• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron shaft flex?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I'm after a new set of irons but not sure what flex shafts to get.

What swing speed fits which flex? What iron should my swing speed be messured with?

cheers MG.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Not sure, to be honest. What shaft do you have on your driver? Or which do you prefer? Most people stick with that on down, or possibly go one back for irons since they swing easier.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I swing very hard and fast with my driver about 105-115mph so I use a stiff shaft. This season I have used mizuno mp30's with S300's & Magregor vip tourney's also with S300's.

The thing is I swing a lot smoother and easier with my irons. I hit some 4 iron's at Nevada bob's in the net my ss ranged from 83-87mph. The doubt set in when I hit some shot's with my playing partners new (old) irons (Maxfli rev black dot) that had R300's in and I seamed to hit the ball a lot cleaner.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
You might consider what Rock has done with the Rifle shafts. They are flighted (I believe he called it) as the club length changes. I too have S300 in my MP 60s but am considering R300 in my 5 and 4 iron.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
The swing speed of a 4 iron will be a lot lower than a driver because the shaft is shorter

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I know that with driver the ss should be 85-95mph for reg & 95mph+ stiff as a rough guide. Not sure of the figures for irons though. I like the idea of r300's in the longer irons. My wedges all have wedge flex that I belive is v.stiff, I get on with these as I swing them aggressivly.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Manchester,

My SS with a driver is 112mph. I use Rifle 5.5's in my irons, and they are considered about half a "flex" too stiff for my 5 iron ss. I like the feel of the firmness, but going down a flex in your iron shafts will make you a better player then trying to muscle the hell outta a set of shafts that are too stiff.

Go have your 5 iron SS checked. That will help you out a little.

How far do you hit your current 5 iron (carry)? Standard length shafts, correct?

I'll do some digging tonightbased on your responses.

Cheers,

R35

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Depends on the feel of the club you are trying to obtain. My driver swing speed is 117 - 122mph and I have hit heave graphite shats in regular flex but I opt for a 83gram stiff flex shaft.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Manchester,

My SS with a driver is 112mph. I use Rifle 5.5's in my irons, and they are considered about half a "flex" too stiff for my 5 iron ss. I like the feel of the firmness, but going down a flex in your iron shafts will make you a better player then trying to muscle the hell outta a set of shafts that are too stiff.

Go have your 5 iron SS checked. That will help you out a little.

How far do you hit your current 5 iron (carry)? Standard length shafts, correct?

I'll do some digging tonightbased on your responses.

Cheers,

R35

Top man R35,

I carry my 5 iron about 175-180 yards. I hit a 4 iron with a ss meter on sunday, it was 83-87mph(Standard Length Loft & Lie). I will go back tomorrow and try a 5 iron.

cheers MG.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
85mph translates to the following:

Rifle 6.0's
RP Project X stiff
DG S300
DG Black Gold S
Dynalite Gold X100

For 85 (avg), you should be maintaining a 188 yard distance average. Just an FYI.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
85mph translates to the following:

Rifle 6.0's
RP Project X stiff
DG S300
DG Black Gold S
Dynalite Gold X100

For 85 (avg), you should be maintaining a 188 yard distance average. Just an FYI.

R35

Nippon?
icon10.gif
That's what, a 5iron swing speed? You are puposely playing a softer flex Rock? Your driving distance blows mine out of the water but my 6iron would be my 188 club, no question.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nippon?
icon10.gif
That's what, a 5iron swing speed? You are puposely playing a softer flex Rock? Your driving distance blows mine out of the water but my 6iron would be my 188 club, no question.

I should be playing 5.0's. But the softer shafts just don't feel right in my hands. I guess that's from years (even when I was 14 I played stiff shafts and shouldn't have been) of playing the wrong shafts.

I did, however, chose the lesser shafts for my SS and love the feel. Lots of guys interchange 6.0's and S300, when they are really night and day. An S300 plays to about a 5.7 in reality.

I hit short but accurate irons. I'm happy with that. Plus, when you drive 285+, who needs long irons? :D

R35

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
i hit my 5 iron about 185 - and i've got rifle 6.0 in my MX23's - i probably need 5.75 - but i didn't dare ask if they made rifles in quarter sizes!

:biglol:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I should be playing 5.0's. But the softer shafts just don't feel right in my hands. I guess that's from years (even when I was 14 I played stiff shafts and shouldn't have been) of playing the wrong shafts.

I did, however, chose the lesser shafts for my SS and love the feel. Lots of guys interchange 6.0's and S300, when they are really night and day. An S300 plays to about a 5.7 in reality.

I hit short but accurate irons. I'm happy with that. Plus, when you drive 285+, who needs long irons? :D

R35

Keep rubbing it in. I will get my distance back. Sad when my longest drive today was about 255... with a 3wood.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
i hit my 5 iron about 185 - and i've got rifle 6.0 in my MX23's - i probably need 5.75 - but i didn't dare ask if they made rifles in quarter sizes!

:biglol:

They do.

You can tip 1/4" off a 5.5 to make a 5.75.

R35

🔥 Latest posts