• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron set decision

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
Will the ping g series line be an upgrade over my current set? (Adams idea A7)
Not sure what you mean by upgrade. None of the irons on the market are "better" than any others unless you buy into the marketing bullshit. The best irons for you are the ones that fit you the best even if they are 10 years old. The PING G series have a lot more offset and thicker sole than your Adams A7 irons. If that is an upgrade to you, then yes! The Adams A7 irons are very good player's cavity in my opinion.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Adams has made some great clubs over the years. Yet, they have struggled and are now a "red-headed stepchild" of Taylor Made. I don't feel their quality is where it was when Barney had the company. Others will differ with that opinion.
Ping has simply the best customer service in the industry. Call in any serial number from a set of clubs and they will tell you when they were manufactured and where they were sent to from the factory. They will give you the original loft/lie information so you can see if they have been altered. Ping hold their resale value the best of any in the industry.
From that, you will see I am a highly biased Ping fan. So, take my opinions with that in mind. I have owned dozens of sets of Pings over the years and have never had problem one with them.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Adams has made some great clubs over the years. Yet, they have struggled and are now a "red-headed stepchild" of Taylor Made. I don't feel their quality is where it was when Barney had the company. Others will differ with that opinion.
Ping has simply the best customer service in the industry. Call in any serial number from a set of clubs and they will tell you when they were manufactured and where they were sent to from the factory. They will give you the original loft/lie information so you can see if they have been altered. Ping hold their resale value the best of any in the industry.
From that, you will see I am a highly biased Ping fan. So, take my opinions with that in mind. I have owned dozens of sets of Pings over the years and have never had problem one with them.
This ^^^

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Not to completely disagree with these elder statesmen (Ping's are fantastic) but take a long look at the JPX line from Mizuno. Great sticks!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Not to completely disagree with these elder statesmen (Ping's are fantastic) but take a long look at the JPX line from Mizuno. Great sticks!
Hey!!! If you look back at the posts, I have been extremely complimentary of Mizuno!!! That last post was simply answering his question as to whether the Ping 'G' series would be an upgrade over his current set of Adams irons. You "youngsters" sometimes...............:D:D

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Well dunagan15, as you can see, everyone has a brand or brands they love. Proves my point that there really aren't any bad irons per say. There are ugly irons, old irons, new irons, shiny irons, dull irons, etc. In the end they are a hunk of metal that is formed, cut, welded, ground and shafted into an instrument. There is no magic in any of them despite the OEM's claims. Finding your favorite is a journey. I have shot some of my best rounds with 30 year-old PING Eye 2 irons - same with my PING G10 and Adams A12OS irons. They all work.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Most any of the "X" line from Callaway are great irons. There's a set of X20's at our local Golf USA shop for something like $130, 4 thru SW. And, Callaway has an excellent customer service staff is you would have QC issues EVER with one of their clubs.
And, you cannot go wrong with the Mizzy clubs you mentioned. You might also look for a set of the "G" series Pings. G2, G5... I've had a couple sets of the G20's and have enjoyed them.

Yep, the Cally x lines are crazy easy to hit. X18, x20, x 22 sets should be super cheap 2nd hand.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Hey!!! If you look back at the posts, I have been extremely complimentary of Mizuno!!! That last post was simply answering his question as to whether the Ping 'G' series would be an upgrade over his current set of Adams irons. You "youngsters" sometimes...............:D:D
Can't live with us can't live without us, damn kids!!!

OP
dunagan15

dunagan15

Aug 17, 2008
I found a shop that had some JPX 800 and I was able to try them out. I liked them. They were not as long as the new JPX 850 but that's to be expected. After trying these I was able to find some on eBay that were to my fitting. Stiff flex, standard length. Here are a few photos. Picked them up for $140. 9 iron not pictured but is included.

image.png image.png image.png

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts