking at will help my game, I am not sure I want to deal with the issues of new irons and feel I may be able to work around them with a couple lessons.

Another big mistake I see happening, if you do in fact go with new irons, get fitted. Until you are ready to commit to getting fitted, which for clubs like Ping is no more expensive, you are likely not ready for new clubs. They are likely actually cheaper getting fitted, because I am assuming based on the clubs you are looking at, that a 3 and possibly a 4i are not your favorite clubs, if you get fitted and order you can just order a 5i-pw and save a couple hundred bucks, although realize if you trade up clubs it is sometimes harder to move a partial set, but if the set is only worth a couple hundred bucks when you move them, then you already saved that much.

If you switch clubs alot thinking the clubs may be the problem, you may be correct in the sense that they are the problem, but only in the sense that it may take time to adapt and you are not yet used to them.

If you opt for lessons, make sure you ask him about the right clubs. Assuming the pro doesn't also sell clubs for a living, you should get some pretty valuable advice on that as well. Just take the time to check around for a good pro, and if someone tells you their pro is great, he shows me new stuff every 3 days, maybe look further for one that only wants to see you ever 2-4 weeks so you can work on the prior material. After a couple lessons you should have a pretty good understanding when the time is right to go back.

OP
slicerdude

slicerdude

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks for the advice and yes maybe i could save money, but at the moment i play nike slingshots, supposedly the most forgiving irons, but that is not 100% true and just before christmas i was chatting to the golf pro at the American golf discount store, here in freezing cold Scotland, he had mentioned that Adams idea where quite forgiving and maybe would suit my game more, since the 3-6 irons are hybrids.

My wife was with me at the time and unknown to me she went back a few days later and bought the Adams clubs for my christmas, so guys i don`t want to appear ungrateful towards her, so should i play them and see how things go?.

I have been back to the shop and had a chat with the chap, his advice was that i should play at least 10 full round of golf with the Adams irons and then judge them, but that is quite hard at the moment, since its winter in Scotland and you can`t play off the fairways, you carry a little mat with you and play off that, whilst the fairways looks like a new carpet come the start of our season, i hate hitting off the mats, so should i just wait till the new season kicks off, i personally feel that would be a big set back in my game, what do you guys think .
:sc:

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I don't know what to say because I can't get over how good your wife is to you!

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
i dont know what to say... um you could play the adams for a while, sell that set that you dont like and go get some lessons?

winders

Sep 23, 2006
slicerdude,

If you can't hit the Nike's you have, you won't be able to hit the Adams'.

If you were playing blades or other irons suited for better players, you would have a reason to blame the irons. But, with the Nike Slingshot irons, you are using quality game improvement irons now. Don't blame the clubs since they are not the reason your are not striking the ball the way you would like. Take the Adams set back and use the money to get some lessons and play more golf. That is how you are going to improve.

If you explain to your wife that you realized the problem was not the clubs and what you really need was lessons and more time playing, I am sure she would understand.

Scott

OP
slicerdude

slicerdude

Feb 17, 2006
Winders, i see by your in the bag that you also play the nike slingshots, i am not saying that i can hit them period, they`re great clubs, i nagged my wife for ages to agree to me buying them, and at the time i was ready for some game improvement irons.

I must say that they did the job i was wanting, but to what i have read, and people i have talked to, the Adams get a green light, i have hit them at the range and they are sweet, but being a nike freak, and i know this is crazy, i really prefer all my gear the same brand and thats NIKE.

I have seen the pro recently for some iron lessons and they went fine, i was using my slingshots, and i can play them, so i would be able to play the adams, but i`m not sure that i want to wait till the start of a new season and play them 10 time and find out they`re not for me, my goal this season is crack 90 hopefully.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Get the Adams if you like them (very probable) keep them and sell the Nikes , if you dont like them, sell them!

🔥 Latest posts