• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron set advice

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
These are great irons....and a STEAL at even the BIN price.

As far as the ERC driver goes, it is non-conforming and also a very hard to control head....it is not for the "accuracy challenged" player.

Hmmmmmmm, so he won't find as many fairways? :emot-ange

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
As far as the ERC driver goes, it is non-conforming and also a very hard to control head....it is not for the "accuracy challenged" player.

The ERC (all titanium model) was but are you Sure the ERC Fusion was? I thought the 1st fusions, GBB's, GBBII's had both legal and illegal models? The illegal one's were marked with a + (if I remember correctly). As for forgivness I don't recall it being hard to control when I had one, not as easy to hit as a newer model but by no means a struggle. I remember it was long but it sounded like the headcover was still on when you hit it!

How about a set of Ping Eye 2's for the younger one? a set to keep an eye on... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ping-Eye-2-Ir...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

django

Dec 8, 2008
If he is as hooked as you say, I would say go for the lessons before he is carting around a whole bag of nice sticks and bad habits, somebody with good fundamentals and crappy clubs will play better than the person with expensive clubs and no swing, it's not the arrow it's the indian.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
If he is as hooked as you say, I would say go for the lessons before he is carting around a whole bag of nice sticks and bad habits, somebody with good fundamentals and crappy clubs will play better than the person with expensive clubs and no swing, it's not the arrow it's the indian.

You Crazy Fool!!!! We don't talk people out of ho'ing golf clubs here at ShotTalk!!!! Clubs plus Lessons or just clubs I'm afraid!!!

oh and welcome to ST.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
The ERC (all titanium model) was but are you Sure the ERC Fusion was? I thought the 1st fusions, GBB's, GBBII's had both legal and illegal models? The illegal one's were marked with a + (if I remember correctly). As for forgivness I don't recall it being hard to control when I had one, not as easy to hit as a newer model but by no means a struggle. I remember it was long but it sounded like the headcover was still on when you hit it!

I dropped the ball on my answer...I wasn't even thinking of the ERC Fusion...I was thinking of the original + model.

Which as I remember were very temprimental when it came to accuracy...If memory serves me correct the Bulge and roll on those were really small.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I had the Gravity Backs. Very under-rated iron, IMO.

Also, my standard answer is "original Tommy Armour 845." A set of R300's should work fine.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
But every time he swings I cringe waiting for a head to fly off or a shaft to snap, :laugh:

The Acuity irons are actually halfway decent for being so $ cheap. The drivers & woods have major shaft issues but the irons don't.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The Acuity irons are actually halfway decent for being so $ cheap. The drivers & woods have major shaft issues but the irons don't.
+1...

My g/f hits a set of acuity's and at the range i have hit all of the clubs a time or two. The irons are quite solid for what they cost and i was pleasantly suprised. I hit the woods a few times too until i heard about the shaft issues...i doubt a 115mph swing speed is good for them...hers shouldnt hurt it though.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions and info guys.:thumbs up:

I know the best thing for him would be lessons. But like I said earlier, I also know he would never show up for half of them at best. :faintthud

Sadly the Gravity Backs are already sold, right now I'm leaning towards the Nicklaus set. Being a typical 23 year old, he would rather have new I'm sure, :laugh:

But I'm watching the Eye 2's and will look around for a set of Tommy Armour 845's Eracer.

Thanks again everyone.

abledsoe

May 31, 2008
I bought some Adams Ovation 3s back in the spring, got the full set brand new for $200 and they are great, great clubs. I was sorta in the same spot, I had a really old, really cheap set of clubs and once I had rededicated myself to golf I bought a better set. Worth every penny.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
True, mddubya knows about them though. I'll sell them to somebody.

If the set was for me, I'd most likely jump on the Power Plays. But I know my step-son, and he is one of those people that is hooked on name brands, :D

And golf being so much about confidence, he will probably do better with a brand he has heard of.

🔥 Latest posts